Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM

360 posts, read 399,944 times

Advertisements

I feel extremely mad and humiliated today. Let me begin by saying that I was attacked by a dog as a child so I have an inherent fear of dogs. Although I have overcome most of it but I still get a little nervous when surprised or encountered by an aggressive animal.

I got a new bike and decided to go for a little spin on neighborhood trail that leads to the greenway. At one place this trail passes between 2 houses, one of which is fenced and has a large dog. When the dog saw me approaching it started racing along the fence aggressively and barking at me. It was jumping up and down and I was afraid that it might jump over the 4 ft fence so I decided to turn around and head back. However the owner came out and followed with his dog on a leash. he even followed me to my street and to my house. I did not confront this person but it was pretty evident he wanted to ensure whether I live in this neighborhood.

It's one thing that I didn't feel comfortable crossing a path due to an aggressive dog, but to be followed by the owner is extremely humiliating. I'm non confrontational by nature but I feel that I should be able to go about my business in my own neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
In what way did this person prevent you from going about your business? They were probably doing exactly what you think; making sure you're not casing the neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
How can a person walking a dog keep up with a person riding a bike? They would have been a speck on the horizon within 2 minutes. Perhaps you have a very hilly neighborhood?

I agree with the last poster. Perhaps this neighbor has had a problem with crime, considering that his house is right on the access to the greenway. He probably has the dog as a security system.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
I got a new bike and decided to go for a little spin on neighborhood trail that leads to the greenway. At one place this trail passes between 2 houses, one of which is fenced and has a large dog. When the dog saw me approaching it started racing along the fence aggressively and barking at me. It was jumping up and down and I was afraid that it might jump over the 4 ft fence so I decided to turn around and head back. However the owner came out and followed with his dog on a leash. he even followed me to my street and to my house. I did not confront this person but it was pretty evident he wanted to ensure whether I live in this neighborhood.
Was the dog aggressive toward you once it was on leash and out of it's yard? Could it have been a coincidence the owner was taking the dog for a walk and went the same direction as you?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I can't wrap my head around the logistics of this story. By the time the owner came out, leashed the dog, and came out of his fenced yard, you should have been 2 miles down the road. How me managed to follow you home, is beyond me. I think there's more to this story, or no story at all.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Isn't it possible that the guy decided to take his dog for a walk on the trail as well, especially since it was barking in the yard?

This seems strange to me as well - surely you could have kept riding your bike past the house with the dog and gone along on your way, and surely you could have outpaced them on your way home?

I'll be the first one to flip out over an aggressive UNleashed dog but in this case I don't see what was wrong.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM

606 posts, read 903,469 times
Agree with the other posters. I'm wondering how he stayed up with you if you were on a bike. In the future if you feel threatened and that you are being followed, I don't know that I would lead that person back to my house so they knew where I lived. I think I would just keep riding my bike away from the situation.

Oh and I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Agree with the other posters. I'm wondering how he stayed up with you if you were on a bike. I
Not everyone has a state of the art, fast bicycle.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 AM

360 posts, read 399,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Agree with the other posters. I'm wondering how he stayed up with you if you were on a bike. In the future if you feel threatened and that you are being followed, I don't know that I would lead that person back to my house so they knew where I lived. I think I would just keep riding my bike away from the situation.

Oh and I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums.

well I was on the trail that loops around and he cut through a street. he then saw me going into my street and followed me. keep in mind i'm new to biking so i wasn't actually breezing past. i know it's hard to imagine unless you are familiar with the topography.

Also the fact that this guy was in his work clothes and had a beer bottle in one hand. didn't look like he was out walking is dog in general.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
I think anyone - scared of dogs or not - would be a bit startled by a large aggressive dog even if it is behind a fence. And I think any of us would feel a bit bothered if we felt someone was following or checking up on us. We don't think of ourselves as the type of people who generate suspicion.

So you may just have had a homeowner who is a bit weird - keeps a large aggressive dog, follows people he doesn't know, etc. Not much you can do about that except perhaps avoid that path if it makes you nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs