U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 PM

350 posts, read 357,868 times

Advertisements

Ok so my family has decided to get a dog upon further discussion. Does anyone have any suggestions on breeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Am I ready? Possibly. I posted this question in order to gain more information. I want to fully explain my situation so that experienced dog owners are able to analyse and give their educated opinions on my potential new purchase. Most people here thought for some reason that I would be the only taking care of my dog (for 4 hours a day) and that I would be feeding it scraps.

I understand the fact that owning a dog is a huge responsibility. I have friends who can attest to this. I believe in debating and discussion to discover information and come to logical conclusions in a peaceful manner. Whether someone from an online forum will do this over a topic such as this is well... unlikely I guess Lol.

If you're bound and determined to get a dog, please go to your local animal shelter or Humane Society. There are a lot of dogs there that need good homes. Please don't leave the dog outside all the time. Dogs are pack animals. They need companionship. It's part of who they are.

I really hope you've thought this through, for the sake of the dog.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times
if your certain...
1: go to the shelter or a GOOD Breeder and adopt an OLDER dog, something in the 1-3 yr age range, look for a shelter that has fosters, most fosters (and older pups from breeders) will have some crate, potty and minimal behavioral training. dogsfrom shelters will aso typically already be spay/neutered and utd on shots, dewormer, flea and heartworm protection.

breed is more dependant on many factors from grooming to exersize to persoanlty....

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Quote:
Ok so my family has decided to get a dog upon further discussion. Does anyone have any suggestions on breeds?
: smack:

OMG My head hurts. After all we've told you?? Really??

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,965,032 times
Quote:
Is having a dog a big responsibility? I work nights and sleep during the day,

Is it expensive?

My parents are from a country where animals are ALWAYS outside so it will be a big change. I would assume that the golden retriever is a good option. I want a dog that is smart and low maintenance.

Lastly, where do dogs use the washroom? My parents do not want it doing its buisiness inside at all.
Work nights and sleep during day? Strike one for the dog!
Expensive? Yes! Strike two for the dog.
Parents who will be of little or no help with dog? Strike three for the dog!

This dog will either end up: 1) at a shelter (best bet for the dog); or 2) leading a sad lonely life in the backyard while OP continues on with his/her life of work and friends.

Trust me, I've seen it happen many times before.

OP, please consider getting your animal fix by volunteering at a shelter when you can. Now that's a win-win for all.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM

350 posts, read 357,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
: smack:

OMG My head hurts. After all we've told you?? Really??
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Work nights and sleep during day? Strike one for the dog!
Expensive? Yes! Strike two for the dog.
Parents who will be of little or no help with dog? Strike three for the dog!

This dog will either end up: 1) at a shelter (best bet for the dog); or 2) leading a sad lonely life in the backyard while OP continues on with his/her life of work and friends.

Trust me, I've seen it happen many times before.

OP, please consider getting your animal fix by volunteering at a shelter when you can. Now that's a win-win for all.
My family has discussed this issue in depth and I've taken all the useful information (not the attacks from some clowns itt) into consideration. Everyone is 100% committed to this, even my parents surprisingly who want a dog for protection and as a friend when I get older and move out. We will be going to my local humane society for more info and to test out the waters. Slowly but surely it will come.

I find it very sad that you actually think I would neglect an animal to the point where it rots outside with little to no food. Extremely sad. Fortunately you can't do anything to stop our decision

Are there any recommendations on breeds?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM

839 posts, read 1,035,859 times
Quote:
My family has discussed this issue in depth and I've taken all the useful information (not the attacks from some clowns itt) into consideration. Everyone is 100% committed to this, even my parents surprisingly who want a dog for protection and as a friend when I get older and move out. We will be going to my local humane society for more info and to test out the waters. Slowly but surely it will come.

I find it very sad that you actually think I would neglect an animal to the point where it rots outside with little to no food. Extremely sad. Fortunately you can't do anything to stop our decision

Are there any recommendations on breeds?
A dog should only be used as an alarm to let you know someone is near by, not for protection. That's your job. Buy a gun.

Get a breed that doesn't require a lot of exercise. You said a friend bought a Doberman? Don't follow that suite, they're one of the most athletic breeds and require a lot of exercise.

There is plenty of information regarding breeds on the internet. Just google it.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM

568 posts, read 822,715 times
Three words - dont do it.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM

7,475 posts, read 20,167,483 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, but I don't think I explained my situation properly and was taken outta context.

I work nights, but am active in the morning until around 1 PM. I have two brothers (teens) and a mother who is not working (At home) who have more than enough time to train and take care of a dog. It's not like I will be abandoning it. My parents believe a dog should be outside, but they don't mind dogs and are enthusiastic about having one around if me and my brothers are.

I can assue you that food (dog food) will not be a problem. I have a friend who bought a Doberman: No prior dog experience, has a family, isn't around all the time etc.. It's perfectly trained and fine.

The dog WILL have HUMAN BEINGS taking care of it at all times. Very willing and enthusiastic human beings I must add. The dog will have proper nutrition. The health and safety of my potential new friend would be my first priority.

This is what I was afraid of, you didn't hear a word anyone said. You were expecting the answer you wanted to hear, not the truth. I have known many young people in you situation who had to have a dog. The parents always end up with the dog when you move out. Animals are expensive and take a lot of your time, which you won't be giving them when you move out and start chasing ladies/guys and partying, and all the other things that occupy young adults lives..
Don't do it..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
What kind ?

1- one which does not need a lot of exercise
1- one which eats very little-but still get quality food
3- one which gives great companionship
4- one who when it pees and poops inside won't make a big mess
5- one who needs very little time to train

I've got the perfect breed: A CAT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs