Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

It's a beginning.

Cracking Down on Internet Pet Sales | For the Love of the Dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
this is not a good thing for the dog buying public. Once again, our government is taking away your rights to purchase what you want and where you want to purchase it from.

They USDA cannot police the laws they have in place now, what makes them think they can police more? What a waste of taxpayer money!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
I think it's great. One reason there are so many puppymills is that it is so easy for millers to market their "products". The more roadblocks put in front of them, the better chance their numbers will shrink.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Sadly, I'm not going to hold my breath. The manpower required to go after all of these breeders is nonexistent. I doubt anyone from the USDA is going to be on Craigslist or similar sites tracking down puppy millers. The USDA doesn't have the manpower to crack down on current puppy mills.

Things will just have to continue as they are: keep pressuring people to not buy from pet stores, cities to prohibit pet sales, and sites like CL to crack down on these sellers. Cut off the demand and means of distribution through public pressure.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM

and they have effectively road blocked the serious good breeders as well. I have sold many of my puppies across the country. People buy my dogs because they know the bloodlines, have watched either or both of the parents working in national competition, have dogs from similar bloodlines and want another. Now, instead of allowing me to discuss a puppy over the phone, show them via photos and video and send a puppy, the new owner must fly or drive across country to pick them up. That is the law. They just added a ton of $$ to the purchasers price.

I also have purchased puppies from around the country from photos, knowing the pedigree, the sire, dam and breeder. I have them shipped to me. Now I have to add to my cost by flying or driving. Why?

We must remember that with every new rule and regulation like this, you catch the good guys as well as the bad guys. And another freedom of choice has been removed from the public. But that seems to be ok for too many people today..... I find it very sad and frustrating.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
and they have effectively road blocked the serious good breeders as well. I have sold many of my puppies across the country. People buy my dogs because they know the bloodlines, have watched either or both of the parents working in national competition, have dogs from similar bloodlines and want another. Now, instead of allowing me to discuss a puppy over the phone, show them via photos and video and send a puppy, the new owner must fly or drive across country to pick them up. That is the law. They just added a ton of $$ to the purchasers price.

I also have purchased puppies from around the country from photos, knowing the pedigree, the sire, dam and breeder. I have them shipped to me. Now I have to add to my cost by flying or driving. Why?

We must remember that with every new rule and regulation like this, you catch the good guys as well as the bad guys. And another freedom of choice has been removed from the public. But that seems to be ok for too many people today..... I find it very sad and frustrating.
That's always the argument -- they make things more difficult for the "good breeders". You're not going to like this, but here goes.

Most breeders are bad. Bad bad bad. And they characterize themselves as good breeders. I always assume a breeder to be irresponsible until proven otherwise, and I have no idea what kind of breeder you are. But the vast majority should not be breeding dogs.

Second, if the good breeders want less competition and fewer badly bred dogs in this world, they should WELCOME strict regulations. They should be delighted that people who give their avocation a bad name are regulated out of business. It's no differernt than us being inconvenienced by TSA when we fly. If I am stopped and searched at airport security, that's fine with me. It makes flying safer, and I can deal with it. It's no differrent than having to comply with speed limits because if there weren't any, half the people on the road would drive like maniacs.

If it were up to me, I would like to see mandatory spay/neutering and all breeders whose dogs are exempted be licensed -- and I mean everyone who breeds even one litter. I am a hardliner because the only way to drastically curb the euthanasia rate for unwanted dogs is to take drastic measures. Dogs who are never born will never get the needle.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Most breeders are bad. Bad bad bad. And they characterize themselves as good breeders. I always assume a breeder to be irresponsible until proven otherwise,

Really? I really, really, really take offense at that. Maybe you need to get out more and attempt to get to know some good, good, good breeders? Come visit me, hopefully you can meet at least one that is a good breeder. I can introduce you to many many many more.

Appears to me that your goal is to stop all breeding of companion dogs? ALL? Every last one? After all, there will always be dogs needing to find new homes. People die, divorce, situations change, children get ill, people get ill, lose jobs, have disasters etc, etc, etc. And until that gets solved.... no more dogs for you! Then what?

And just so people know.. the vast majority of so called mills are indeed licensed. Kennels that supply all pet stores are licensed by the USDA. How's that working for ya? There are laws, regulations and rules to cover all of this. But you can't regulate stupid people who make insane purchases of puppies without any thought what so ever, and then can't be bothered to train them, house break them and fiind it perfectly acceptable to chain them to a tree in the back yard. THEY are the problem.

This new regulation is beyond stupid. Anyone who has 4 "breedable" females of ANY species (a rabbit, a cat, and 2 dogs) fall into this new rule. They all count if you own them, they are on your property or you co own them. And what is breedable? A 12 yr old female, a 3 month old female... all fall into "breedable". A show handler may have 4,5 or 6 females that they are showing for owners... tough, they are on your property. I choose not to spay or neuter my dogs and I have never ever had a whoops breeding. NEVER. If I am responsible for my animals, why should I have to pay the price of the irresponsible?

Take responsibility for yourself, take care of your animals and keep all the collective noses out of my backyard. I am so tired of doing all the right things and still be blamed for all the problems of the world. I must be a bad, bad, bad person!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
. If I am responsible for my animals, why should I have to pay the price of the irresponsible?

Take responsibility for yourself, take care of your animals and keep all the collective noses out of my backyard. I am so tired of doing all the right things and still be blamed for all the problems of the world. I must be a bad, bad, bad person!
Well we can take the dog element out of this and we come down to how things are done in this country. Those of us who take responsibility for our own health or are fortunate enough to never be injured or ill subsidize others not so fortunate or those considered "irresponsible".

People who work and pay taxes have to contribute to those who don't so they don't starve to death.
I've never dumped an animal or taken on to the shelter or let one reproduce but my taxes go to support those who are irresponsible by providing for animal control and county pound.

There probably are many responsible breeders and I know showing dogs is a very expensive hobby whose participants aren't in it for the money but you have to admit Dualie there are plenty of irresponsible unethical breeders who charge $2000 for mutts borne from trying to produce the newest combination of fad dogs and backyard breeders who do nothing to contribute to the standards of the breed and of course the puppy mills who churn out litter after litter under horrific conditions. Unfortunately some good breeders will have to subsidize the hobby until the bad ones are run out of business. I would think the good breeders would be happy to weed out the bad ones for the reputation of the breed and to enhance their own efforts.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 315,894 times
I really don't get all of the general angst against breeders.

People complain about backyard breeders breeding mutts, and charging top dollar, when most dog breeds are mutts to begin with (just well established mutts over time.) You hear people complain about over population when studies have shown that people who pay for a pet, versus adopting one, are less likely to relinquish that animal to a shelter. I'm guessing people who pay $2000 for that designer mutt are less likely to take an animal for granted than one adopted from a shelter.

The only thing I take issue with, is the breeding of these well-established brachycephalic breeds that can't even regulate their own temperature effectively or other breeds that can't even breed naturally. That, IMO, is irresponsible.

At the end of the day, a pet, despite the companionship, is an animal. Realistically, if we all had their absolute best welfare in mind, very few of us would own one. That welfare is often balanced with convenience for most owners.

Last edited by Randmness; 09-16-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post

At the end of the day, a pet, despite the companionship, is an animal. Realistically, if we all had their absolute best welfare in mind, very few of us would own one. That welfare is often balanced with convenience for most owners.
This statement really baffles me. I think most of us own pets because we like and even need something to love to nurture to be responsible for. That is the absolute best welfare for these companion animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs