U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 AM

122 posts, read 61,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingFL View Post
After months of research and searching, I can clearly state two things.
1. Poodle mixes are not easy to come by in rescues. Almost all the low-shedding dogs I asked about were already adopted. I found two available and they had to be adopted as a pair, no exceptions. We are still looking for a dog.
2. There are good breeders who breed mixes. They do genetic testing and use quality parents (often dogs shown in confirmation or agility). They raise the pups carefully with early stimulation, include some training, and temperament test. Some of the breeders are not like this. Exact same situation with pure breeds.

So to sum up, be sure to ignore ignorant people in your dog search and research breeders yourself after reading about what makes a good breeder.

We would still like to rescue, but may go with a quality doodle breeder because so few low shed dogs are available in shelters/rescue in our area (which is great). So tired of the hate and ignorance against doodles.
There are no good breeders who deliberately create poodle mixes.

Because, no reputable Standard Poodle breeder would ever allow their puppies to be used in a mixed breeding situation. It is against the code of ethics of the parent club (Poodle Club of America) and is written into the contract that the buyer must sign. I have my 4 month old pup’s contract in front of me right now and it reads:

“Buyer agrees not to use this dog to produce cross breeds such as labradoodles or goldendoodles: otherwise, the Buyer will be subject to legal action. If Seller must resort to litigation, the Buyer agrees to pay all court costs as well as $25,000.”

My 5 year old Standard has similar language written in her contract too.

As you can see, if you choose to purchase a mixed breed, you would be buying from someone who, at best, does not honor a signed contract. What else does this breeder not honor?

The OP stated that a doodle is priced around $2000. For $1500, you can get a quality Standard Poodle with a 5 year health guarantee.

For your education, dogs are not shown in confirmation. The dog does not make a doctor appointment and then expects a follow up phone call from the office. Dogs are shown in Conformation. This is an evaluation of breeding stock against the parent club’s Breed Standard. What specific names of dogs that produce mixes that you know of that are being shown? I can give you specific names of Standard Poodles that have been deliberately used to produce mix breeds. These dogs are allowed to exist in the Standard Poodle Pedigree Registry and Health Database; but, are forever banned from having their records updated.

Please follow up with shadowne. Sounds like a good resource for what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 958,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
There are no good breeders who deliberately create poodle mixes.

Because, no reputable Standard Poodle breeder would ever allow their puppies to be used in a mixed breeding situation. It is against the code of ethics of the parent club (Poodle Club of America) and is written into the contract that the buyer must sign. I have my 4 month old pup’s contract in front of me right now and it reads:

“Buyer agrees not to use this dog to produce cross breeds such as labradoodles or goldendoodles: otherwise, the Buyer will be subject to legal action. If Seller must resort to litigation, the Buyer agrees to pay all court costs as well as $25,000.”

My 5 year old Standard has similar language written in her contract too.

As you can see, if you choose to purchase a mixed breed, you would be buying from someone who, at best, does not honor a signed contract. What else does this breeder not honor?

The OP stated that a doodle is priced around $2000. For $1500, you can get a quality Standard Poodle with a 5 year health guarantee.

For your education, dogs are not shown in confirmation. The dog does not make a doctor appointment and then expects a follow up phone call from the office. Dogs are shown in Conformation. This is an evaluation of breeding stock against the parent club’s Breed Standard. What specific names of dogs that produce mixes that you know of that are being shown? I can give you specific names of Standard Poodles that have been deliberately used to produce mix breeds. These dogs are allowed to exist in the Standard Poodle Pedigree Registry and Health Database; but, are forever banned from having their records updated.

Please follow up with shadowne. Sounds like a good resource for what you are looking for.
The original post was made 2 1/2 years ago so I assume the OP has already made their decision on a dog. For some reason SearchingFL resurrected the thread yesterday.

As far as your post, I agree 100%. No good breeder will sell a quality purebred to someone who will use it to breed Doodles so anyone buying a Doodle puppy from a breeder is buying a puppy bred from less than good quality parents. It's silly to pay $2k for a mutt that will be a genetic crapshoot when you can get an excellent quality purebred from titled parents for the same or a lower price. If all someone wants is a mutt, there are a ton of rescues out there with every possible variety of doodle-mutt available.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 897,970 times
Designer breed creator regrets making the creation https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-his-creation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or