Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

218 posts, read 775,071 times

Advertisements

I had a Shepherd mix - she was amazing and lived until she was 16 yrs (I would say she was a medium sized dog - 50lbs?).

I remember her final months - people kept telling me that she would let me know when it was time. The reality was - she did let me know. However I was the one that had to accept it - that was the hard part. When she no longer ate and could not longer stand up by herself - that's when I HAD to accept it was time.

I took her to our vet (who was great) and he confirmed what I knew. It was time to let her go.

Give your pup glucoseamine tablets for her bones and when it's time, you'll know. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
I am reading the most wonderful book about the process of death and dying for us and the animals. It's called Blessing the Bridge, by Rita Reynolds. It doesn't appear to be religious, but it is spiritual. This woman takes it upon herself to help animals through the stages, doing all she can to make them comfortable and learn the lessons they are here to teach us. I love this book! I think I got the last copy from Amazon, but you can probably locate it elsewhere.

This book could change the world!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,199 times
My GSD(Jennie) is of the same age 12.5 yrs and in the last one week she has started behaving almost the same. Not eating at all, no pee and not able to stand. She has started panting heavily for the last 2 days and refuses to sleep as she is breathing hard. We took her too to the vet and it seems fluid is stuck in her body near most of her organs like heart, pancreas, abdomen and lungs. This has caused some blood infection. I am still very hopeful that she will be alright because if it was any other time of her life I know this can be cured. She is a fighter and I am sure she will come out of it. Dogs have very strong senses and they can sense what their owners feel. If we give up, they give up. I intend to live some more years with her.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanka Mishra View Post
My GSD(Jennie) is of the same age 12.5 yrs and in the last one week she has started behaving almost the same. Not eating at all, no pee and not able to stand. She has started panting heavily for the last 2 days and refuses to sleep as she is breathing hard. We took her too to the vet and it seems fluid is stuck in her body near most of her organs like heart, pancreas, abdomen and lungs. This has caused some blood infection. I am still very hopeful that she will be alright because if it was any other time of her life I know this can be cured. She is a fighter and I am sure she will come out of it. Dogs have very strong senses and they can sense what their owners feel. If we give up, they give up. I intend to live some more years with her.

As much as you may not want to hear this, I really need to vent here, after reading your post above.

Your dog is beyond being a senior citizen, and obviously what you write here is that the animal is in discomfort.
Why would you allow your pet to suffer this way in the hope that she "can be cured"?
Cured is what YOU want, not your dog.
Your dog has multiple problems, compounded by it's advanced age.
Do you dog the favor by letting it die with some dignity, instead of some suffering hulk, unable to get around.
Why are you being so dammed selfish?
Sure when it passes, you will feel sorrow, that is a natural response.
That day is going to come sooner or later, so why put it off because YOU are not ready to end it's suffering.
People like you absolutely drive me nuts.
Think of your suffering pet for a change, instead of yourself and you senseless feelings.
Bob.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As much as you may not want to hear this, I really need to vent here, after reading your post above.

Your dog is beyond being a senior citizen, and obviously what you write here is that the animal is in discomfort.
Why would you allow your pet to suffer this way in the hope that she "can be cured"?
Cured is what YOU want, not your dog.
Your dog has multiple problems, compounded by it's advanced age.
Do you dog the favor by letting it die with some dignity, instead of some suffering hulk, unable to get around.
Why are you being so dammed selfish?
Sure when it passes, you will feel sorrow, that is a natural response.
That day is going to come sooner or later, so why put it off because YOU are not ready to end it's suffering.
People like you absolutely drive me nuts.
Think of your suffering pet for a change, instead of yourself and you senseless feelings.
Bob.

No it completely makes sense. This is the first time ever my family is experiencing this and I guess I am just lost. Right now all I am thinking is to give her every possible comfort there can be. The thought of losing her has not even occurred but people kept saying that forced me to search for answers and I found this forum. I guess I just wanted to pour out my feelings through this channel. Nevertheless thank you for your views and to show me a different angle to it.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Please tell me your dog is at the vet. Did your vet discuss euthanasia at all?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Please tell me your dog is at the vet. Did your vet discuss euthanasia at all?

The vet has instructed us to get her everyday for regular treatment as all her tests got finished today. It has been 3-4 days like this and the treatment has just started today. And no, euthanasia has not come into picture yet. We are trying to flush the fluids blocked in her body. We are totally dependent on the vet right now. The main issue is the panting and breathing issue. Can anyone suggest what best can be done here?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
The vet has instructed us to get her everyday for regular treatment as all her tests got finished today. It has been 3-4 days like this and the treatment has just started today. And no, euthanasia has not come into picture yet. We are trying to flush the fluids blocked in her body. We are totally dependent on the vet right now. The main issue is the panting and breathing issue. Can anyone suggest what best can be done here?
Your vet knows more than anyone on this or any other forum. If you want to know more consult the Merck Veterinary Manual. It should be in your local library.

The Merck Veterinary Manual: Cynthia M. Kahn, Scott Line: 9780911910933: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
No it completely makes sense. This is the first time ever my family is experiencing this and I guess I am just lost. Right now all I am thinking is to give her every possible comfort there can be. The thought of losing her has not even occurred but people kept saying that forced me to search for answers and I found this forum. I guess I just wanted to pour out my feelings through this channel. Nevertheless thank you for your views and to show me a different angle to it.
If you are feeling "lost", you need to rise above that, and put your feelings behind, and only think of this suffering animal.
The dog is suffering whether you care to admit it or not.
Too many times I have seen people like yourself who for one reason or another just "must" hold on to their pet, unwilling to let go, regardless of how the animal feels.
That is pure selfishness, no other word for it.
A few years ago,I rode by a man that was "walking" his Shepherd.
He had a towel under the dog's hind legs to support the dog.
I pulled over and asked what was wrong with the dog and he stated her hips had given out, and this was why the towel was used for support.
I asked how long the dog had been like this and he said about three months.
I was absolutely livid.
I asked why he allowed his pet to suffer like that, and his answer, she isn't suffering, and we just can't stand to put her down.
Now if that isn't selfish, I don't know what is.
I suggested he take the dog to the vet, and let the vet decide what is best for the dog.
I left my name and phone number with him, expressing my concern for the dog.
Two weeks later he called to tell me he had the dog put down, and thanked me for cussing him out, and admitted he wasn't thinking of the dog, but the sadness at loosing the dog, which is why he waited so long.
Let your Shepherd die with some dignity.
I will never fully understand why anyone would allow their pet to suffer unnecessarily.
The only reason I can see is just selfishness on the part of the owner.
They put their own feelings before that of their pet.
Bob.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If you are feeling "lost", you need to rise above that, and put your feelings behind, and only think of this suffering animal.
The dog is suffering whether you care to admit it or not.
Too many times I have seen people like yourself who for one reason or another just "must" hold on to their pet, unwilling to let go, regardless of how the animal feels.
That is pure selfishness, no other word for it.
A few years ago,I rode by a man that was "walking" his Shepherd.
He had a towel under the dog's hind legs to support the dog.
I pulled over and asked what was wrong with the dog and he stated her hips had given out, and this was why the towel was used for support.
I asked how long the dog had been like this and he said about three months.
I was absolutely livid.
I asked why he allowed his pet to suffer like that, and his answer, she isn't suffering, and we just can't stand to put her down.
Now if that isn't selfish, I don't know what is.
I suggested he take the dog to the vet, and let the vet decide what is best for the dog.
I left my name and phone number with him, expressing my concern for the dog.
Two weeks later he called to tell me he had the dog put down, and thanked me for cussing him out, and admitted he wasn't thinking of the dog, but the sadness at loosing the dog, which is why he waited so long.
Let your Shepherd die with some dignity.
I will never fully understand why anyone would allow their pet to suffer unnecessarily.
The only reason I can see is just selfishness on the part of the owner.
They put their own feelings before that of their pet.
Bob.

The vet has not suggested anything like this in our case yet so may be that is why I have not gone that far. If this would have been suggested there is no way I d say NO and let her be like this. I can only wish she gets better that does not mean I will force her to live like this. Her comfort and peace is all I wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs