Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,631,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
When was the last time you saw a pit bite somebodys head off ?
bite somebody's head off, kill a child, it's all the same!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Your dog is a problem too Greenie. Its not just the owners of bigger dogs. If my dog had bitten as many people as yours he would be put down. I put down my lab / retriever X because he tried to bite two children. She has broken skin which is bad, but chasing motorcycles is unacceptable IMO. Your dog could kill a motorcyclist by chasing him. I am a motorcyclst who has been chased on many occasions (none by pitbull btw) and luckily im calm and know how to get away with it, a biker who dosent can die. Thats a huge problem

It just gets me that its OK for a 25lb dog to bite and be agressive and not a bigger one. Least tahts what I got from your post. Sorry if I read it wrong.
i dont think the problem in discrimination against pitbulls has to do with their size. i think it has to do with the power of their bite/jaw and the inability to get them to let go.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
bite somebody's head off, kill a child, it's all the same!
It's a physical impossibility for a pit bull to "bite someone's head off". The exaggeration is unfair to the dogs and only reinforces the "supernatural" qualities some are ascribing to the breed.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i dont think the problem in discrimination against pitbulls has to do with their size. i think it has to do with the power of their bite/jaw and the inability to get them to let go.
They are entirely capable of letting go !

You're making claims that are ficticious.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I chose to own them because I grew up around them and the love for them just stayed with me. I do like other breeds but they are my favorite. I love the look, size, determination, loyalty and working ability.

What do stats say. Here there have been 2 fatalities by Pit Bulls in 10yrs. That to me isn't something to worry about. Since I know my dogs are well bred and raised correctly I shouldn't have a problem. People are pretty much fearful without knowing anything-that is there problem. Here the cops get a lot of calls here about mean Pit Bulls running loose. Sometimes it isn't even a Pit Bull and other times it is a loose Pit Bull but not the lease bit mean. They do also see them when they raid a drug house and these "guard dogs" are usually more then friendly. Misguided idiots get them for guards when that goes opposite of all the years of culling human aggressive dogs.

Anyone who owns a dog, especially a medium-large breed should always know if their dog bites/attacks they could have a law suit. It just depends, the golden/lab which mauled a little girl was owned by someone we know. She was the babysitter, the dog tore her apart, her mom settled outside of court from the insurance for a lot less money. This is because she is selfish though, she was excited and said lets just settle and split the money to the babysitter. It was sick as she didn't even care about her kid who will need surgeries throughout her life, only money.

Anyway no I'm not really worried. Since they are extremely friendly and will accept almost anyone and only want attention I don't see why I would be worried about a law suit. I'm more worried about them being stolen then anything else. People often steal them for resale, fighting, or just because they want them, this has happened often in my area.

I especially shouldn't be worried about loved ones. My parents and in laws both have Pit Bulls so they are fine with the dogs. I'm not sure there are too many other breeds I'd fully trust around kids. Our late female took to any child, like it was her own. Even before we had any kids she stopped my husbands cousins son from running in the street and corralled him back. The only bad thing she did was eat his crayons and got sick. At dog shows she would watch my son and never wanted him out of her sight. They also take the "beatings" of kids as play and affection. Kids should be taught to respect dogs but when they are really little they are curious and still learning about their world. So they might hit, pinch, pull, ect.
Now if I owned another breed like a Rhodesian Ridgeback I wouldn't trust them to put up with small children and wouldn't expect them to accept unknown children. They can be good with them when raised with them and the kids don't bug the dog. That is why they are really recommended for older children. Because they don't like how little kids might treat them. I go by the breeds traits on my level of "concern" and what to do and what not to do. That makes sense to me and thought it would be the most logical.

I do realize they could harm other dogs, but since I live out in the country there are not really other dogs out and about too often. I take mine on walks and to dog shows but they are fine. They have been attacked by other dogs but not attacked other dogs. If you have looked at any of the Pit Bull threads you might have seen Vipette a little pup, her great great Grandma was attacked by an Australian Cattle Dog and had to have her head stapled back together. I also know that if something does happen with my dog that I can stop my dog from harming another dog. Having control or knowing how to stop the situation keeps other dogs from getting harmed. So then I won't be sued. I have been bit by a dog also when they attacked my dog and I was trying to stop it.

I don't understand how it is a risk? How can you come here and chose one breed as being a risk? When owning a dog period is a liability. Then the fact that there are several other breeds which could be considered a bigger "risk" of harming a person and having a law suit. I'm more worried of getting a law suit from my Cane Corso then a my Pit Bulls. When I started getting into guardian breeds it was a big adjustment from having super friendly Pits to having a dog that is reserved with strangers and will also exhibit defense of property. Since Pits are human friendly and Corsos are bred as guardians it her natural instinct. I do of course properly train and socialize all my dogs, but I know if someone comes here without permission she might bite or attack them. Where my Pit Bulls let people in the house when I'm not there I'm sure she probably won't when she grows up. We were home the other day when the UPS guy came, but were almost asleep, we heard the front door slam and we thought it was someone breaking in. Really scared me and I know the dogs probably wouldn't stop a true intruder so what was I to think. We have had family and friends come in our home when we are gone, dogs never harm any of them. Including the people they have never met before. I know when my girl (Cane Corso) grows up this might have to stop. She already alerts, where none of my Pits bark at anyone. My friend came here last night my CC sounded pretty scary. I didn't know who it was because the security monitor showed a different car then hers and the dog was barking like that. It was just her though and the dog was just doing what is natural for her.
2 fatalities in 10 years? on what planet? you must be joking.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Don't want to go totally OT here but since you breed, maybe you could answer from a breeder's point of view. Do you think for the purpose of cleaning out the bloodlines of any powerful breed of dog that it would be better to not rescue them because of the unknown or just to spay/nueter them to prevent them from procreating? Meaning that people who are interested in the breed should buy one from a breeder rather than rescue one.
I just saw this, sorry, I've been busy today and on/off. Well rescues are usually spayed/neutered so that is already done. They are not being bred to create more rescues. This is in the general sense, I do know people who have "rescue" and stray dogs they found and want to breed. I kid you not, I have seen it multiple times and was approached for someone who wanted to breed to my male who had a stray female. That shouldn't happen, the only case should be when some idiot ended up with a well bred dog, if that dog is truly worth being bred thats different. But finding a stray that you know nothing about and wanting to breed it? Who knows what temperament or health issues the dog might have.

To me the bloodlines are fine, if you know what you are looking for and research breeders most lines are at least very friendly, even if they have other issues (structure/health). There are so many great bloodlines. Some lines do have poor temperament and known for producing dogs as such. That is why its important to research lines, pedigrees and breeders.

I don't think we should stop rescuing. I have only had one rescue with a temperament issue which is fear of any else besides us. The rest have been great successes. This includes the ones I fostered as I can see how they are still doing great. Some have known lineage but most do not. They were dumped off here, found as strays, abandoned, ect. One was has a very nice pedigree, I know where the dog came from, the breeder tried many times to find and get the dog back as it went from owner to owner. He had a very bad life but still has such a great temperament.

I think going to a breeder is great if you are going to a good breeder. If someone just wants any pup and will buy from a mill they should really just rescue a dog. As the quality is probably the same. I don't see rescues as bad. Most rescues are full of adults (some do have pups) and these adults have been temperament tested and lived in a foster home. This way you do know what you are getting even without lineage. There isn't something "hidden" in the dog that will just cause the dog to turn one day. They all have signs, if the dog isn't out right aggressive or doesn't fail a temperament test it should still have signs of being unstable. Those are the dogs IMO which should be put down to prevent them from being adopted to unsuspecting people. Dogs like this are often put in homes which is bad. There have been people who do adopt from rescues and end up with a horrible dog. You really have to know the rescue as well as you know a breeder. 2 dogs I got as fosters were basically rescued from a "rescue"! They had 2-4 dogs per kennel, some with obvious illness of which some were contagious, they had far more dogs then they had a permit for and were trying to care for over 100 dogs with only 3 people. They also had dogs fighting and injuring each other because they had dominant or food aggressive dogs kenneled together. I later found out of people who adopted from them and ended up with a nightmares. They had dogs with health problems and temperament problems they would readily adopt out. Some were serious temperament problems that I observed but might not always be displayed when someone comes to see a dog or if a dog is brought to a potential adopters home. However they should know this. She wouldn't put any dog down though no matter what. They did no home checks and had no contracts either.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
They are entirely capable of letting go !

You're making claims that are ficticious.
then why do i hear of the jaw needing to be pried apart very often? am i imagining all these news stories i've heard/read over the years? maybe alot of you dont watch the news or read the papers? maybe alot of you are actually in denial? maybe i am TOTALLY wrong about pit bulls. i really am not sure but im just believing what i see and read and hear. who could blame me really? I started this thread because i wanted to try to get inside a pit owners mind as to why they would want to take such a risk. maybe pitbull owners are just risk takers in general?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It's a physical impossibility for a pit bull to "bite someone's head off". The exaggeration is unfair to the dogs and only reinforces the "supernatural" qualities some are ascribing to the breed.
youre taking it all too literally. i didnt actually mean bite someone's head off. maybe i was being "facetious".

Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,893,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
More might be achieved but I don't go to an online forum to save the world. I thought it was to have fun and talk with other APBTs and share about your dog(s). Just like people do here in an all breed setting they do on Pit Bull forums with other APBTs owners.

I agree with the saving the breed and BSL which is much more effective in having a formed group of selective APBT owners who are responsible, ambassadors and will fight for their breed. An online forum can't do much there. We also have an APBT club which I would like to change to an endangered breeds club shortly. Of course thats the best route for our dogs.

I just get really, really tired of the negative, media hyped, non-APBT owner that likes to spew nonsense.
Or start threads just to flame the topic. And this topic seems to do just that, not just in this forum, but all over the board.
I can think of one person in particular that set out to do just that in another forum on here and then the snowball begins...it's a waste of time.
It would be nice if people would do a search first before they post a topic of this nature...JMO.

And as I can see this thread is on it's way to an avalanche.

*I've formed several friendships on this BB with APBT/Amstaff owners as well*...

Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM

okay, well i was truly wondering why of all the breeds you have chosen a pitbull and i still dont really understand but thanks for the discussion. i was truly trying to understand and that was the intent of the OP. i wonder about alot of things and sometimes it is easier to just post instead of doing a search. your main point seems to always be that it is the owner that is bad and not the breed. this reminds me of those bumber stickers i have seen that say "guns dont kill people, people kill people". so i guess it all depends on how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs