Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 PM

6,452 posts, read 6,610,032 times

Advertisements

Lily, my 5 year old Maltese, has been walking funny the past few weeks. Both of her back legs will "slip," kind of an outward slide, almost like an ice skater.

So far the vet has ruled out: kneecap issue (that she previously had surgery for, but is fine now), spine issue, and myasthenia gravis.

He is stumped at this point as to what is going on. She will be fine for a little while, but after a run around the yard, or a lot of walking, she starts the limping/sliding thing. So it's on again/off again throughout the day.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

259 posts, read 667,771 times
Exclamation Don't wait any longer

Take your dog to the vet.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Take your dog to the vet.
Didn't you read her post? She did take her dog to the vet. The vet ruled out many things and is stumped.

Kayanne, did the vet do xrays? My bassets back legs are like this and he has arthritis in his knees. My Labrador had degenerative myelopathy that started with hind leg symptoms.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,773 times
Did the vet rule out everything neurological? I'm sorry to hear this is happening, Kayanne. I wish your vet had more of a diagnosis.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,778,423 times
have her hips checked too, hip dysplasia can cause exactly what your seeing!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,547,324 times
My dog's legs did that after he was diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Muscle weakness is a symptom of Cushing's. Hoping that's not what your dog has.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Kayanne, did the vet do xrays? My bassets back legs are like this and he has arthritis in his knees. My Labrador had degenerative myelopathy that started with hind leg symptoms.
Yes, the vet put her under anesthesia and did x-rays, because he first suspected disk deterioration in her spine, but also wanted to be check all of her joints. He also did a thorough manual exam of her joints while she was sedated.

I don't think it's arthritis in her knee, because her knee surgery was just last March (luxating patella). I'm sure the vet would have seen any arthritis while he was in there. Unless it could have developed that quickly?

I'll google degenerative myelopathy. Thanks for your ideas.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
My dog's legs did that after he was diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Muscle weakness is a symptom of Cushing's. Hoping that's not what your dog has.
Another thing to google. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM

499 posts, read 2,151,967 times
Our dog had that issue. The vet believed it was due to a neurological deficiency- there was the thought he had some type of lesion on his brain. But the vet didn't think it was the only contributor- age caught up to him as well.

A good check for neurological deficiencies is to "flip" their paw down (the top of their paw would be in contact with the floor/ground). If they don't try to correct it immediately, it is deemed a "positive test" for a neurological disorder. Obviously you only try one paw at a time.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
Our dog had that issue. The vet believed it was due to a neurological deficiency- there was the thought he had some type of lesion on his brain. But the vet didn't think it was the only contributor- age caught up to him as well.

A good check for neurological deficiencies is to "flip" their paw down (the top of their paw would be in contact with the floor/ground). If they don't try to correct it immediately, it is deemed a "positive test" for a neurological disorder. Obviously you only try one paw at a time.
She passes the "flip test."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs