U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
Reputation: 47214

Advertisements

free and affordable are two entirely different things and playing "what if" is a waste of time. Again I say people put more value on things and pets they have a financial interest in. Cheap and free pets are expendable. Free food and vets are never going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Adding more cost to dog ownership will do nothing to make it more affordable.
The animal control in the county I live in does microchipping for $20. There are also a few festivals throughout the year that will have a vet tent set up for pets to be microchipped, and one of the local news stations has a microchipping event every few months. Both of those are also $20. There are options out there to get your pet microchipped for cheap, it doesn't have to be a huge cost to pet owners. Its a one time $20 cost. Or get your pet from an animal shelter. At most shelters the cost of microchipping is part of the adoption fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: The Help Desk
255 posts, read 539,446 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
free and affordable are two entirely different things and playing "what if" is a waste of time. Again I say people put more value on things and pets they have a financial interest in. Cheap and free pets are expendable. Free food and vets are never going to happen.
What are you talking about? Soon your healthcare will be free. Pet healthcare will be next.

If you want to know what wasting time is, try teaching economics to a liberal.


I don't put any higher value on my $750 dog than I do my $125 dog.

In fact, I could not afford another $750 dog. If it wasn't for the low, low price of $125 for my rescue, I'd still only have one dog.


PS. We have a pet food program for low income and seniors in my town. If your town doesn't have one, perhaps you could help get one started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Dogs don't leave good homes. One of mine is chipped and one isn't. Neither want to leave.
Microchipping has nothing to do with the dog's home life. Life happens, dogs sometimes get lost. A natural disaster might happen and your dog might get scared and run out of the house... Your house might catch on fire, the dog escapes and runs off scared... You could be at the park, the dog sees a squirrel and gets away from you and runs off... dog gets stolen and ends up at the shelter... your house gets robbed and the front door is left open... you are on vacation the dog gets nervous and escapes from the kennel/neighbor's house....

Any number of things can happen that will cause your dog to be seperated from your care. Being microchipped will allow your dog to be safely returned to you. Otherwise you might never see your dog again. You can check the local shelters, but that might not always work. The dog might have been picked up on the street, taken to a vet to check for a chip, and when none was found the person just took the dog home with them. Or it could be picked up by someone just traveling through town. The dog ends up in a shelter 1,000 of miles away that you would never think to check. The dog isn't microchipped, so there is no way of knowing where the dog came from.

I know I would be completely devistated if my dog got lost and I never knew what happened to him. I would feel horrible thinking the worst possible thing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: The Help Desk
255 posts, read 539,446 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Microchipping has nothing to do with the dog's home life. Life happens, dogs sometimes get lost. A natural disaster might happen and your dog might get scared and run out of the house... Your house might catch on fire, the dog escapes and runs off scared... You could be at the park, the dog sees a squirrel and gets away from you and runs off... dog gets stolen and ends up at the shelter... your house gets robbed and the front door is left open... you are on vacation the dog gets nervous and escapes from the kennel/neighbor's house....

Any number of things can happen that will cause your dog to be seperated from your care. Being microchipped will allow your dog to be safely returned to you. Otherwise you might never see your dog again. You can check the local shelters, but that might not always work. The dog might have been picked up on the street, taken to a vet to check for a chip, and when none was found the person just took the dog home with them. Or it could be picked up by someone just traveling through town. The dog ends up in a shelter 1,000 of miles away that you would never think to check. The dog isn't microchipped, so there is no way of knowing where the dog came from.

I know I would be completely devistated if my dog got lost and I never knew what happened to him. I would feel horrible thinking the worst possible thing happened.

All VERY GOOD points, thank you.

A Beagle could very well wander off and become lost.

Herding breeds don't wander.

My dogs come when I call them, without exception. My dogs never go beyond earshot, and seldom beyond eyesight.

People who don't invest in a quality herding breed, several years of classroom training, constant reinforcement of the training during many lengthy weekly off-leash walks, have a hard time imagining a dog that will protect you from muggers and dispatch marauding racoons.

Both of my dogs have health insurance. Over 75% of their meals are home made raw food. They get at least 20 hours a week of guided excercize/training.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

The downside of herding breeds is you MUST always be vigilant of how territorial they are, so it doesn't become a liability.


So, back to microchipping. Do I prefer a $20 one-time fee to a $60 a year fee imposed by the municipality?

Absolutely! But it should be my choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
All VERY GOOD points, thank you.

A Beagle could very well wander off and become lost.

Herding breeds don't wander.
Oh please. I've worked in animal shelters for years. Hound dogs are not the only dogs that get lost. Any type of dog can get lost/seperated from its owners in the right (wrong) situation. Go into any animal shelter and ask to see the wall of lost dog flyers. I can guarantee you there are going to be a number of herding breeds up there.

Are you with your dog 24/7? Are you always within earshot all day, everday? Its doubtful. Things can happen, and if $20 is all it takes to be reunited with your dog, I don't see why anyone would choose not too. Hopefully worst case scenario doesn't happen, but if it does its nice to have a backup. You are not tattooing the dog, or using a branding iron on the dog, its a teeny tiny injection into the loose skin on the back of their neck. It doesn't even hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
 
Location: The Help Desk
255 posts, read 539,446 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Oh please. I've worked in animal shelters for years. Hound dogs are not the only dogs that get lost. Any type of dog can get lost/seperated from its owners in the right (wrong) situation. Go into any animal shelter and ask to see the wall of lost dog flyers. I can guarantee you there are going to be a number of herding breeds up there.

Are you with your dog 24/7? Are you always within earshot all day, everday? Its doubtful. Things can happen, and if $20 is all it takes to be reunited with your dog, I don't see why anyone would choose not too. Hopefully worst case scenario doesn't happen, but if it does its nice to have a backup. You are not tattooing the dog, or using a branding iron on the dog, its a teeny tiny injection into the loose skin on the back of their neck. It doesn't even hurt.

Not denying there are poor dog owners out there, if there weren't, I would not have scored such a deal on my rescue.

With my odd schedule, my wife, and my dog(s) excellent behavior/control, yes, our dogs are in our possession 99% of the time.

A $20 guarantee is a glittering generalization. A dead dog in a gully, one who was abducted for nefarious reasons, etc.

My dogs have collars with our phone numbers. Anyone who could actually get their hand on the collar could call, but again, read what I posted above.

Mandatory chipping is a 'feel-good' law enacted by finger-waggling totalitarians in hope to make people better dog owners. Won't work. As I said, if the chip can modify the owners behavior in the dogs neck, it must be even more effective to put it in the owners neck.

But back to dog separation; you could not seize either of my dogs without incurring the wrath of the other. They are truly a Band of Brothers.

I know trying to explain the relationship we have with our dogs and the relationship they have with each other is something you'll never comprehend, but it makes the joy I have with them fell even greater when I write about it.

The power of a dog who's heart overflows with love is far greater than a microchip; always has been, always will be.


"Always Gold"

We were tight knit boys
Brothers in more then name
You would kill for me
And knew that I'd do the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 01:08 PM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
The power of a dog who's heart overflows with love is far greater than a microchip; always has been, always will be.
Well lets just hope that love is able to recite phone numbers and adresses in case something bad happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
Reputation: 47214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well lets just hope that love is able to recite phone numbers and adresses in case something bad happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
Reputation: 24349
Im just wondering if the US will soon mandate this to begin in the us . Micro chipping every dog I mean .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top