Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times

Advertisements

There is a simple fix called a shock collar that will stop barking immediately. Too many dog owners consider it cruel, and will instead inflict years of cruel noise pollution upon every human within earshot instead, and without a second thought...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
There is a simple fix called a shock collar that will stop barking immediately. Too many dog owners consider it cruel, and will instead inflict years of cruel noise pollution upon every human within earshot instead, and without a second thought...
Oh right! Because these ~responsible owners who leave their dogs outside barking 24/7 are DEFINITELY going to take the time to learn about the "responsible" way to give their dogs electric shocks.

What an excellent way to treat a neglected dog!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 PM

103 posts, read 164,058 times
Default Thank you for caring for neglected animals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Sounds like such a reasonable request. And if it weren't so pathetic, I'd literally roll on the floor laughing.

At the shelter, dogs are there because of owner surrender (various reasons we won't discuss here), stray which requires a 7 day hold, and bite (even if aggravated) hold.

A dog is tossed into a cement slabbed cage, possibly with another dog, fed once a day, and ignored. Once or twice a day, a rescue/foster will walk in to pick up one or more dogs (and get a chance to look at other dogs). Evaluation? doesn't happen in most shelters. A note is made by some of the more responsible/caring rescuers. A picture is taken by the shelter staff in some cases, not all, to post for "lost dogs".

One of my fosters was listed as a male, brown, quiet but friendly, generic mix. HE turned out to be she and was indeed friendly in that she reacted well to attention but was so petrified she had no spontaneous behavior. I never did get her to jump up to me. (BTW, she's in a very loving home and doing well.)

My current foster was listed as a plain brown dog and she's not at all plain and not really brown - she was just dirty. She was listed as quiet and calm. At first, she didn't bark, never stuck her nose in the trash, and was almost like a stuffed dog. She is so not the same dog 3 months later. She's a quick learner, barks to alert, squeaks at the cats, bounces, and finally plays with toys. No one recognizes her as the same dog.

The point is this: you can't just walk into a shelter and get reliable info on the dog. It's scared, angry, abandoned, injured even. What you see is not what you will wind up with behaviorally.
Question: do shelter workers ever train these dogs? I mean, since they are there with the animals all the time? Most people these days are working so when they buy rescued animals, they are not taking the time to train them, which seems rather extensive.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Thumbs down Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
:cryi ng:

Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
How about we put one on you after you've been left by yourself for a while, and every time you try to speak shock you with it?

I despise shock collars. Prong collars too while Im thinking about it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Amen! What is up with torturing one's pet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
How about we put one on you after you've been left by yourself for a while, and every time you try to speak shock you with it?

Hey, do you know if those invisible fences employ the same basic technology? And if humans cross the threshold, do they get shocked, too?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

Right?

Ok but they really aren't similar. A prong collar doesn't close all the way there's a link that prevents it from choking the dog like a choker chain does. And they do work for very powerful dogs who don't feel the normal collar because of the neck being all muscle. Small or large. I've sold them to people and had the people put them on first and they're always surprised that it doesn't hurt at all. But they are NOT for aggressive dogs or red zone cases, really.

I had a lady, thin and frail, about to have a double mastectomy and her "trainer" put a shock collar on the juvenile Shar Pei. He kept trying to kill her senior dog and almost broke her shoulder over and over. The dog was smarter than her and used to race her to steal the controller thing off the counter for the collar and run outside and hide it. I had to really laugh when I went to her house and watch him plan his strategy and beat her every time.

I put a prong collar on him and he was a perfect angel. Of course it has more to do with human energy than the collar but he REALIZED he was wearing it so just walked normally when it was on. That AND a bungee cord for her if she didn't use it. I'm not so sure she ever got the point, though, because she was one of these low key hippy type people with weak energy who really didn't need a young powerful dominant dog in the house. Which is what surprised me that she'd ever even CONSIDER a shock collar.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-11-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
Hey, do you know if those invisible fences employ the same basic technology? And if humans cross the threshold, do they get shocked, too?
Yeah here's a human testing it and zapped himself GOOD on level 4. The same level he uses on his little dog. Who won't even go anywhere NEAR the fence line in this video.

Watch me test the Dog Invisible Fence Shock Collar! - YouTube

Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM

That is so effed up! Why can't people just tie up or fence in their dogs?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
To the best of my knowledge (which is limited) I believe invisible fences also employ a special type of collar that sends a signal to shock the dog when they approach. I refuse to use that also, as I have an escape artist Golden and to the best of my understanding those things keep shocking him even if he is well past the barrier it is supposed to create.

My solution with him will be to run a line around the perimeter of the chain link fence (similiar to the electric fence used with horses, with much lower voltage) and allow him to be zapped once, perhaps twice to teach him to simply stay away from the fence....I dont like it, and my husband and I have fought over it, but it is the last resort I can think of to keep him in the yard and not get himself killed.

This is my plan for keeping in Houdini..only it will be against chain link...and yes, if I touch it while its on, I get zapped too.

File:Electric fence 01.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Right?

Ok but they really aren't similar. A prong collar doesn't close all the way there's a link that prevents it from choking the dog like a choker chain does.

And they do work for very powerful dogs who don't feel the normal collar because of the neck being all muscle. Small or large. I've sold them to people and had the people put them on first and they're always surprised that it doesn't hurt at all. But they are NOT for aggressive dogs or red zone cases, really.
Im aware of the difference...However Im more in favor of a Halti (Head collar similar to horse harness) and have had excellent results from one with both of my 85lb dogs. Ive tried on one of those prong collars around my own neck (looked stupid in the pet store too ) and was not a fan. They work for some, but many who have them dont know how to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs