Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times

Advertisements

We haven't quite decided which type of fence we're getting, but we're getting 3/4 acre fenced. It sure isn't cheap.

We contacted three companies. One took a week to call us back. Forget them.

#2 was extremely professional, in business since 1956, and just up the road from us. Family business, good references, competitive prices.

#3 wasn't quite as professional (didn't have a busniess card with him and I had to ask to see literature, brought an estimate before he even saw our place and now has to work up another, which is three days and counting...) -- but I thought he could do a very good job.

We could have settled on either #2 or#3, but here was the deciding factor. My husband had a COW when I told him this. #3 was here for an hour on Wednesday when it was 85 degrees outside, and pretty muggy. We were inside chatting about some things when I told him I should let him get to his next appointment.

He said, "Yeah, I probably should go. My dog is in the car."

I told him he should have brought the dog inside and asked him what kind of dog. Now it gets worse. A papillon.

My husband said, "Anyone that stupid and irresponsible isn't doing any work on our property and doesn't deserve any of our money!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Your husband is spot on. My blood started boiling reading the dog was left in the car for over an hour....

Even before you mentioned the part about the dog, I would not have gone with a company that is so disorganized. It is an expensive undertaking and you do not want surprises.

Still boiling over that dog. My little foster sleeping next to me is a Papillon.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
Will you tell this guy why he isn't hired?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I like #2.

I always try to spend my money locally.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Will you tell this guy why he isn't hired?
Probably not, Coach. But I am sure he knew I was shocked. I was pretty firm in my advice to never do that to any dog. Maybe that's why he still hasn't sent me an estimate.

Now here's something that made me LOL. I stepped over a Scat Mat leaving the kitchen just now. Haven't turned them on in weeks and both dogs never even think to go in there anymore, so, mission accomplished. I wondered what I could do with them now...and I calculated what it would cost to lay Scat Mats all around the 600 feet where we're planning the fence.

Totally crazy idea, but also $4000 less than the fence!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Oh Man I would have a cow. Just last weekend at the farmers market I embarrassed my husband by laying into somebody who left 2 dogs in the car for more than 25 minutes. I had a police officer standing with me when the girl returned sputtering something about "only gonna be gone 10 minutes when I ran into old friend".

So I'd go with #2.

speaking of fence contractors. We worked for several weeks with two companies on designs and prices. When we let one guy know we were going with somebody else he sent an e mail saying " Hope you don't regret your choice to go with a landscaper who won't do a professional job. Remember you get what you pay for". Dh was furious when he sent back e mail "We are not hiring a landscaper. He is a fence contractor who has enjoyed a great reputation in this area for almost 15 years". Idiot returned with "Hope you are happy with his product and work. Remember I fix all sorts of messes so call me when you find it's not what you thought you were getting."

WTF? Can you imagine a professional business person making such snarky comments about a competitor. And also about us as he was insulting us as much as his competitor.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I like #2.

I always try to spend my money locally.
Well, with a fence contractor, they're all local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs