U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 AM

369 posts, read 1,898,589 times

Advertisements

I have several dogs, all who I am crazy about. My oldest is a 7 year old Lab, who by nature is fairly tentative. He is kind of needy and not in any way the alpha dog - except when other dogs walk by the house. Seems like every night between 6 and maybe 7:30, when people are walking their dogs after work, he becomes unglued and barks his head off, lunges at the front window etc. It seems like lately he has been getting worse, or I am just getting less tolerant. I have tried several different things advised by a dog trainer, and nothing has worked so far. My last resort is a shock collar, which I am loathe to use. Has anyone found them to be helpful for this situation? I do not want my dog to be freaked out or anything - I just would like him not to bark. Anyone with experiences to share would be most appreciated!
Rate this post positively

Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,412,631 times
i don't like the idea of a shock collar no matter what. it's totally understandable that you've reached your wits end and are considering it but there HAS to be a different method to stop it. what that method is I have no clue but i'm sure the good people on this board will offer plenty of advice.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 AM

216 posts, read 795,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I have several dogs, all who I am crazy about. My oldest is a 7 year old Lab, who by nature is fairly tentative. He is kind of needy and not in any way the alpha dog - except when other dogs walk by the house. Seems like every night between 6 and maybe 7:30, when people are walking their dogs after work, he becomes unglued and barks his head off, lunges at the front window etc. It seems like lately he has been getting worse, or I am just getting less tolerant. I have tried several different things advised by a dog trainer, and nothing has worked so far. My last resort is a shock collar, which I am loathe to use. Has anyone found them to be helpful for this situation? I do not want my dog to be freaked out or anything - I just would like him not to bark. Anyone with experiences to share would be most appreciated!
They can be very helpful if used correctly. Personally, I would try a different trainer because you have more issues here than just barking.

There are trainers that work with ecollars and show you the correct way to use them.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 AM

43 posts, read 160,967 times
I actually use a water bottle and give them a quick squirt when they are doing a bad behavior. My dogs hate it and eventually learn that if they don't want to be hosed they better stop. It's kind of silly but is obviously not harmful to the dog whatsoever besides being annoying. Probably doesn't work on all dogs though, especially if they enjoy it. Works awesome on cats too, especially keeping them off the counter tops.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,772,115 times
This is not a barking problem it is a behavioral problem. I would try to find a good behaviorist. What kind of things have you tried?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,379,511 times
How about taking your dog for a walk around that time if possible or before so he would be warn out that it won't have time to bark also I would get the dog in a calm sedative mode...... and give it boundaries....If it bark it goes in the bathroom,cage or something until he calm again. You can also do a distracting thing such as play with the dog.... but I think taking it for a walk would be best.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,599,326 times
I agree with Kareybear...a tired dog is a good dog! I'd take the dog for a nice long walk, if possible, and if there's a way to baby gate the dog in the rear of the house until the bewitching hour is over, even better. What he can't see, he may not bark at!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM

273 posts, read 1,291,457 times
I just put a thread up not too long ago about this. Its too bad you didnt search first Haha I wont hold it against you Basically I was giving my experience with the no-bark collar, as I just got one the day before. I got all the same responses as you from trainers, and people I asked that they were awful and blah blah blah. It was actually the STORE MANAGER at petsmart that said it would be very helpful and that if it didnt work he'd gladly refund my money. He told me he's used it on numerous of his own dogs in the past. On top of that, do some research, many police k9 trainers and hunting dogs use shock collars and are incredible dogs. As for my experience, she barked twice when we first put it on, it gave her a little zap, she got the point, and boom shes been well behaved for over a week now. Its the perfect solution in my opinion. Its a very clear and concise correction that happens directly at the moment of the action, so they know what they are being corrected on. Verbal corrections and water bottles IMO are not nearly as effective. I tried the shock on myself and its barely anything. Its no worse than if you take an empty butane lighter with the little spark and put it on your finger. Now I can take her around other dogs on leash, turn on dog whisperer on tv, people can knock on my front door, etc and she thinks about it for a second then just goes on with her business.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,512,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
No one should use those, why not bring in your dog from 6-7:30 and treat him like family....

Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,293,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicajinpa View Post
I actually use a water bottle and give them a quick squirt when they are doing a bad behavior. My dogs hate it and eventually learn that if they don't want to be hosed they better stop. It's kind of silly but is obviously not harmful to the dog whatsoever besides being annoying. Probably doesn't work on all dogs though, especially if they enjoy it. Works awesome on cats too, especially keeping them off the counter tops.
How exactly does the water bottle trick work? Do you squirt their behind?

The reason I ask is I use a fragrance to make my doggy smell better. Should I spray on my hands and then rub it on him? Versus directly spraying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs