Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

The only thing worse than poo piles left in my yard is when someone takes the time to scoop up after their dog, but then leaves their baggy of poo in my recycling bin! That is not an accepted item so then I have to deal with it - YUCK (from me and the recycling guy!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The only thing worse than poo piles left in my yard is when someone takes the time to scoop up after their dog, but then leaves their baggy of poo in my recycling bin! That is not an accepted item so then I have to deal with it - YUCK (from me and the recycling guy!)
Put it in their mailbox? Just kidding. Just an evil idea.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
When they have to go they have to go. I always have a bag(or a few) in hand for where ever it may happen. Usually I make sure they've gone before our walk so I don
t
have to pick it up. I always hate having to bend over on the side of the street while people are driving by. They awlays seem to go potty on the busy streets.. go figure.

If they do happen to go I try my best to get every last trace, but it's always in the grass. We have had one in the street; talk about stopping traffic.. lol

Now dogs at adoptions are a complete different story! They go pretty much were ever want and some times is super embarrassing.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Is your recycling bin a garbage can and they are confused? Other than that I can't think of why someone would do that. I wonder if they would stop if you put a sign on the bin?

We can't leave our garbage cans or anything like that by the street. I end up carrying the "used" bags home to dispose of them.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I like to take my dogs out into my own backyard before their walk to get everything out of them I can.

When we walk, they will still "mark", but they are mostly empty when we go out. It's worked like a charm for years until we moved to our current neighborhood. We have a lot of dogs in this neighborhood and a few owners who don't pick up a thing. All of a sudden, about a year to two ago, my male started pooping on our walks . I'm thinking it's because he smells other dog poop or remnants of??

So.......I have one pooper. I too carry grocery bags in my pocket......well, actually, my husband's pocket - that's his job (I do enough! ).

Some things can't be helped and dogs will poop on their walks. The exercise gets things moving .

It is the law in most every state - if not all - that you must clean up after your dog. In most states you can legally dispose of it by either putting it into your own garbage can or flushing it down your own toilet.

"Curbing" - taking your dog to the edge of the curb where the sewer drain is and having him do his business there - is illegal for us, Titanium, and probably is on most states now (you can imagine what it does to our aquifers ).

If you take Snowy to the beach - same deal - you have to pick up after him. Fecal contamination is a big problem in our ocean shorelines right now (not just in Florida either).

For home, you might want to look into a thing called a "Doggie Dooley" .

Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
"Curbing" - taking your dog to the edge of the curb where the sewer drain is and having him do his business there - is illegal for us, Titanium, and probably is on most states now (you can imagine what it does to our aquifers ).

If you take Snowy to the beach - same deal - you have to pick up after him. Fecal contamination is a big problem in our ocean shorelines right now (not just in Florida either).

For home, you might want to look into a thing called a "Doggie Dooley" .
I pick it up but when it's the consistency of mashed potatoes, I 'debulk' the mess.

With regard to the edge of the street, I still obviously pick it up.

My point in the original question was when you get a softee, do you offer to pressure wash or something? If there is residue that can't be picked up (ie mushy stuff), how should I deal with it?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My point in the original question was when you get a softee, do you offer to pressure wash or something? If there is residue that can't be picked up (ie mushy stuff), how should I deal with it?
I guess you could carry a bottled water with you if you anticipate a "softee" .

It's happened in front of my house, and I don't get mad.....what can I expect someone to do? As long as an attempt is made to pick up what you can and it's not a regular thing (softees every day), I can't imagine anyone would be mad. Stopping by later to clean it would be above and beyond and not really necessary, I think.

But softees should be occassional anyway, you want a firm stool, so I'd check the diet if it happens with any regularity.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
My dogs usually go on our property, but whenever I walk them I take along a plastic bag and paper towel, napkin, or Kleenex to pick it up. I've never had a softee on the sidewalk. I guess I'd just clean it up the best I could and wipe the area with my paper towel, napkin, or Kleenex.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
With regard to the edge of the street, I still obviously pick it up.
Oh, and I wasn't directing my curbing comment at you in any way, I was just pointing out some of the Florida laws here since you're new to the area and the laws might have been different for you before. Also, the beach laws can be new if you're new to living near the beach. But it was all more information that what you asked for.......sorry!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Oh, and I wasn't directing my curbing comment at you in any way, I was just pointing out some of the Florida laws here since you're new to the area and the laws might have been different for you before. Also, the beach laws can be new if you're new to living near the beach. But it was all more information that what you asked for.......sorry!
Ok. Don't worry. I didn't want anyone thinking I was leaving it everywhere.

I didn't have a doggy in Maryland or VA so I didn't know what their rules were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs