Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

I have an 11 yr old Golden Retriever, and her back legs give out pretty regularly on the wood floors in the house. I find it helps to keep her nails short, and trim all the hair between her pads. We also have a series of rugs on the kitchen floor that make a path for her to the back door. It won't win any decorating awards, but she sticks to the rugs, so I think it makes her feel more secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,294 times
Is there an update on this dog? My 12 year old Maltese is having similar symptoms. My vet was also stumped and I'm seeing a neurologist on Monday. His right front and back legs are collapsing.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
have hip and shoulders checked/xrayed, everyone thinks knees and fail to check the hips and shoulders....

Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamperwillow View Post
Is there an update on this dog? My 12 year old Maltese is having similar symptoms. My vet was also stumped and I'm seeing a neurologist on Monday. His right front and back legs are collapsing.
Here's my update on Lily. I started this thread back in Sept '13. Since that time, she has had surgery for luxating patella on her other back knee. (that was in Nov '13, so it's been a while). We moved to a different state in spring of 2014, so of course found a new vet. Despite healing well from both surgeries, and being told by both the old and new vets that her kneecaps are firmly in place, she was still walking funny a lot.

So the new vet put her on Dasaquin (chondroitin + glucosamine + MSM), which seems to have helped a LOT. For almost a year, she rarely limped, although just this week I noticed it happening again. So I have increased her dosage of Dasaquin to see if she improves.

I am sorry to hear about your lil guy. Keep us posted as to what the neuro says.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 PM

Default walking funny

Thanks for replying after so long! My Bogey is 12 and full of pep and energy. Lately he has been walking funny and it is getting worse. His right front and right back legs are unstable and collapse sometimes. Anti-inflammatories seem to be helping a tiny bit but we see the neurologist tomorrow morning. My regular vet said it could be so many things and seeing the neuro is probably the quickest route to decide how to proceed. I'm worried….

Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Here's my update on Lily. I started this thread back in Sept '13. Since that time, she has had surgery for luxating patella on her other back knee. (that was in Nov '13, so it's been a while). We moved to a different state in spring of 2014, so of course found a new vet. Despite healing well from both surgeries, and being told by both the old and new vets that her kneecaps are firmly in place, she was still walking funny a lot.

So the new vet put her on Dasaquin (chondroitin + glucosamine + MSM), which seems to have helped a LOT. For almost a year, she rarely limped, although just this week I noticed it happening again. So I have increased her dosage of Dasaquin to see if she improves.

I am sorry to hear about your lil guy. Keep us posted as to what the neuro says.
Menisci might have gotten stressed during the period of abnormal gait due to the patella problems. Dasaquin is a good idea.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM

I've now been to a neurologist. It is something in his neck - either disc disease or a tumor. They want $3500 for an MRI and then if surgery is indicated on the disc, a total of $6,000 to $8,000! Going to a holistic vet today to see what he recommends.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamperwillow View Post
I've now been to a neurologist. It is something in his neck - either disc disease or a tumor. They want $3500 for an MRI and then if surgery is indicated on the disc, a total of $6,000 to $8,000! Going to a holistic vet today to see what he recommends.
Oh nooo, that's awful....the possible diagnosis as well as the cost. I hope the holistic vet has better news for you.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Then it's not degenerative myelopathy.

Did the vet do blood work?
I've had dogs that have passed the "flip test" that were in the early stages of degenerative myelopathy. The first indication for me of DM is that their back legs start slipping out from under them when they run around a corner.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Saw the Holistic vet yesterday and started Bogey on a course of Chinese and homeopathic treatments. Myelopathy is the suspect since he has had neck issues in the past. Wish us luck!! Rowan, what kind of outcomes did you see with your dogs with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs