Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,176 times

Advertisements

I have a barking dog nearby. He is outside constantly and always barking. I have complained to the owner but he told me it is not a big thing. He said, "Dogs Bark, that is how they communicate". He said, "if you want quiet move to the country, where there are no neighbors". No matter how hard I tried I could not convince that man that his dog was disturbing the neighborhood.

Later I called the Police but they ignored my complaints. The dispatcher told me the the same thing, dogs bark, that is how they communicate.

Maybe I am in the wrong, and popular thinking is a dog that barks all day and night is perfectly all right. Your thoughts.

Last edited by goodtype; 11-12-2007 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
the minute I hear Cody bark outside he gets called in. Usually he barks when he wants in or someones at the door and he's outside.

I am not bothered by dogs barking at all, but my dogs bark is high pitched so I try to prevent it.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I don't believe that any dog really wants to or needs to bark all day. If they have that much to be communicating about, they are probably complaining about something. The dog probably wants to go in or is just plain bored. Sad, really...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yes, it is sad and wrong. barkingdogs.net will fill you in on the ridiculous legalities behind getting any noise controlled. And give you tips.

I have an NFH who has a dog that does this, in addition, he has trained it to bark at us. Nice guy huh? Luckily barking dogs don't bother me.

When we had dogs, I used to pull mine in after about 10 minutes, so they wouldn't bother anybody. BUT, now, if we ever got another dog, I doubt I would care. Let our MFH suffer the way he makes us.

Yes, dogs barking incessantly are rude, and the people that own them typically have some sort of personality disorder.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,418 times
I would say that you should personally euthanize the owner and then just "happen" to be there to adopt the dog (aka give it a better home where its not outside all the time)

Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Dogs don't just bark to communicate. That's a ridiculous statement. Dogs bark either to protect their territory/hunt or just plain bored. Apparently, your dog next door is bored to death, there is no human interaction, care or training has not been provided to this dog. I would check for your local noise ordinance and go from there.
Talking to morons usually doesn't work.
Good luck!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
The second my dogs bark, they have to come inside. We have invisible fence, so they have some freedom, but if the abuse the freedom, the lose it I don't want to listen to them bark and they're mine, I can't imagine my neighbors want to hear it! Unfortunately, my one neighbor doesn't feel the same way, and their dog barks ALL day long, even when he's inside...he's awful, I can hear him from inside their house when I am inside mine!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Cleo generally has a good reason for barking, Tony however enjoys telling me about everything; birds in the sky, leaves falling etc. etc. So if I let them out during the wee hours he wears a no bark collar for the 15-20 minutes they are outside. Being inside dogs they aren't left out all day/night to carry on.

Sounds like your neighbor's dog is begging for attention

Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
My dogs bark when people pass by which is constantly...due to the walking/bike path that runs behind my house. I keep them in late at night and early in the morning...but the several times they are out during the day if they bark they bark...I only leave them out with out me for 20 or 30 minutes at a time...but even then neighbors complain. But I can't control the activity behind the fence.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If my dogs do anything more than a couple of barks or a squirrel chase, I bring them in, especially the beagle, who has the hound dog yowl.
I don't leave them outside for very long, especially if I'm not with them. My neighbors aren't TOO close, but I know of at least three dogs nearby who start barkng in their houses if they hear mine outside.
My neighbors seem to extend the same courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs