Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

I recently spent a few days at Best Friends and wanted to pass along a few things to others that may want to go.

#1 – Had a Great time and hope to visit again. Everyone I met on the staff was warm and great to work with.

I took the tour, but spent my volunteer time in Dogtown. I heard the other areas are just as good.

Volunteers have a lot of flexibility in what they do. I mostly walked dogs, but also did some cleaning and helped with feeding, as well as just spending some time visiting with the dogs.

If you want to stay on property, reserve early. They have people that make reservations over a year in advance. I booked my travel in July and was unable to get consecutive days in October. (I ended up in both cabin and cottage.)

The cabins (4) are small and the cottages (8) are roomy with a back deck overlooking a horse area. Both are nice and clean. There are several private hotels in Kanab that don’t show up on a Expedia search (or maybe I just didn’t look hard enough.)

Be sure to take advantage of the $5 buffet lunch. If you are not staying on property, the only other choice is a 5 mile drive to Kanab.

Dogs approved for sleep-overs may not be approved for patio dining (if you want to sit outside at a café in Kanab for dinner). I ended up doing fast-food drive through and driving back to Best Friends with the dogs. Only one dog per cabin/cottage/hotel room.

There is a huge beautiful, grassy park in Kanab to take the dogs. There are only two areas with much grass at Best Friends – the Welcome Center and the beautiful Angels’ Landing.

The walking trails are beautiful, but some areas can be difficult with the loose sand.

The closest major airport is Las Vegas, but some fly into St. George. I enjoy Vegas, so the extra driving was not an issue, especially through the beautiful country. The drive out was from the South, but I came back going North out of Best Friends. I was amazed driving back through Zion Nat’l Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
So glad to hear of your fine trip. I spent a week in 2007 and stayed in a cottage and it was just beautiful. It was July, though, and a heat wave, plus I found out that I do in fact have allergies- in Utah in July, anyway. I spent mornings staggering around Old Friends walking old dogs and afternoons collapsed in a/c. I had three dogs for sleep overs and was happy to hear that one 10-year-old big black dog named Sally got a good home (I had already agreed to take a dog they asked me to take).
Zion is my favorite place ever. It's so sculptural.
I also flew into L.V. and the drive is beautiful once you cross the state line. It's the cheapest flight- Salt Lake City is hundreds more and a couple of hours more.
I left by going north to Colorado to continue my trip, would happily go back to B.F. for a week- just not in allergy season (which seems to be July-first frost).
I think the whole state is overlooked by people as place to visit. Just driving through it is breathtaking, even if you're not a hiker or a B.F. volunteer.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
That's a gorgeous part of the country. What a great trip you had! My brother lives in Kayenta, near St. George. He says it's a paradise on earth. His backyard is all natural -- no maintence -- and mountains.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I too have spent a week at Best friends and spent all my time in dog town. I did a trip with my two sisters which added to the fun . We all flew into Vegas the night before had a great breakfast buffet and rented a car and enjoyed the drive.We did take all day as we stopped in Zion to explore. One of my sisters spent a few days with the cats while the other sister and I did the dogs. We pretty much did what the OP did and because we went while everyone was still down at Katrina there were not tons of Volunteers so we were not restricted in what we wanted to do in any way. I have to say I LOVED that $5.00 lunch as the vegetarian meals were delicious and the view was to die for. We went in the fall so mornings and nights were COLD and much of the town was closed up but the big plus was rattlesnakes were no longer out as I know they do have issues with them during the warm months so you may come across them while walking or even in the dogs enclosures at times and being I hate snakes I was happy they were no longer out . It is a great trip to take with a family member or a friend.

The only bad thing was my sister who had lost her 16 yr old collies several years before had finally found a dog she wanted to adopt and we did a sleep over with him and despite there being 3 of us he seemed to bond with her then Best Friends would not allow the adoption because she works and did not have a dog door! We even had the plans to drive him home all worked out! Go figure she had a collie for 16 yrs and a vet and others that would testify that she was a great owner, she and the dog bonded and then she gets that? Then the adoption person says "oh there are a lot of great dogs at your local shelters so I suggest you try there" forget the fact that it had taken her years to find a dog she was willing to open her heart too again and the fact they seemed to have bonded or that he was a dog that did not like other dogs and would be an only dog at her house...all I could say was shame on Best Friends as it did not sit well with the no more homeless animals motto they project. By the way about a year later she did find a dog from a local rescue and that dog lives a great life and has an agility title now and goes all over Portland with my sister and to think that could have been the dog from Best Friends that won that lotto. OH well I love my sisters beastie . I do hope the Best Friends dog did find a good home too as he was a really nice shepherd collie mix. I still do support Best Friends as I do think the sanctuary is fantastic but it did tarnish them in my view they are not as perfect as they try to project.By refusing adoptions for such silly reasons they send some people who would adopt to buying instead and how does that support no more homeless animals?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I adopted my dog from "No More Homeless Pets" which I think back then partnered or was in some way associated with "Best Friends." I was surprised at how particular they were with placing her. Luckily I had a fully fenced, shady, grassy back yard and a doggy door. Still seemed they were WAAAAAAY too picky. I too could've provided vet references, personal references etc.

Glad you had a nice experience at the site otherwise. I'm afraid I'd be an emotional basketcase--knowing I couldn't take all the dogs home with me....so I just donate money to animal charities/organizations instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs