Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times

Advertisements

It seems only about half the dog owners I encounter understand that when you PICK UP a dog in the presence of other dogs, it makes them the most vulnerable one in the "pack" and invites other dogs to jump up.

And it's usually the same owners who have annoying little dogs that they didn't bother to train.

If you can't get your dog to "come" when it's time to leave the park, put the leash on to lead them out, but DO NOT pick them up! When the other dogs jump and your own dog freaks out and scratches you as a result - it's your own fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
One of the reasons I would never go to a dog park.
Aside from the fact that I cannot guarantee my dog will come 100% of the time with the distractions of a dog park.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post

little dogs that they didn't bother to train.

If you can't get your dog to "come" when it's time to leave the park, put the leash on to lead them out, but DO NOT pick them up!
So True! All dogs need training, big or small. They must know how to walk on leash for safety reasons, if Nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
One of the reasons I would never go to a dog park.
Aside from the fact that I cannot guarantee my dog will come 100% of the time with the distractions of a dog park.
Good idea! You are a responsible doggie owner/parent!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Why don't people train there dogs to come or walk on a leash For some reason my SIL refuses to train her six dogs to walk on leashes and they are all obese It is a great joy for me to walk my dog and take him to dog parks.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Why don't people train there dogs to come or walk on a leash For some reason my SIL refuses to train her six dogs to walk on leashes and they are all obese It is a great joy for me to walk my dog and take him to dog parks.
Dakota can be stubborn on the leash when he wants to be. I need to knuckle down and train him harder. I never let him off though.
I look at Dakota as my personal exercise machine that gives me the guilt trip if he dosent get walked, works every time :P

Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post

Yes, so frustrating! Dogs would feel good and enjoy the activity. It is a happy thing for them, exercise and exploration! Good for you!!!

but bad for SIL and her poor dogs.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I take my dog across the street to our dog park on a daily basis. Yesterday, there was a woman there with this yappy little dog that was scared of life. Any time another dog came near it, it would cower and whimper. So, the woman picks up her dog, which is not the thing to do in a dog park. My dog, and several others, ran to see what she was doing and she kicked my dog in the face because he was jumping on her and kneed two other big dogs so that they get away from her.

Needless to say, I and the other two owners were less than pleased and made it clear that she is never to return. This is a park for the aparment complexes in the area, so it's not public and we tend to know everyone. Never seen her, so maybe she is new to the area or just got the dog, but I will be sure to not go in there if I ever see her again.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Some crazy woman kicked Porkchop?!

I'm sure "less than pleased" is an understatement.....

Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I take my dog across the street to our dog park on a daily basis. Yesterday, there was a woman there with this yappy little dog that was scared of life. Any time another dog came near it, it would cower and whimper. So, the woman picks up her dog, which is not the thing to do in a dog park. My dog, and several others, ran to see what she was doing and she kicked my dog in the face because he was jumping on her and kneed two other big dogs so that they get away from her.

Needless to say, I and the other two owners were less than pleased and made it clear that she is never to return. This is a park for the aparment complexes in the area, so it's not public and we tend to know everyone. Never seen her, so maybe she is new to the area or just got the dog, but I will be sure to not go in there if I ever see her again.
Excuse me???? Someone kicked "our" Porkchop???? The gloves are off now! Lemme at her!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
It seems only about half the dog owners I encounter understand that when you PICK UP a dog in the presence of other dogs, it makes them the most vulnerable one in the "pack" and invites other dogs to jump up.

And it's usually the same owners who have annoying little dogs that they didn't bother to train.

If you can't get your dog to "come" when it's time to leave the park, put the leash on to lead them out, but DO NOT pick them up! When the other dogs jump and your own dog freaks out and scratches you as a result - it's your own fault.
Maybe I'm not getting something here. But, why don't YOU train YOUR dog to NOT JUMP UP on someone??? Why are you faulting someone for picking up their own dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs