Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Things started turning in the late 90's.
With the meteoric rise of the WWW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Our peek a poo used the pads until she died at age 13 and our chihuahua is almost 3 and uses them with no trouble. If my wife could catch either getting into the pee or poop position she would grab them up and take them in and put them on the pad. Peek a poo caught on quick but took the chihuaha a little longer. But not only were we training the chihuahua but the peek a poo was too. Think we only had a couple chewed up by the younger dog. It took less time to train them to let us know when they needed to go out.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yikes. I remember that, as well as the rolled up newspaper. Things started turning in the late 90's.
Yup, right about the time children became accessories and dogs became children.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
Not sure what potty pads (modern equivalent of newspaper that won't leak on the floor as easily) have to do with treating your dog like a kid. And if you resent people sharing tips for doing things successfully online, what are you doing on a forum?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Not sure what potty pads (modern equivalent of newspaper that won't leak on the floor as easily) have to do with treating your dog like a kid. And if you resent people sharing tips for doing things successfully online, what are you doing on a forum?
Thank you. I know dogs are dogs (DUH) but some comments I'm getting on this thread and the other about being a new puppy "parent" are uncalled for. I appreciate all those who have truly left helpful comments.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I wonder, just how did people get their dogs trained before the Internet and all the step by step instructions,videos and marketing accessories?

Treat your dog like a dog instead of a child and they learn rather quickly. Wrap a pamper around their behind, buy all kinds of pads, buzzers, 16 different brushes, dental floss, feed them fruit and vegetables instead of meat and yeah, they will act just like children instead of dogs.

Whatever happened to a dog being allowed to be a dog instead of a child surrogate?
And yet dogs as a whole are better behaved nowadays than I ever remember them being when I was a child. And training methods are more humane. You'd prefer to go back to the days when it was considered fine to beat your dog to punish an error? People DIDN'T let dogs be dogs, and that was the problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Thanks for the info! Stupid question time. Will he whimper at night in his crate to let me know he has to go potty? Or will I need to wake him up on my own?

And for a dog 15 weeks, how long should I wait to take him outside after he eats? And when I go outside, is it best to stand still or walk him around?
He'll probably whimper. Ask the breeder about his ways.

Generally wait no more than 20 minutes. But ask the breeder about him in particular.

DEFINITELY walk him around every time. They need to sniff to trigger elimination in best case scenario.

They need to walk to get the gi track MOVING. Like humans. You can wake up, laying in bed, be on your computer or phone and all of a sudden when you get UP and walk around you need to "go". Same thing. You don't want to encourage a dog to just sniff randomly at his own pace (slow pace) for the entire "outing". THAT type of sniffing is more of a "let me research what and who has been here lately" sniff.

When they are going to eliminate, you'll see them sniff with a PURPOSE and a somewhat determined "WALKING" direction. Some slightly pulling ahead. When he's just standing sniffing casually it's not as much of a sign that he's going to go...when he's WALKING SNIFFING like "tracking" - he's going to go.

You can also see it by looking at his butt - (LOL) it's true. You will see his rear slightly open and pink. Don't laugh pet sitters watch all these things hahaha.

AND they need to learn to walk around on a leash THEN go "for walks" as the best form of exercise anyway.

If you leave the house then come home, take him out. If it's meal time at that time: take him out, then feed, then take him out a second time after eating within about 20 minutes. As a pet sitter this is one of the most important questions we ask "does your dog eliminate before or after eating" and of course, they are getting fewer potty breaks sometimes when the owner is out of town.

I have several clients who have to go "out" twice each visit if it's mealtime. ONCE because they've been waiting hours and the second time after eating. Then again, others not always. They can go out then eat, then stay in. But not a puppy especially.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,357 times
I do apologize if my pet parent remark hit off key... am just trying to convey what I have seen over my years being in the pet care industry.

Owners who tended to talk about their dogs as their "kids" seemed to have a more difficult time correcting naughty behavior, had dogs who were more difficult to be around, and were in general just not nice.

As a pet groomer I dreaded the people that would bring Poopsie in and baby talk to them ... I just knew I was in for a battle. These dogs were many times in not wonderful shape because "he doesn't like to be brushed"... Go get the bandaids and antibiotic creams ...

They tend to worry more about their dog liking them. Read my other post about the non stop barking poodle. His owner cannot bring herself to do anything that may make the dog not like her (if only for a moment) and is worried about hurting his feelings.

So, my apologies.. of course you may do as you wish with your puppy!!! Just food for thought that's all.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
I do apologize if my pet parent remark hit off key... am just trying to convey what I have seen over my years being in the pet care industry.

Owners who tended to talk about their dogs as their "kids" seemed to have a more difficult time correcting naughty behavior, had dogs who were more difficult to be around, and were in general just not nice.

As a pet groomer I dreaded the people that would bring Poopsie in and baby talk to them ... I just knew I was in for a battle. These dogs were many times in not wonderful shape because "he doesn't like to be brushed"... Go get the bandaids and antibiotic creams ...

They tend to worry more about their dog liking them. Read my other post about the non stop barking poodle. His owner cannot bring herself to do anything that may make the dog not like her (if only for a moment) and is worried about hurting his feelings.

So, my apologies.. of course you may do as you wish with your puppy!!! Just food for thought that's all.
Oh no, that makes sense. As much as I say "pet parents," my husband and I have had many pets in our life but this is the first one taking on in our relationship. We do not want to baby him (of course I will want to as a puppy) but I know that he will need to be properly trained. I have been looking at socialization and obedience classes for him. My husband is in the military, so you can say for our age group (mid-20s) it's a little rare for us to not have children. So that's why I was referring us as that. But the last thing we want to do is to have the puppy develop bad behaviors early on that will continue with him throughout his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs