Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times

Advertisements

Wisdom Panel does not claim 100% accuracy. Their FAQ page is very informative. I too sent in 2 DNA samples, of a dog that looks almost pure pittie, and a dog that looks unidentifiable pit bull type dog, without sending or posting pictures, and both came back 50% American Staffordshire Terrier. They don't test for American Pit Bull Terrier but the 2 breeds are almost identical genetically. That can't be a coincidence. True, if someone wants 100% certainty, the DNA test can't give you that. But in my experience, it's at least pretty darn close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,754,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ooooh, I'm tempted. I'd love to know if Nanners has Shar Pei in her, as so many people think she does.
I'd say she does Jack. The eyes, shape of her head and all that extra skin.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
[quote=TinaMcG;30970939.............., Red and White Setter, ............................................a possibility of (get this) Mexican Hairless (Xolo-something)!! ............................[/quote]

Sorry, but I think the chances of 2 mongrels, in the same household even, having Red and White Setter or Xolo in their background to be beyond the realm of the ridiculous. Those are 2 extremely rare breeds, very close to being non-existant in the USA, and certainly not dogs who are allowed to wander around producing mongrels.

As far as I can see the genetic breed identification using DNA is no more than a rip-off. I've seen far too many really bizarre and impossible results sent back. I don't believe that there are breeds specific genes for different breeds of dogs.

Irish Setters don't have an Irish Setter gene. They have a gene for red coat, a gene for 60 pounds, a gene for medium coat, a gene for feathering. A gene for loose lips............ It's the total combination of hundreds of genes that makes "Irish Setter" not one specific identifiable gene that makes "Irish Setter"

Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,304,298 times
I didn't realize posting this would bring out so many experts in the field of genetic testing.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,712,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ooooh, I'm tempted. I'd love to know if Nanners has Shar Pei in her, as so many people think she does.
Eep, I am too. My Vito has been identified as Spinone Italiano mix, most likely mixed with Wire-haired Vizsla. (He came to me through Spinone Rescue). However, while he does look a lot like both of those breeds (he also looks a lot like a wire-haired pointer), in my research I have found many many pictures of Pudelpointers that look almost EXACTLY like Vito. Actually, except for his tail, which is not docked, he looks pretty much identical to a Pudelpointer.

BUT Pudelpointer is not an AKC recognized breed, so I don't think the DNA test would identify it. But....maybe it would??

Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Eep, I am too. My Vito has been identified as Spinone Italiano mix, most likely mixed with Wire-haired Vizsla. (He came to me through Spinone Rescue). However, while he does look a lot like both of those breeds (he also looks a lot like a wire-haired pointer), in my research I have found many many pictures of Pudelpointers that look almost EXACTLY like Vito. Actually, except for his tail, which is not docked, he looks pretty much identical to a Pudelpointer.

BUT Pudelpointer is not an AKC recognized breed, so I don't think the DNA test would identify it. But....maybe it would??
Their database includes 200 breeds. You could check their website to see what they test for.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
If it's not in the database, I'd think at least some poodle and pointer DNA would show up instead, since that is the basis for the breed in the first place.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times
The bizarre results usually come from contamination in the sample. I read some really good tips online that weren't included in the kit. In addition to not feeding your dog for a period of time, you shouldn't let him or her have water or lick anything. I think the suggested time period was 2 hours.

Almost everyone assumes that my dog is a pit bull mix, but I never thought she was. Her DNA results said that she is one-half German Shepherd (that would explain her large ears that naturally stick up and her narrow face), one-quarter Boxer (that explains her body shape), and one-quarter Labrador Retriever. Labrador surprised me, but my dog is very food driven and has a tendency to pack on weight like a Labrador. I know this may sound stupid, but the Labrador would explain her cuteness. I'm not saying that Boxers and German Shepherds are ugly; they just aren't what I consider to be cute. My dog still has puppy-like features. The one thing that's off is her size. She is the size of a small Boxer even though she's supposedly mixed with two larger breeds.

My dog is white. I don't know if that comes from having an ancestor that was a white German Shepherd or white Boxer. When I look at pictures of white German Shepherds, their ears look exactly like my dog's ears. The DNA results also said she potentially has a small percentage of other breeds in her: Argentine Dogo (she kind of looks more like this breed than the primary breeds), Irish Water Spaniel, Rottweiler, Boston Terrier, and Gordon Setter.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
I'd be really interested to know if anyone with a purebred dog has tried these DNA places? I'd love to know if it came back with 100% such-and-such breed.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'd be really interested to know if anyone with a purebred dog has tried these DNA places? I'd love to know if it came back with 100% such-and-such breed.
If you look on the Wisdom Panel Facebook page in the area where people post their dogs' photos, you'll see some purebred results. I recall one that was a diagram of Staffordshires from top to bottom. I had to chuckle because it sure didn't look anything like the reports we got for our Heinz 57s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs