U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

107 posts, read 262,599 times

Advertisements

I agree. Anyways I have a golden doodle... 8 months almost 80 pounds. He's very energetic and wants to play all day. He's very gentle and nice to my kids, amazing how he takes some of the roughest games with the kids. Here's a pic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Attached Thumbnails
Bichon Poo vs Labradoodle vs Goldendoodle-uploadfromtaptalk1379292311776.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I think the animal rights extremists here who believe domestic dogs are slaves and should go extinct through banning breeding, should ban themselves from ruining every single thread on the pet forum by turning it into an off-topic animal rights debate. Perhaps CD can start a section for animal rights activists, so the rest of us can stay on topic just once on a pet thread without having it turned into bashing breeders, bashing purebred owners and debating "k9 slavery." Why not take it to the PETA and ALF websites where it belongs - they could keep you busy with some naked protests in the streets and meeting to plan the next bombing of some breeder's or scientist's home.

I's so annoying. It's like trying to relax and enjoy the food section on CD if it were overrun by obnoxious vegetarians condemning everyone for eating meat.
I haven't seen anyone say that domestic dogs should go extinct through banning breeding. How about we worry about not killing millions of them first, before predicting their extinction.

Every single thread? Ok. I love internet hyperbole.

The OP specifically asked about a rescue versus a former breeding female versus a $2000.00 breeder puppy. It's not a stretch. And it's certainly not off topic.

Then someone SPECIFICALLY stated they felt a bias against breeding "designer" dogs and asked why since the "leftovers" would still be sent to kill shelters. So it was answered.

And if you want to deny there's a problem for dogs being bred for things like medical research just google "research Beagles". It's an industry. Of course that would require you to be willing to see the underbelly.

In my post I SAID I understand the need to keep a breed going and care for the health issues even if it is NOT BEING DONE for example Bulldogs.

That doesn't mean we can't have opinions on the use of animals being used strictly as a tool to compensate for a human's medical problems. I'd love to know the percentage of "good breeders" who even care or take any action at all whether it be donations or more measurable to help the dogs held prisoner in research labs.

And that includes the HILLS (IAMS) company, who were using labs so cruel and bad Proctor & Gamble disassociated themselves from them and have been on a multi year course correction and stopped the invasive testing on DOGS ONLY. And yes, it was PETA who found out about it and caused the correction. And it's still PETA who's trying to get them to stop cruel testing on other species. But of course maybe you couldn't care less as long as you don't have to hear any obnoxious sad stories. Fair enough. But why try and silence others? It's fairly predictable that anywhere on the internet if someone asks "should I get a rescue or a $2000 puppy?" what the answer's gonna be. As far as combining two breeds and calling it a new "breed"? I saw a Doxie Lab mix at a shelter once. It's was small fat long Doxie body with short legs with a giant lab head. Like it was photoshopped. Just because you can mix some sperm and egg doesn't mean it's always a great idea or way to make 2000.00 per dog. While other animals are having muscle tissue lopped off their bodies to keep the grant money coming in. PERDUE U! (and others)

http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp

http://forcechange.com/65797/demand-...y-experiments/

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-17-2013 at 03:05 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasengan View Post
I agree. Anyways I have a golden doodle... 8 months almost 80 pounds. He's very energetic and wants to play all day. He's very gentle and nice to my kids, amazing how he takes some of the roughest games with the kids. Here's a pic.

I have a golden doodle too, love him to death. Its amazing how good they are with kids, I never knew that about these dogs. My nieces were over my house this weekend and the amount of times they stepped on Jax (my guy) with him not so much as moving was so awesome.

He is really good with other dogs too.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM

107 posts, read 262,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I have a golden doodle too, love him to death. Its amazing how good they are with kids, I never knew that about these dogs. My nieces were over my house this weekend and the amount of times they stepped on Jax (my guy) with him not so much as moving was so awesome.

He is really good with other dogs too.
Yes, mine is also very nice to other dogs. I still remember the first time I had a play date with the neighbors pitbull, Rexy was basically doing rollovers in front of her. This was way back when both dogs were like 3 months of age. Maybe this is why my dog is the only dog the neighbor's pitbull doesn't bark at. This is my first Goldendoodle and I have to say he's one of the most smart, playful and gentle dog I have ever owned.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM

21 posts, read 24,554 times
I have a Cavachon. She is a Bichon Frise and Cavalier King Charles mix. She is the SWEETEST dog ever. She has the cavaliers attitude (so happy, loyal, smart) with the the anti shedding from the Bichon. They will be my dogs for the rest of my life!

Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
and what happens if the next ne has the personality of the bichon and the shedding level of a cavalier?!

its not a breed,theres no consistency within these mixes, no breeder can guarantee the dog will be low shedding or have the personality of one breed and the coat of another ect...that's why the original breeder of the labradoodle STOPPED BREEDING, aftr Multiple generations they still couldn't cionistently get the "goal product" of a none shedding labradoor, instead they got pups of coats that were anywhere from lab to poodle and EVEYTHIGN inbetween, they got personalites more like labs some more lie poodles and the majority ANYWHERE inbetween...

rescue them from shelters yes, but supporting unscrupulous people breeding these mixed breeds for profit claiming ll inds of wonderfull thing but unable to guarantee them...its ust one more reason so many pets end up inshelters.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,184,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I haven't seen anyone say that domestic dogs should go extinct through banning breeding. How about we worry about not killing millions of them first, before predicting their extinction.
No one wants to read your animal rights propaganda on every pet thread. Period. This will be my last response to this topic. You will never stop me, or anyone else here who enjoys purebred animals from breeders. Millions of homeless human orphans also die each year and you will not stop anyone here from having human kids either.

If you do proper research on the leaders of PETA and HSUS you will find what you are['nt] looking for. Their own personal statements, past positions, and ties to extremist domestic terrorist groups such as the ALF can easily be found. Ingrid Newkirk, PETA, their quotes about animals being domestic slaves is all over if you look for it.

Quote:
Quotes from HSUS leaders:
“We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding …One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.” – CEO Wayne Pacelle, as reported in Animal People News, May1993
“I don’t want to see another cat or dog born.” – CEO Wayne Pacelle in Bloodties, 1994
“Eating meat causes animal cruelty.” – HSUS senior campaigner Paul Shapiro, in a 2003 speech
“I don’t have a hands-on fondness for animals. I did not grow up bonded to any particular nonhuman animal. I like them and I pet them and I’m kind to them, but there’s no special bond between me and other animals…” – CEO Wayne Pacelle in Bloodties, 1994
“[V]isionary and professional leadership. There’s no doubt they’re creative and courageous.” – CEO Wayne Pacelle on PETA’s leaders, Vegetarian Times, October 1989
“PETA has really done so much in a short time to…promote animal rights.” – CEO Wayne Pacelle, Vegetarian Times, October 1989
“If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would.”— CEO Wayne Pacelle,quoted by the Associated Press, December 1991
“Nothing is more important than promoting veganism.” HSUS senior campaigner Paul Shapiro, at the 2004 National Student Animal Rights Conference
“My goal is the abolition of all animal agriculture.” –HSUS Director of Animal Cruelty PolicyJohn “J.P.” Goodwin

Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
After months of research and searching, I can clearly state two things.
1. Poodle mixes are not easy to come by in rescues. Almost all the low-shedding dogs I asked about were already adopted. I found two available and they had to be adopted as a pair, no exceptions. We are still looking for a dog.
2. There are good breeders who breed mixes. They do genetic testing and use quality parents (often dogs shown in confirmation or agility). They raise the pups carefully with early stimulation, include some training, and temperament test. Some of the breeders are not like this. Exact same situation with pure breeds.

So to sum up, be sure to ignore ignorant people in your dog search and research breeders yourself after reading about what makes a good breeder.

We would still like to rescue, but may go with a quality doodle breeder because so few low shed dogs are available in shelters/rescue in our area (which is great). So tired of the hate and ignorance against doodles.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 AM

13,546 posts, read 7,403,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingFL View Post
After months of research and searching, I can clearly state two things.
1. Poodle mixes are not easy to come by in rescues. Almost all the low-shedding dogs I asked about were already adopted. I found two available and they had to be adopted as a pair, no exceptions. We are still looking for a dog.
2. There are good breeders who breed mixes. They do genetic testing and use quality parents (often dogs shown in confirmation or agility). They raise the pups carefully with early stimulation, include some training, and temperament test. Some of the breeders are not like this. Exact same situation with pure breeds.

So to sum up, be sure to ignore ignorant people in your dog search and research breeders yourself after reading about what makes a good breeder.

We would still like to rescue, but may go with a quality doodle breeder because so few low shed dogs are available in shelters/rescue in our area (which is great). So tired of the hate and ignorance against doodles.
What part of FL are you in? The rescue I volunteer with has had a few standard poodles, a couple of labradoodles as well as many poodles and small poodle mixes. Currently there are a couple of poodles.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 AM

496 posts, read 520,782 times
Most breeds you find at a shelter are "mutts"....just not deliberately bred as are a bichon-poo or a Labradoodle. Our family has a Labradoodle. Henry is almost 12 now and has been the most wonderful dog anyone could want. And he trained for the Chicago Marathon just as his owner did. He does shed, so don't let them tell you that a goldendoodle doesn't shed. A bichon-poo does not shed. Go for the one you are willing to share in your life for the next 10 plus years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or