Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,880,497 times

Advertisements

Dawn! You don't have to do anything about this--but thank you for looking. No, please don't bother your new vet (we want to keep her Artie-friendly).

Yes, very frustrating, to be sure. I wonder how many very disturbed dogs are in need if this older, very inexpensive, very safe medicine, and can't get it? She can't function even close to normally without it. She's just barely manageable with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM

37,085 posts, read 41,208,111 times
Just read your previous thread on Winnie.

It looks like one of the alternatives originally considered was Prozac. Have you thought about trying that until the clomipramine is available again, as it surely will be?

The shortage is due to problems at Novartis plants that got them in hot water with the FDA.

This article is from March of last year.

Veterinarians frustrated by Novartis backorders - VIN

Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,880,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzie526 View Post
you won't be able to do this much longer.

I went in to Walgreen's today to refill my dog's 25mg clomipramine prescription (been taking for years). Last month it was $15. This month, it was over $400. Better call your vet and tell him you need a new medication and switch over while you still have some left. I am COMPLETELY out of pills. My vet said Walgreen's was the last place they knew that had clomipramine for the normal price. I have three dogs due for shots/vists this month so $400 isn't going to happen. It's despicable how they jack up prices when things are scarce. I'm waiting on a return call to see what we're going to do about this....
The main manufacturer who made clomipramine stopped making it. THAT IS THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM.

It costs money for the OTHER companies to ramp up their production - IF they decide to make it at all. When the OTHER company was the primary supplier the OTHER companies didn't need to invest so many operational dollars into it. Yes there may be some scalpers just like concert tickets but for a different reason.

A friend of mine does quality control for a medical device company. They just got a contract to purchase a large amount of a device and they had to hire about 50 new people AND start working extra shifts, AND more equipment etc.

The alternative is to not use the drug. You can't force a company to produce something cheap just because it's "fair".

Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Clomipramine Information | Wedgewood Pharmacy | Wedgewood Pharmacy

Sometimes compounding pharmacies will have medicines on hand that other pharmacies are running out of. The link is to one that we've used with good results. I don't know for sure that they have clomipramine at a reasonable price but it's possible.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
My girl Guinness has been on Clomipramine since 2008 and I have been scrambling as well. Today I found NorthwestPharmacy.com while I was looking for a Vancouver source. I found my 50mg in an 84 pkg for $31. I called and confirmed availability which they had in stock. They will ship up to a a 12 month supply. I had already scheduled a vet appointment in an attempt to figure out what to do as Guinnness is 12+ years and switching would really be difficult. Thankfully I was able to have a script written in this form and I called it in immediately. I bought a full years supply.

My vet was also interested in the source as everyone is having issues. Canada may have not had the issues we've had but it may not be far behind. I'll post again when the shipment comes.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
Post Clomipramine shortage - the real scoop

I just talked to my pharmacist so this is the real deal. The shortage has nothing to do with Obama care or Big Government. The drug was once widely used in humans. The vets started to use it under the name clonicalm. It was available as a fairly inexpensive generic. Over the past 5 or so years many manufacturers have stopped making the drug because it is not widely used in humans. Fewer companies making it means less of the medication. Supply and demand, the price goes up astronomically. People still on the drug are getting it from pet sites because it is cheaper and exactly the same drug. This accounts for the shortage on the pet med sites. I started getting it as a $5.00 generic, then the price went up to $30.00, today I went to pick up a prescription and I was quoted a price of over $1200.00. My pharmacist even checked other stores for me. After doing some research she found the supply and demand issue. Her advice was to work with my vet to try another drug in this particular class of drugs and to ween my dog off the clomipramine.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,604 times
Default Clomipramine shortage

You're not crazy - I have run into the same problem and it's still happening in October. I have found it, but at about $10/pill (try HealthWarehose.com)...and even then I wonder if they really have it. This should be illegal! I am using Clomicalm, but I am going to start rationing it down for my dog in case it becomes permanently unavailable. If anyone can tell us what is up with Novartis, there are a lot of us who would appreciate it.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,604 times
Default Clomicalm

The compounding pharmacies were super expensive as well...I am resigned to paying a bit more for Clomicalm as it seems to at least work. I was able to buy some 20 mg tabs at Drs. Foster and Smith. Good luck - I hope Novartis handles this soon.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,880,497 times
We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, and I'm asking to switch Winnie to fluoxetine (Prozac). I like the effects of the clomipramine, but I can't deal with these shortages, and the stress of worrying "will I get it?" every month. (Wait, that sounded more like the worries of a not-so-careful sexually active college student).

Anyway, I'll post on how the transition goes. That is, if I still have all my limbs after the vet appt tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,729 times
Default clomipramine

You can get clomipramine (human generic) at CVS, Walgreens etc. Go to [url=http://www.goodrx.com]Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx[/url] and print the coupon. I just got 60 -50mg capsules at CVS for $34.07 rater than the $520 cash price. My vet told me about the website and all her patients that were on Clomocalm are using it.
Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs