U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:40 PM

10,291 posts, read 6,231,095 times

Advertisements

Title is of course a Bill Murray quote from Ghostbusters. But we have a dog and cat living together problem. We have a new (about a month) 3 year old Maltese (we are the second owners, original owner, a young girl, passed away) and a 10 year old calico and the dog chases the hell out of the cat. The cat now stays upstairs and we have to block access so the cat gets some peace up there during the day. At night, we lock the dog in our bedroom and open the gate half way so the cat can access the kitty litter which is downstairs. We already moved her water and food upstairs. I know the cat torments the dog while he's in the bedroom at times as she'll linger outside the door and meow and the dog growls and barks.

Is there a training regimen to make them more friendly towards each other? Our earlier dog got along fine with this same cat.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM

454 posts, read 601,911 times
I wonder if the smaller "yappier" dogs are more apt to chase and torment cats in the home? Has the Maltese ever been around a cat before being adopted to your home? When it chases the cat is it an aggressive action or just playful and curious? How does the cat respond... with hisses and a paw swat to the dog, or just runs away?

Cats are much faster, agile and wily, and the dog probably would not be able to catch it... be careful too, kitty turning and giving a big scratch along doggie's nose might let the dog know kitty has had enough, and will give up tormenting Miss Calico! ... the down side of this might be a bloody dog-nose and a vet bill!

Best wishes for getting these two to exist in harmony... maybe after a few more months they will end up best buddies!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,571,803 times
Seems easy when the dogs are raised from pups with cats, might be harder with an older dog, of course let the maltese catch the cat once. That will probably be enough

Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
They will probably always live a life of mutual dislike and intolerance. Our cat was 13 when we got him a puppy. He hated the puppy, of course, this was a puppy...he would routinely get on the table and hiss at him. The puppy was stupid, and loved the cat...of course, we also got a kitten, who the puppy loved.

However, the puppy grew to be a dog, and I could never get that prey drive out of him...he would just have to chase the cats around the house, he never hurt them though. He knew it was bad to chase them...

Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,795,280 times
Jackson Galaxy deals with this frequently. You need to give the cat plenty of vertical safe places like shelves and climbing posts. I have a Maltese rescue who loves our cats. He sometimes would really like to play rought with him but they let him know who is boss and there is no problem.
True friendship is possible between dogs and cats.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
I wonder if the smaller "yappier" dogs are more apt to chase and torment cats in the home? Has the Maltese ever been around a cat before being adopted to your home? When it chases the cat is it an aggressive action or just playful and curious? How does the cat respond... with hisses and a paw swat to the dog, or just runs away?

Cats are much faster, agile and wily, and the dog probably would not be able to catch it... be careful too, kitty turning and giving a big scratch along doggie's nose might let the dog know kitty has had enough, and will give up tormenting Miss Calico! ... the down side of this might be a bloody dog-nose and a vet bill!

Best wishes for getting these two to exist in harmony... maybe after a few more months they will end up best buddies!
The cat turns tail and runs. She knows she has no front claws. The dog has never lived with a cat. I look at the action as aggressive as while walking around outside petsmart (pet smart? pets mart? lol) it chompped at a kids shoe and i think he got teeth into rubber (luckily, the kid laughed it off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
They will probably always live a life of mutual dislike and intolerance. Our cat was 13 when we got him a puppy. He hated the puppy, of course, this was a puppy...he would routinely get on the table and hiss at him. The puppy was stupid, and loved the cat...of course, we also got a kitten, who the puppy loved.

However, the puppy grew to be a dog, and I could never get that prey drive out of him...he would just have to chase the cats around the house, he never hurt them though. He knew it was bad to chase them...
That's good to know, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Jackson Galaxy
What is that? Link requires a plug in I don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Seems easy when the dogs are raised from pups with cats, might be harder with an older dog, of course let the maltese catch the cat once. That will probably be enough
The dog will never catch the cat. And I never say never.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,850,124 times
Yes they can, my beloved JRT Gator was a rescue at around 3ish and he came to live with me and my cat Annie who was a beautiful Russian Blue Manx who showed up on my door step one day she was around 2-3ish.

They slept together and hunted together...they were a magnificent pair even though some told me it was impossible to have a JRT and a cat together. Of course Annie was the type of cat that took no guff off of ANYTHING. I saw her run off a full grown snarling lab/pit mix. She did have all her claws, stood on her hind legs and shredded that dogs nose. I had warned my neighbor not to let their dog run loose on my property, we were both out there and watched the whole thing...he couldn't believe what he was seeing as his dog high tailed it back to their property...I had warned him that she was very protective.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Honestly, is this Maltese is mean, and your cat has no claws, I suggest re homing this dog. It is pretty obvious this won't work out...and your cat really deserves your loyalty, to not live a miserable life, as he has been there first.

After all, when we got a puppy and a kitten, it was to actually protect our older cat, from the new baby, and toddler who just wanted to hug him to death. Mickey was a good cat, and he just did not like the baby, or the toddler. No problem, we got the kids their own pets. Mickey was still the king.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
re homing this dog.
obviously the last resort option. i'm the one sticking up for the cat. and there was marching orders to find another home at one point, until we found out that sticking him in his cage at night within the downstairs bedroom calmed him down. so that is buying us some time and as mentioned the cat has her freedom during the other half of the day. he does behave well at the dog park (small dogs) with other owners and other dog. so there is that.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,556,646 times
Here is a protocol for training your dog not to chase your cat. This plan also helps make the cat feel safe and protected from the dog.

Cat is provided a “safe zone” to which dog does not have access.

Exercise below is practiced daily until “safe zone” is no longer necessary.

1) Teach Dog Watch and Leave It. (See videos below).

2) With dog on-leash, release cat into dog area. (Hold end of leash, sit on it, or create a tether attached to a heavy piece of furniture.) Never ever yank on the leash!

3) Ignore “bad” behavior as much as possible. (Dog is restrained/confined and should not be able to do any real damage)

4) Reward with a treat for any steps in the right direction. Examples: Dog looks at cat and stays calm, Dog voluntarily sits or lays down in cat’s presence, Dog looks at you instead of cat, etc.

5) Begin to incorporate Watch and Leave It where appropriate.

6) When dog is generally relaxed in cat’s presence, begin to allow movement throughout the room with dog still on-leash. Reward appropriate behavior. Use Watch and Leave it to redirect unwanted behavior.

7) Final step would be leash attached and dragging behind dog – step on it if necessary. Continue to provide feedback – reward good behavior, redirect inappropriate behavior.

Here's how to teach Watch / Eye contact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMGJBxRtBw

Here's how to teach Leave it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs