Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Multi-State Dogfighting Raid Saves 367 Dogs : The Humane Society of the United States

I don't want to start a discussion on the topic of dog fighting, but would be interested to learn what happens with the dogs. That is a lot to try to find homes for. The article notes
"ASPCA and The HSUS responders helped manage the removal and transport of the dogs to temporary emergency shelters in undisclosed locations."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
My heart breaks for those precious dogs.

The only way to stop dog fighting is to euthanize the owners.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
It is heartbreaking. And although all the adoptable Vick dogs found homes, it is very difficult to find homes for even the best-tempered, least dog aggressive dogs known to be from a fighting ring. Many people will fuss over the dogs, say how friendly and awesome they are, and walk away. And this is a huge number. Sanctuary space is beyond limited. The publicity will help, but I know fewer of these dogs will make it than they should. Still, I'm glad that they are free and those that don't make i will have a more humane ending than they would have otherwise.
Many of these dogs will need time to decompress before a proper temp test can be done, so this will be a long ongoing process.
I'm glad the feds are going to prosecute these POS's with everything they can.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
The dogs are not saved whatsoever. They will sadly be put to death. Very deceptive when they say dogs are saved only to be euthanized.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM

No, they will be able to save some. And those they don't save will go to the bridge with a painless shot, instead of bloodied and beaten, or shot or tortured for losing. They can not leave dogs in that situation!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
No, they will be able to save some. And those they don't save will go to the bridge with a painless shot, instead of bloodied and beaten, or shot or tortured for losing. They can not leave dogs in that situation!
They don't save dogs from fighting rings at all. The Michael Vick story is a feel good story but this was done more for publicity. Dogs that are confiscated from a fighting ring are not even evaluated for re-homing.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM

I have spent the better part of this year working with a group of dogs rescued from a dog fight in progress. There were some happy endings, some endings that shattered my heart, and some happy endings that are still to come. There is another shelter in our area that has rescued fighting dogs as well. And don't forget the Michael Vick dogs. There was a large bust in either Iowa or Missouri this year also, and many of these dogs are being adopted out.

Last edited by subject2change; 08-27-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Nothing can be done with the dogs except to warehouse them until all the trials are over, a conviction is won, and a sentence passed, complete with a judge's order to remove the dogs from the owner's possession.

So the dogs have been removed from chains and placed into jail cells. Most of them will end up put to sleep. You can't put dogs trained to fight out with ordinary families who might allow the dogs to wander loose in the neighborhood.

Temperaments on the dogs shown on the news weren't all that good and the humane society workers are braver than I am, approaching and squatting next to an unsocialized dog with apologetic tail tucked tight and vibrating and eyes staring. Danger signals to me that the dog is really uncomfortable with the situation.

The ones shown on TV looked like brood *******, so maybe they were never trained to fight and might possibly be salvageable if enough experienced homes can be found that can manage them.

They are going to be lot of work, and there are a lot of them. Cost are going to be enormous to keep them until the owner signs them over or else is convicted. There is no guarantee of a conviction. The dogs might be given back to him.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM

There have to be multiple owners here. Some will probably relinquish their dogs, and some not. Costs will be huge, as you said. I for one will be willing to contribute toward these dogs' care. This is a situation close to my heart.
We have had battle scarred dogs placed into homes with other dogs, remarkably enough. These dogs are sometimes shot up with amphetamines to make them fight, against their own inclination. Others, despite a lot of work, were not safe in the community with other dogs, and did not make it. One was my favorite, and as trustworthy with humans as any dog I have ever known in my life. I will never forget him, stop missing him, or stop hating the scum of the earth that owned him.
As far as their nervousness upon rescue, you would be surprised how many of them will quickly turn around and accept the love shown them by their rescuers. Some dogs are incredibly resilient, and willing to trust even when human kindness is foreign to them. Others will take longer, and of course some will never be rehabbed. But all deserve a chance. The more support that's given, the more that will make it.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
The dogs are not saved whatsoever. They will sadly be put to death. Very deceptive when they say dogs are saved only to be euthanized.
You don't know that.

Many of Vick's dogs are in loving homes. If you'd take the time to look, you would see many pictures of happy families, including some with babies, posing with Vick dogs.

It used to be true that they killed pretty much all dogs rescued from fighting, but not so these days. Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
They don't save dogs from fighting rings at all. The Michael Vick story is a feel good story but this was done more for publicity. Dogs that are confiscated from a fighting ring are not even evaluated for re-homing.
Continuing to say it doesn't make it true. Your mantra is false.

Of the nearly 50 fighting dogs seized from Vick and his associates in crime, one was euthanized for dangerous aggression, 22 of the most problematic came to Best Friends for long-term rehabilitation or court-ordered permanent Sanctuary placement, and the rest went to regional and national pit bull rescue organizations and went up for adoption immediately. So much for the myth that dogs born into the world of dog fighting are “born killers” or “time bombs waiting to go off” — the most common justifications for their summary execution in the past.

The Michael Vick dogs | The Best Friends Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs