U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM

513 posts, read 595,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisi1234 View Post
my service dog is also getting ready to pass and we had her since she was 3 years old. I am so worried and I cry myself to sleep. she is my epilepsy dog and I do not know when I we will get anther one so I know how you feel
This thread is from 2007. The dog has most likely passed away years ago.

I had a GSD and she started having problems with her hips going out around 10 years old. Some days she would be okay, others she didn't want to get up. When she was 12.5 she started having kidney issues. We were hand feeding her and giving her IVs every day. It looked like it was the end. Then after two weeks, she got better. She was like her old self out of nowhere. She was fine for another 9 months and then again her kidneys started going, only this time she never got better. We had to put her to sleep which was the hardest thing I have ever done. But she wasn't able to get up, would pee on herself and lay in it. She wasn't eating. And her breath smelled like something was rotting (a sign they are going to die, apparently). I kept hoping she'd recover again but I had to realize it wasn't going to happen. I couldn't let her suffer and watch her wither away slowly.

So we put her to sleep. After a year we got another dog. There was an ad in the newspaper for a free to good home 4 year old golden retriever. When we showed up they wouldn't even let us see where they kept him. They apparently kept him outdoors and who knows if they gave him shelter or what. Apparently they got him "for the daughter" who left for college a year prior and just kicked him out. The poor guys teeth were shaved down because he had been chewing and playing with rocks because that was all he had. so of course we couldn't leave him. He is now 11 and he is a good dog. But you can't compare dogs. The two of them are/were polar opposites. He's a lovable dopey goof ball. She was a protective, nurturing, very keen dog. That's the thing you have to remember. You can never replace a dog, but you can learn to love another one as long as you don't expect a "replacement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Thank you for what you have shared, our GSD is 12 now and we know he has not long. Because of the advice here we can ensure he will not suffer. Thank you all again

Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 740 times
Hi I have a 16-year-old German Shepherd mix. I am heartbroken right now. He is very sick. I am not getting good news from the veterinarian. I don't know what to do. Please advise

Old 01-08-2016, 01:36 AM

64 posts, read 54,768 times
Ivan I am so sorry to hear that it may be time for your beautiful dog to pass over.

If your vet tells you his time has come to an end, you should follow that advice and let him go as quickly and painlessly as possible. It is the final act of kindness we can bestow upon them.

I am a strong believer in allowing animals to go when it is their time and not subjecting them to too much medical intervention which at 16 years of age might not have any effect other than to continue their suffering.

It's never easy to let our beloved companions go but it is a part of the life we share with them.

Many people find it is easiest to have the vet come to their home and administer the shot there, and there are cremation services who will pick up your dog and return their ashes. That's what I have done with the 2 cats and 1 dog I have lost in the past 20 years.

I am so sorry you are losing your best friend. I know how hard it is. If you have a friend or family member who can be with you at this time you should call them. Stay with him to the very end. He needs you right there where he can see and feel you.

Sending you and your boy hugs from Cozy and myself.

Last edited by Cozy&Mommy; 01-08-2016 at 02:25 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 424 times
My German Shepherd is 11 1/2 and he has bad hips and fluid in his lungs. He has now been twisting his body into a C shape when he starts to walk. It seems like its involuntary. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmomma View Post
My German Shepherd is 11 1/2 and he has bad hips and fluid in his lungs. He has now been twisting his body into a C shape when he starts to walk. It seems like its involuntary. Has anyone experienced this?
It sounds like the poor dog could be in a lot of pain. Please take him to the vet.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,634,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It sounds like the poor dog could be in a lot of pain. Please take him to the vet.
Yes, Bearsmomma, it sounds like he could be in a lot of pain. PLEASE take him to the vet. I'm so sorry - I lost my GSD a few years ago at the same age - it's hard.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:03 PM

21,621 posts, read 11,075,550 times
I had a border collie who lost her hind legs. I used to put a towel under her belly holding her up to walk. I dreaded to put her down. I loved her dearly. I finally had to put her down. She lived to a good 13 plus and knew she had a good life.

I have her ashes and will have her buried with me when it is my time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs