U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,437,970 times

Advertisements

We got a little pug about a month ago. She is 7 months old. We have noticed that since moving to this new home she loves to eat the lint off our new carpet. To the point that she is hacking up some of it everyday!
I am afraid she is going to get sick by doing this but we can't stop her. She gets fed well, in fact I think she is a little fat but she wants to be constantly eating. She has chew toys and we play with her but she INSISTS on scratching the carpet and eating the lint that comes off it! What can we do?
Should we get her a muzzle? I am at wits end.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,135,481 times
Can you spray the carpet with vinegar or bitterapple. That just might do the trick.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,437,970 times
The whole house??? No I don't think so then the place will reek!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,054,439 times
Do you check with your vet? Maybe her glucose level is off and wants to eat all the time since you mention that she is a little fat? Another method I saw on a training DVD is to collect the lint and spray it with diluted bitter apple and give your dog while your dog is scratching the carpet . Continue several times until your dog feels it is no fun to do it. Does your dog have other toys?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:51 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,747,969 times
Get a water bottle and squirt her in the act and tell her NO. Do her nails need trimmed? It might help slow things down.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 AM

2,986 posts, read 6,469,497 times
Is it a brand new home or were there people and perhaps pets living there before? If it was previously lived in and the carpets were cleaned, maybe it is the carpet cleaner taste that is so attractive. I agree with the water bottle recommendation. She'll stop after a few squirts and the water won't hurt your clean carpet!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 AM

114 posts, read 311,017 times
Pugs are FAMOUS for eating anything! It is their nature. Our guy does exactly the same thing...I wish I had a magic cure. The spray bottle filled with water does work as a training tool. Pugs are stubborn, but like all dogs LOVE positive reinforcement, so maybe you can work in replacing the wrong chewing with a favorite chew toy or small treat. Be VERY diligent about anything on the floor! I vacuum at least once a day, and we all constantly scan the floor for contraband.

I don't want to alarm you, but I have 2 stories of people that I KNOW, that have had bad situations like this....the first one ended badly, our friend had a female Pug, about 2 yrs old...she ate a penny and got very ill. Xrays confirmed it. The copper is toxic to dogs, and she passed away within 24 hrs. The other just occurred. My nieces 1 yr old Pug would grab used dryer sheets and run away to chew on them. Of course they were mostly taken away from her. Just the few pieces that she was able to swallow got 'balled' up in her stomach, causing an infection. The vet thankfully diagnosed it properly, and did not have to do surgery. But it was VERY scary and she (the dog) was in alot of pain.

Since Pugs want EVERYTHING in their mouth, I tend to agree with a PP who said Bitter Yuk spray or a diluted vinegar solution might help too....and don't worry about the smell, in the old days, people used vinegar to wash clothes!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,135,481 times
Thumbs up Vinegar

Actually vinegar is used to get rid of smells in the carpet too. When my puppy used to make a potty mistake in the house I used vinegar and she never peed or poo in that spot. The smell will go away after it is sprayed on the carpet and yes you will smell. Before I moved in my rental home I carpet cleaned with water and vinegar to get out the pet smell. It worked. Just a suggestion. It might or might not work for you.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 AM

797 posts, read 2,739,585 times
Be patient she might outgrow this problem. We have 2 pugs, one is 9 the other 8 years old. They both did their share of eating weird stuff as puppies but not anymore. I once found evidence of an eaten color crayon after the fact while potty training. Now the only time they even consider eating something that is not genuine food is when they get in super playful moods (this is rare.) If it is a diet issue you might need to look at what brand of food you are giving her. After several hundred dollars at a specialty vet when the older one was a puppy we finally figured out she needed a more concentrated brand of dog food. Now we feed them both Eukanuba for small breeds, it is more expensive then a basic brand and you won't likely find it at your local grocery store but they do sell it at Petco and Petsmart. We fed them the puppy formula for years and only switched to the adult formula about 3 years ago. They also only eat raw fruits and vegis as treats (bananas, carrots, apples, tomatoes, etc.), never any other processed foods or human left overs. Every vet since as always been amazed at how healthy they are and that they are not overweight like typical pugs.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 14,441,577 times
My 7 year old Dachshund/toy poodle mix eats my carpet too. She started this behavior about 3 years ago, which was 3 years after I adopted her. There were not changes in my living arrangements (same house, same occupants same carpet, same carpet cleaning guy). The carpet under my bed is completely shredded and she's starting biting/eating the carpet in the family room. Last night, she either injured herself in some way or the carpet finally won......I noticed her bottom right incisor was protruding forward (not up) from her mouth. She's having dental surgery right now to have it removed. I doubt that once she heals she'll stop her weird behavior. At first I thought it was separation anxiety related. But why would she start doing it after having her in my home for three years? I still work the same hours and I'm home the same amount of time as before.

Good idea with the squirt bottle. Too bad it seldom happens when I'm around, and I doubt I could crawl under my bed far enough to spray her. By the tiime I walked into my room, she'd stop eating the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or