U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,489,032 times

Advertisements

mod cut

Guess what? I've never seen it before yesterday either.. that's why it was so shocking and upsetting to me.

To be honest, vet going experience is somwhat limited.

I grew up on a rural farm - our vet came to us.

Then I joined the military - once I moved out of the barracks - I used the "base vet". Most military bases have a couple Army vets who are there to oversee the care of mascot animals, horses and the working dogs (like the k9 units belong to the military police. The will see pets owned by military members as "space available". So yeah, coming in unleashed would NEVER have flown there..

After my husband retired form the military - we used a "cat only" vet near our home. We moved here a couple years ago and haven't had much need of a vet until the last six months or so.

I can remember being a younger woman starting out at my first couple jobs dealing with the public - I think I would have been a little unsure what to do or uneasy about confronting a "customer" .

Me - I'm now a former Marine and a "momma bear" - so yeah, not afriad to get in someone's face if the situation calls for it. But in a 10ft by 10ft area with a big, sick, cranky dog that I know nothing about between us and the door, there is no way that getting in the owners face , as you suggest, would have been wise.

Im writing an email so can cc all the vets (there are several ) at the practice and the office manager. I'd like some sort of paper trail , I guess. We have to pop in there a couple weeks from now to pick up some specaialty food - long enough for them to get some signs up for sure.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM

4,707 posts, read 10,144,133 times
mod cutANY dog and EVERY dog in a vets waiting room should be leashed. And every vets office should strictly enforce that!

Being a dog owner I do not even like it when I am at the vets and some one with a very social dog on leash lets it wander over into my dogs space. #1 my dog may not like your friendly dog invading its space #2 we are both at the vets for a reason,who's to say that one of our dogs might not be sick and able to spread what it has?

Sadly there are people out there that think rules do not apply to them or to their dogs . I am willing to bet these people are like that in all aspects of life not just the dog part,

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:04 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM

mod cut, orphaned
Before I had my daughter , dogs weren't really on my radar. I had dogs I loved as a child (collies), but haven't had any as an adult. I'm annoyed when I see dogs in places they shouldn't be, and at some of our neighbors refusal t pick up after their dogs or stop them from barking all hours. But for the most, part I'm "live and let live" . I wasn't afriad of mod cut any dogs....

I think anyone with a brain who has a baby - well, there are alot of things you see differently. Most of the time - we met dogs are various parks. mod cut Mostly, they are just walking or jogging with their owners... Certain breeds are know to respond more to "prey behavior" and more likely, I think, mistake a running child for prey

mod cut
At some point - I think the argument isn't about dogs or breeds - it's about human decency.

I have an aunt who is terrified of snakes . A picture of one is VERY upsetting to her and an actual snake even in a glass case will bring her to tears. Do I think it's a bit silly? Well, yeah. I can appreciate that some are very beautiful without desiring to own one... My daughter loves them, they are one of her favroite parts of our local nature center. Still when my aunt came out to visit, when we went to the nature center, I explained that we were going to skip the snakes because they make auntie "sad" and that respecting auntie's feeling was more important..

mod cut, off topic

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,102,039 times
Just curious - where was the unrestrained pup when they brought out your cat? and weren't you nervous about that as well?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM

43,471 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It's also called business owners' responsibility. That clinic should have insisted that the man put the dog on a leash or wait outside in his vehicle.

Absolutely no excuse for that, be it a 10 lb. chihuahua or an 80 lb. pit bull.

I'd suggest you find a new vet.
While they may have primary liability, I still think it is the owner's responsibility.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Just curious - where was the unrestrained pup when they brought out your cat? and weren't you nervous about that as well?
The dog wasn't there when we arrived. We had already completed the vet part of the visit - they had taken her to the back room to do the anal glands and give her medication. I suspect maybe these things are done by the vet tech while the dr moves on to the next exam room? In any case, we were told to wait at the front counter and they would bring her back out along with her take home meds and the final bill. That's when the dog came in...

Old 10-04-2013, 05:34 PM

12,423 posts, read 7,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
The dog wasn't there when we arrived. We had already completed the vet part of the visit - they had taken her to the back room to do the anal glands and give her medication. I suspect maybe these things are done by the vet tech while the dr moves on to the next exam room? In any case, we were told to wait at the front counter and they would bring her back out along with her take home meds and the final bill. That's when the dog came in...
But then what happened when they brought out your cat? If this dog has such a high prey drive that it was going to hurt your duaghter, wouldn't it have also gone after a cat? You know an actual small animal that it would consider prey and want to chase?

You paid for the bill with the cat and daughter there in that small room with the dog... what happened?!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,455,726 times
mod cut
I agree.

Any dog, any breed, off leash, is dangerous.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: off topic/orphaned

Old 10-04-2013, 07:04 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,153,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, I wouldn't have been happy if it had been any unrestrained breed. I've never let her pet any of the other dogs/puppies we've seen there. The vet also has a groomer in the back. So I feel like any anomals there are either sick or maybe stressed.

I do let her pet dogs we know or ones we meet (properly and with owners approval)

Of course, I wouldn't have been happy with a unrestrained jack russell. But a sick, out of sorts 80lb dog against a 30lb toddler . My daughter wouldn't have stood a chance.
No she would not have stood a chance. Cesar Millan doesn't caution the public to have RESPECT for powerful breeds mod cutfor nothing. And he is a huge proponent of not blaming the dog but blaming the owners. But he doesn't let his emotions color his advise and warnings.

And at age 3, IMO, you should be VERY cautious letting her pet ANY dog especially belonging to a stranger. They lie all the time. Most dogs don't even like kids. When I'm walking client dogs I never EVER let them socialize with humans OR other dogs. Unless they already have a relationship and even then I don't want the risk and aggravation if I don't know the other dog.

I walk two Boxers everyday and they'd BOTH break your kid's neck if she approached - from exuberance at least - and I could NOT guarantee you they wouldn't give a bite, dogs don't think things through or rationalize like humans. And a jackass like THAT guy would be all "Oh he never did that before" while YOUR kid is bleeding out on the floor.

Lastly, my first client dog bite was a Chihuahua-Corgi mix who leaped up from her bed from 4 feet away and ripped my JEANS on the thigh and flapped my skin. Yes it was MY error for breaking my own rule and "almost" approaching her. But how would YOU know that as a regular person?

WHY? She didn't FEEL WELL and was on meds. As it turns out that owner became my BFF but it illustrates that your paranoia is not unfounded. That dog never bit another human but she DID take other dogs down in the elevator when their OWNERS allowed them to jump up on my friend, her owner. You cannot trust OTHER PEOPLE.

LOL see the tail, the ears forward, the eyes staring, the mouth closed? Not generally safe.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: no breed specifics, please

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM

3,362 posts, read 2,688,737 times
mod cut

Any dog, but especially any large dog, unleashed and feeling "cranky" (per the owner) is a threat. Especially if there's a 3 year old child involved in the scenario.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or