Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,843,521 times

Advertisements

My heart goes out to you Dawn. Knowing that I would inevitably someday lose my pup has for years prevented me from even getting one. I haven't ever really gotten over when we had to put down our dog when I was a child, as she had severe arthritis.

I hope you recover from this as quick as possible and I too would plan on being right there with my girl if we ever have to put her down for whatever reason.

My thoughts are with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
You guys. Oh, you guys. Damn. You know how to make me cry, you know how to make me smile (thank you, Tina), you know how to warm my heart and make me (and Artie) feel so loved. So damn loved.

I was told on Facebook by one of the mods here (thank you, SouthernBelle) that a "RIP Artie" was started by someone. I haven't looked at it yet. She was concerned that I would have wanted to start one on my own but, in truth, I wouldn't have. And I was so touched -- SO TOUCHED!!! -- that someone thought to start one. I don't know who that angel is yet -- I'll go look at it when I finish here.

You guys make my world a happier place every single day. It's not about coming onto this forum -- it's about knowing that you exist. That you are. That you are in my life.

(Deep breath.)

It was awful -- truly awful. I don’t want to go into the details because you don’t need to know this and I don’t need to relive it. He was in no pain through any of it -- only I was, watching him fight the sedative that they give him before. I talked to him throughout. I kissed him, I stroked his face, I looked into his eyes, and I spoke to him. I told him that I loved him and I thanked him for giving me so much. Artie taught me a lot -- about responsibility, about friendship, about loyalty, about love, and about devotion. He also helped me reinvent myself in the best ways -- to be true to myself, to be the real me, and to love with my whole heart. He showed me how to play and romp, and he also showed me how to relax and be calm. He gave me far more than I could ever have given him. The best part of his teaching me and showing me and giving me and changing me is that I can share it all with you and shower you with all that I now know about life and love.

I hadn’t wanted anyone to come with me. I felt that this was my last “Artie and me” moment and I didn’t want anyone intruding on or sharing it with us. So we did it on our own, our way -- just Artie and me -- like it’s always been.

Afterwards, I felt a sense of relief and that made me realize that I’d done the right thing. (Thank you, brightdoglover, for that knowledge beforehand. Had I not known that it might happen, I might have thought that I was a horrible person.) I did right for Artie. That’s all I’d ever wanted to do.

After it was over, I went to stay at my guy’s house. He had wanted me to have a change of scenery -- so that I could get out of my home and out of my head -- and not come back to an empty home and wake up in the morning looking for Artie. It was the smartest and kindest and warmest thing he could have done for me.

I had (and continue to have) my moments of remembering “the event” but I know that he’s in a happier place than when he was in this world that was so scary for him.

Thank you for everything that you said the last few days. All the caring and love -- for both Artie and I -- are so very appreciated. You warm my heart.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-21-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 04:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,308,269 times
Now I'm crying again. It's coming up on a year since we lost our two, so maybe I'm just an exposed nerve -- or maybe you and Artie have touched me that much in my short nine months here.I didn't know you were seeing someone; I'm so glad you had his support.

I have a pawprint car magnet on the back of my Jeep, reads "Who Rescued Who?" They do teach us so much. That's what friends do. ♥♥♥

Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 PM

298 posts, read 702,200 times
RIP, Artie.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,228,457 times
What a wonderful tribute to a beloved dog gone.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
Sorry to hear that.

I know many people think that aggressive dogs can be reformed...sad to say, sometimes that is not always the case, as you well know.

You are making a hard decision, but at his age, the temper may flare quickly...and on a child.

Hugs. Sorry.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,756,372 times
Thinking of you Dawn..........

Old 09-22-2013, 09:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
Last night, I fell asleep easily -- I was so drained. I woke up at 1-something in the height of night with a knot in my stomach and my face was wet with tears. I suppose that I was crying in my sleep. I started thinking about what I saw on Friday night and I felt sick. I finally got back to sleep at 4-something.

I spent the day doing laundry -- all the blankets that Artie had furred up -- and dealing with his things. Boy, he had a lot of stuff. I guess I indulged him a bit. That makes me happy.

At about 4 P.M., I lay down and ended up falling asleep. About 30 minutes later, I woke with a jolt with this thought: "It's after 11 in the morning and I didn't give Artie his late-morning chicken jerky treat yet!!!!"

Rough day. I know that it'll get easier though. Even though my heart is in crumbles, my head knows that I did right by Artie, giving him peace.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:36 PM

3,736 posts, read 12,358,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Last night, I fell asleep easily -- I was so drained. I woke up at 1-something in the height of night with a knot in my stomach and my face was wet with tears. I suppose that I was crying in my sleep. I started thinking about what I saw on Friday night and I felt sick. I finally got back to sleep at 4-something.

I spent the day doing laundry -- all the blankets that Artie had furred up -- and dealing with his things. Boy, he had a lot of stuff. I guess I indulged him a bit. That makes me happy.

At about 4 P.M., I lay down and ended up falling asleep. About 30 minutes later, I woke with a jolt with this thought: "It's after 11 in the morning and I didn't give Artie his late-morning chicken jerky treat yet!!!!"

Rough day. I know that it'll get easier though. Even though my heart is in crumbles, my head knows that I did right by Artie, giving him peace.
Don't beat yourself up and don't rush to erase him completely from your apartment. Take it from me, keep one furred up blanket and one favorite toy. Later on you will understand why. Hugz.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,090,414 times
OH Dawn!!! I am so sorry. I'm reading this and crying my eyes out.
Thinking of you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs