U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM

273 posts, read 1,215,927 times

Advertisements

I know there are people that think they're cruel, but I've never seen my dog happier. 2 days after purchasing and using these two things, both of her major problems have almost totally disappeared and she walks around with a smile all day long. For background, her problems were that she started pulling again recently for no reason even though she was a good loose walker and heeler before, and she constantly was barking at every little thing, sometimes even silence for sometimes 20 minutes or more. The worst was when another dog on a leash is around her while shes on a leash, she goes nuts, pulls and barks, no matter what I do to get her attention or what correction I used. With the no-bark collar she only got lightly shocked 2 times the first 10 minutes she was wearing it, and she hasnt barked since, and the prong collar she walks perfectly, and pulling when seeing another dog was minimal. Today is only two days later, and a dog she usually goes straight after was just outside, and sadie went right up to her, no growling, no barking or hard pulling, and they just kissed and sniffed. I cant believe how quickly, and effectively they worked, and how much happier she seems with such clear non-human boundaries set for her. no wonder k9 police units use them!

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-10-2008 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,214,591 times
Good! I've used prong color before, and i've trained my male with E-collar as well. The cruelty of it comes from lack of knowledge on how to use tools for training. That is what they are, tools! If people do more research on how to apply tools given, there won't be cruelty involved.
I'm gald you're responsible and caring owner and help your dog to be successfull.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM

133 posts, read 694,405 times
Glad to hear. Amazing how obedient a dog will become once it realizes it can't get away with being bad.

If you didn't know already, prongs need to be worn a specific way to be effective and prevent damage. Also, some recommend a second collar along with the prong in case the links come unhooked.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,476,811 times
I like the prong collar, also. My 13 lb Bichon would always pull with the harness and conventional collar dragging me too fast. Now, he walks at my pace and it is not a 'struggle'.

I don't advise slipping the collar on; however, since you can injure your dog's eyes. There are right and wrong ways to use them. They have to fit properly. Also, do not leave the collar on all the time.

How to fit a collar and using the pull versus non pull ring:

How to fit a Prong Collar

---
With regards to a barking collar, I never needed one with my particular dog. I know that it shouldn't be used 24/7, either.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM

273 posts, read 1,215,927 times
[quote=titaniummd;1989119]
I don't advise slipping the collar on; however, since you can injure your dog's eyes. There are right and wrong ways to use them. They have to fit properly. Also, do not leave the collar on all the time.

quote]

lol I would hope that people werent slipping them over their dogs head out of common sense, even if they had fitted it improperly enough to fit over the dogs head (which is unlikely unless your dogs head is smaller than their neck haha). Leerburg definitely has some good reading, but like any reading, everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt and tried in moderation first. I agree about the proper fitment, I've seen tons of people with prong collars at petsmart who had it so low on their dogs necks, then get defensive when I mention it is meant to be worn high behind the ears. I know its hard not to come off as a know it all in those situations, but I just like to pass on knowledge

Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM

1,311 posts, read 6,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I like the prong collar, also. My 13 lb Bichon would always pull with the harness and conventional collar dragging me too fast. Now, he walks at my pace and it is not a 'struggle'.

---
With regards to a barking collar, I never needed one with my particular dog. I know that it shouldn't be used 24/7, either.
You know I did not know that about the collar. ANyone know how to properly put a lead collar on?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:02 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,215,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

---
Great info......thanks for the link !

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
You know I did not know that about the collar. ANyone know how to properly put a lead collar on?
If you mean a standard collar, there really isn't a right or wrong way other than make sure they are not too tight (or too loose).

Prong and dominant collars are worn high because that is where they need to be to be effective and not cause damage.

On a related not, IMO, collars of all types should be taken off anytime the dog is not supervised. It's too easy for a dog's collar to get caught on fence posts, bushes etc creating a possible choking hazard.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM

1,311 posts, read 6,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvflyer View Post
If you mean a standard collar, there really isn't a right or wrong way other than make sure they are not too tight (or too loose).

Prong and dominant collars are worn high because that is where they need to be to be effective and not cause damage.

On a related not, IMO, collars of all types should be taken off anytime the dog is not supervised. It's too easy for a dog's collar to get caught on fence posts, bushes etc creating a possible choking hazard.
Actually, what I am asking about is sometimes called The Gentle Lead or Head collar. It's a great humane tool that teaches dogs to not pull and tug on their leash without the painful negative reinforcement. I have one, but it's a bit strange to apply.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Ahhhh. I know them as "Halti's".

http://www.doglogic.com/collars.html (http://www.doglogic.com/halter.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs