Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Salmonella does not affect dogs as it does humans.
That's a very important distinction. The vast majority of "Salmonella Recalls" are due to health concerns for the people handling it and not practicing safe pet food handling. Very few are because the dog can get sick.

I think it's also important for people to understand the way pet food labeling is done. Meat/poultry/fish are the most commonly deceptive ingredient listed on dog food labels. It’s also the most widely exploited item in marketing. Its deception is based on the average consumer's ignorance over "weight". Since ingredients are listed based on actual weight, a dog food with chicken and salmon listed as #1 and #2 probably will have less "meat" in the final product versus one using meat "meals". My vet said for every pound of raw meat entering into the process, it will yield only 3 oz. of the equivalent meal. So a pet food starting out with 2 lbs. of meat will end up with less meat than one using only 7 ounces of a meat meal. But the one with the meat meal can’t show meat and they have to list it where it fits into the weight going into production (not after) even though in the end, it’s the same thing.

WE talk about the bad marketing practices of these multi-nation commercial pet food producers, but let’s face it, the designer and specialty brands with their “meat is the first ingredient” are lying to you just as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I started out cooking food for my rescue rat terrier, Jackie, last year and she was sick a lot. I was feeding her meat, rice and veggies mainly. And she gained too much weight. I put her on Kirkland brand healthy weight food, and she never gets sick, her coat is super shiny and she's just doing great.

I'm not sure if she had some minor illness for a few months, or what, but putting her on the Kirkland kibble seems to have straightened out whatever the problem was, and kept it from reoccurring.

I do give her a little bit of healthy human food, too, to augment her kibble. Tonight she got a little baked salmon with rice and carrots (my dinner).

But, I'm sold on the Kirkland Healthy Weight food for Jackie. I believe it worked out to around 80 cents/pound for a 40 pound bag, if I recall correctly - about $32.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
So, are you implying Canadian dog food manufactures will NEVER have a recall of dog food?
Of course I wasn't saying that. I was only saying that the laws are stricter (currently) in Canada, so the chances of a recall are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs