U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 AM

39,230 posts, read 18,771,218 times

Advertisements

My partner and I adopted a little three legged beagle puppy who was found on the side of the road in Tennessee. Her front leg was so mangled and infected and wasted from serious wounds that it was life threatening. . She was about a year old. Fortunately the head of the humane society of that rural county had seen her and was able to coax her out of her hiding place in the woods and take her to their vet. Beagles are throw-away dogs in the rural south. Since Allie is terrified of thunder and fire works....we speculate that on her first hunting trip she either bolted or proved "That Dawg Caint Hunt!" and was left behind to fend for herself.

When the vet examined her he asked....."What do you want me to do? Do you want me to put her down or to amputate?" Thank God, the lady said....".she is so beautiful, and has struggled so hard to live and has endured so much in her short life...lets give her a chance. I am sure we can find a home for her."

Allie was operated on and went home with the lady to recuperate and was then advertised as a Special Needs Adoption on an interstate adoption service. We adopted her and arranged her transport from Tennessee to Maine......and now three years later....she is part of our family who gives us joy every single day.

Our Allie's story still brings tears to my eyes. I also became aware that there is a network of kind people working on behalf of unwanted dogs, many in kill shelters......and helping them find" forever homes" in the north-east. It reminds me of the Underground Railroad during the Antebellum period.

The trucking company that brought Allie up to us.....brings 100 dogs every week to forever homes awaiting them from Pennsylvania up thru NY and the rest of New England. We met the truck in a Wal-Mart parking lot in NH ..... and waited while others got their dogs.....and when our turn said to the guys on the truck......we are waiting for a three legged Beagle named Allie. The man responded...."Oh you are getting an awesome dog.....we all have fallen in love with her". He went to her crate and handed us a beautiful doe-eyed gold and white beagle girl.....she is spunky and stubborn and one of the sweetest creatures I have ever known.

Thank God for the people who help dogs find their forever home. Please consider adopting a dog.

"He prayeth best who lovest best all creatures great and small.
For the Dear God, who made and loveth us....he made and loveth all."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times
What a beautiful story. Heroes all!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,565,514 times
Yes, a truly wonderful story. Thank you so much for posting. Do you have any pictures you could share?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Yes, a truly wonderful story. Thank you so much for posting. Do you have any pictures you could share?
I don't know how to do that.

Picture a lovely golden and white beagle with gorgeous soft doe skin ears and a white stipe down her nose and three white stockings on her feet and a white tip on her tail and white under her neck. Picture her waking up in the morning and coming out and rolling and stretching while on her back. Picture her coming up to you and showering your in kisses....so incessantly that finally you have to tell her..no more Allie.....no more.

Picture this little girl jumping into her favorite chair and then keeping one eye on you and the other trying to catch a little rest. Picture her scooting around the furniture and playfully evading you and her sister in a game of catch-me-if-you-can. picture her nuzzeling between you and her other Daddy....blissfully sleeping and ready for another day of adventure and love.

This is not my Allie but it is very much the way she looks.....but Allie has a sweetness not captured in any photograph. We are all so aware of how fortunate we are that things worked out the way they did. We are truly blessed. All of us.

Last edited by elston; 10-03-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM

A little background.....my partner had had 4 Westies.....beautiful dogs. When we got together his Cricket was getting older and was worn down by about 4 years of treatment for Addison Disease. When she passed....we were bereft....but eventually began to talk about a new dog. Since he had such history with Westies....I suggested we look to buy another one. He said he didn't want to try to replace Cricket and he thought he wanted to find a dog who really needed us...a chance for a home.

We already had one rescue dog and I was very fine with that ..... so we decided we would wait until a dog came into our lives that needed a home....a forever home.

One afternoon he came out of the office and told me he thought he had found our new dog. I went and checked the computer and saw precious Allie and her designation "Special Need Adoption". I was afraid that we might not be up for the challenge of a tripod puppy. My partner pointed out we had nursed a very sick dog and kept her alive to the amazement of our vet for years and years.....and besides he said...."Cricket always loved beagles...they were her absolute favorite.....I think Cricket is picking out this little Beagle because she wants it to have the love we always gave to her."

Well who could argue with that.....so we made contact with the foster mom and assessed how Allie might adjust to our home and our existing dog....and it all seemed perfect. As You Can read above....it was perfect indeed. Our hearts and our family are blessed and filled with love.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 PM

13,291 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Lovely story.
I'm getting two abandoned seniors from Maryland this weekend (yes, whiled still looking for the missing Brandy). There is some sort of very organized group that arranged five legs of transport for Bear and Marshmellow (Bear is a girl and MM is a boy- weird, already trying to think of a nickname for him) and they are coming from Maryland to northern Mass, both 13 years old and always together. It'll be nice to have a happy senior story while still trying to find wild Brandy ("Lost Dog").
I love adoption and supporting rescuers. It makes everyone so happy.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM

I especially love that these two mature friends are being kept together....God Bless You for facilitating that! It really is important!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Great story! Where did she come from in TN, if you don't mind my asking? We're in middle TN, nearly Cookeville. Sounds like your transport group might be Pets LLC. I've worked with them a lot sending dogs up your way. Great group of people. As horrible as things are here, we do have some of the most wonderful rescues and transporters and road warriors you'd imagine. I've even met other CD posters here. One adopted a sweet little puppy from my rescue and another has helped me transport dogs into MO. One of those went to a friend of mine from elementary school. The three of us stay in touch on Facebook.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM

5,691 posts, read 4,119,924 times
Thanks so much for sharing these stories. I love happy stories like these! There are too many sad, abuse stories and not enough happy endings.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Lovely story.
I'm getting two abandoned seniors from Maryland this weekend (yes, whiled still looking for the missing Brandy). There is some sort of very organized group that arranged five legs of transport for Bear and Marshmellow (Bear is a girl and MM is a boy- weird, already trying to think of a nickname for him) and they are coming from Maryland to northern Mass, both 13 years old and always together. It'll be nice to have a happy senior story while still trying to find wild Brandy ("Lost Dog").
I love adoption and supporting rescuers. It makes everyone so happy.
I saw a pair of Bichons with those names on RescueMe.org. Are they by any chance those dogs? I too applaud you for taking in two seniors and mates at that. I hope you all will be very happy together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs