Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times

Advertisements

Zugor, I'd rep you again if I could...gotta "spread some around" first.

People, the rules and paperwork are not in place to offend, insult, or otherwise cause discomfort for humans, they are in place to protect the animals and ensure they are being placed in loving homes with responsible owners. This is not the same world it was when your parents could call a breeder and get a dog with no further ado after the $ changed hands, things have changed, shelters are over-full, and many of the dogs and cats in shelters are even pure bred. The LAST thing any shelter or breeder wants is to have an animal go back and forth, from owner to owner, and while it still happens sometimes, properly screening and talking to potential owners at length aim to bring to light potential warning signs which would help to "weed out" those who aren't as willing or able to work with the animal if problems arise. A person who is willing to undergo all the visits, paperwork, etc. is most likely someone who really wants that companion animal and is already exemplifying their commitment by participating in the process. The "honor system" has failed the animals in this world, and we can't just blindly trust anymore...sad, but true.

And yet again I have to stress that if you are offended by the adoption and screening process, there are plenty of other options that do not involve going through a venue which supports puppymills...you don't have to expose yourself to any of it if you don't want to, no one is forcing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
We do not call you up to intervene in your bonding with your new addition to your family but we do encourage that you do call us with any questions or problems you may have.
We also offer free of charge, obedience training, (for the owners) if you purchased your pup from us.
We train you to train your dog.

I know how some people get when someone else tells them how to raise or treat there dog or pup.
So ...
What do you think about how the Germans have dealt with this issue.

A breed warden.

FUNCTION: Responsible for the proper maintenance of all German Shepherd Dogs within a local club or a Region.
Provides guidance to the novice breeder in regards to the selection of partners and provides overall basic information to those who are seeking knowledge.
Maintains close, cordial relationship with all breeders of German Shepherd Dogs within the framework of a local club or a Region.
1. When invited by a breeder, the Breed Warden shall visit the breeder to ascertain the number, sex, and color of all German Shepherd puppies in a litter. (1st visit - 3rd-10th day after birth, second visit - 7-8 weeks after birth)
2. Ensures that all puppies are free of dewclaws and conform to the guidelines of the Standard of the German Shepherd Dog. (No whites, blues, and crippled puppies).
3. Verifies that mother and puppies are in good physical condition and are of a healthy constitution.
4. During the second visit the Breed Warden verifies that puppies have been raised in accordance with the suggested guidelines issued by United Schutzhund Clubs of America.
5. Geographical areas of responsibilities are the domiciles of the breeders of the club who elected the Breed Warden or by assignment from the Region. A Breed Warden should not interfere with the responsibilities of another Breed Warden from another club or Region, unless specifically requested, of course, by the breeder or the Regional Director.
6. Maintains statistical information to assist the Registry in all inquiries.
7. Ensures that the highest level of integrity regarding the Standard is being maintained and that all prospective as well as experienced breeders are being treated equally.
8. Stays abreast in breed and training matters of the German Shepherd Dog.

No breeding with out permission.

The Breed Warden oversees that all rules and regulation pertaining to the Registry are being adhered to by breeders as well as stud dog owners, that cleanliness is being maintained wherever puppies are being kept and that only healthy German Shepherd Dogs will find entry in the Registry.

I for one am all for this, it strengthens the breed and maintains a high standard.
We go by these standards at our kennel already.
i like the concept .... close regulation of breeders would be a GOOD thing.... i think the Germans also do the same sort of thing with dachshunds .....

i just think breed WARDEN is an unfortunate choice of name.....

Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Zugor, I'd rep you again if I could...gotta "spread some around" first.

People, the rules and paperwork are not in place to offend, insult, or otherwise cause discomfort for humans, they are in place to protect the animals and ensure they are being placed in loving homes with responsible owners. This is not the same world it was when your parents could call a breeder and get a dog with no further ado after the $ changed hands, things have changed, shelters are over-full, and many of the dogs and cats in shelters are even pure bred. The LAST thing any shelter or breeder wants is to have an animal go back and forth, from owner to owner, and while it still happens sometimes, properly screening and talking to potential owners at length aim to bring to light potential warning signs which would help to "weed out" those who aren't as willing or able to work with the animal if problems arise. A person who is willing to undergo all the visits, paperwork, etc. is most likely someone who really wants that companion animal and is already exemplifying their commitment by participating in the process. The "honor system" has failed the animals in this world, and we can't just blindly trust anymore...sad, but true.

And yet again I have to stress that if you are offended by the adoption and screening process, there are plenty of other options that do not involve going through a venue which supports puppymills...you don't have to expose yourself to any of it if you don't want to, no one is forcing you.
i would rep BOTH of you again... but gotta spread it around some more first... i get it, you get it, most people get it.... unless they have some sort of self righteous paranoia about people poking into their business......

Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Spot's Story!

I lost my beautiful Chocolate Lab, Shelby to cancer and went several years without a dog. Shelby had been a rescue and I will never forget her owner sobbing as I drove away with his dog.

I tried several times to get another rescue dog but no luck. All the rescue groups had long lists of qualifications to adopt their dogs. Even though I was a great dog mom with vet references, somehow I never managed to qualify. I even had an AKC judge as a reference. I have a lot of experience training dogs and I've been in the show ring. Still no luck.

One day I stopped at a pet store to buy some crickets and there was Spot. A white and liver GSP. Tiny for his age and very sick with pneumonia. The clerk at the store said Spot was very sick and not responding to treatment and he was going to be put down. She showed me his litter registration(AKC) and his vet records. Spot was one sick puppy but they had tried. He had been seen frequently by a vet. If I could help it, that little Spot wasn't going to die in a cage alone. I had to fight with them but I took him home. Well, I took him to the vet first. I carried Spot in a sling and he stayed with me all the time. He got better quickly and the vet said he would probably always be small. Wrong. Today Spot is a muscular, strong, dog who did attain his full height and weight. He is a happy boy and has been a wonderful companion. He has never been sick at all since that bout with pneumonia. I worked with Spot and took him to a professional trainer as well.

All my dog show friends were horrified that I had purchased a sick dog from a pet store. I was read the riot act over and over. I did contact Spot's breeder. It turned out that the gentleman had had a heart attack and couldn't take care of the litter and his wife had sold them to a pet store. The breeder was relieved Spot was OK and even asked for pictures.

In the end, it was all good. I was lucky. A couple years later, I got Lola, a female liver and white GSP, from a shelter in South Dakota. She was a feral dog that had lived by her wits for who knows how long. She also turned out to be a great dog. I love them both and I have no regrets about leaving that store with a tiny sick puppy.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"How do people differentiate puppy mills from breeders? What is the difference? How do you know if the puppy you buy is from a breeder or a puppy mill?"

Most backyard breeders do not perform the necessary genetic testing to get genetically healthy dogs. They may be purebred and have their shots, and socialized but they can be unsound in the health dept. I know someone who runs a breed specific rescue and she tells me this is often the case with dogs that are surrendered from backyard breeders. They cannot afford to have the necessary surgeries done (yes- multiple!!) to get the puppy healthy in order to sell it.

You are right, sometimes these rescue groups go overboard trying to find the "right home". They get kinda nutty. Esp. if they know you have prior experience with a certain breed, they should cut you some slack.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,883 times
Although this is an old thread, I believe people buy puppies from a store for a few reasons.

These cute puppies are there and melt your heart.

Easy to acquire, pick one up with the shopping.

Rescue Centres in the UK have strict adoption policies.

Breeders too have a very strict selection policy of potential owners.

I have been to a pet store here in the UK where puppies are available for sale, breaks my heart, especially when I see the one that is left on its own.

I have to take a deep breath and think, even if I bought them all, there would be another shipment of puppies arriving next week etc., etc..

The problem is simply the fact that it is legal, certainly in the UK and shouldn't be. The Dogs Trust are making a stand against puppy farms/mills, its a pity the RSPCA aren't joining forces, hopefully they will be shamed into doing so.

If the breeding dogs were kept in a good environment with a good quality of life, all their basic needs tended to, I wouldn't have a problem, but the puppy farms I have seen are horrendous. If I kept my pets in those conditions I would be done for cruelty and neglect. How the hell do these people get away with it, possibly more to do with money and the funny hand shake club. It makes me sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs