Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times

Advertisements

Long story, but I feel the need to vent about this! I was walking my dog in a public park yesterday. I'd moved to an open area with a small creek and had put my dog on a long leash to do training and then let her swim. There happened to be a woman walking there with three dogs (one of which was off leash when I initially walked towards the area), her mother, and a teenager on a bike.

My dog was on a long leash, but I didn't let her near the other dogs (which were beginning to bark) and I scrapped my training plans since the other dogs were nearby. However, I did let my dog go swimming; it's her favorite activity and it was away from the other people (who'd moved away as I got closer).

So I got the point: they didn't want the dogs to meet, that's fine. A few minutes later my dog finished swimming so I gathered up the leash and we started heading back in the direction from which we'd come. I noticed that the family with the three dogs was headed in the same direction, but I was nowhere near them and neither was my leashed dog. All of a sudden I hear "You've got to be kidding me!" from the woman with the dogs and she sends her son over to ask which way I was going! I told him I'd let my dog swim and was now headed back towards the park exit, at which point I kept on walking and they turned around in the other direction.

Now here's the thing: why in heaven's name would they be annoyed at me over this? I'm not the one with three barking dogs and I didn't let my dog do anything to antagonize them. I simply walked around in a public park with my (well behaved) dog and unfortunately for them, happened to be going in the same general direction they were.

On a happier note, here's a video of my dog swimming :

Callie swimming in Promised Land Lake. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
People are just stupid is the only explanation.

Pro-tip: turn your phone sideways when you make videos

Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
How do you get him back into the boat when he's done swimming?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
People are just stupid is the only explanation.

Pro-tip: turn your phone sideways when you make videos
LOL: sometimes I remember and other times I don't. In this case, I was simultaneously trying to maneuver a boat, not fall out myself, keep track of the dog, and record a video at the same time. And I don't like the water (or rather, I don't like being on boats).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How do you get him back into the boat when he's done swimming?
That's why I'm glad I had the doggie life vest on her: I grabbed the handle at the top of the vest and hoisted her in (she's only 12.5 lbs)!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
So Callie is a schipperke? (I took a peek at some of your other YouTube videos.) She's adorable! That's a breed you don't see too often.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
So Callie is a schipperke? (I took a peek at some of your other YouTube videos.) She's adorable! That's a breed you don't see too often.
Thanks! She is a schipperke and she still has her tail, which I love, despite the fact that it's not breed standard in the U.S. I've had a schipperke mix and another purebred schipperke, and she loves the water the most out of the three of them. If you look at my videos, the first one of her from last year, when she was only 8 weeks old, shows her first sight of water (and she hopped right in). She's a natural swimmer. And a natural hunter, for that matter! I came home Saturday after being away for a day and a half (a friend came over to watch her). I let her out a couple minutes after I got home and within seconds of letting her out she'd caught a mole out in the garden and killed it. While I appreciate not having moles in my garden, I'm not fond of cleaning up after the kills! At least she doesn't try to eat them, she just tosses them around and "plays" with them!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Thanks! She is a schipperke and she still has her tail, which I love, despite the fact that it's not breed standard in the U.S. I've had a schipperke mix and another purebred schipperke, and she loves the water the most out of the three of them. If you look at my videos, the first one of her from last year, when she was only 8 weeks old, shows her first sight of water (and she hopped right in). She's a natural swimmer. And a natural hunter, for that matter! I came home Saturday after being away for a day and a half (a friend came over to watch her). I let her out a couple minutes after I got home and within seconds of letting her out she'd caught a mole out in the garden and killed it. While I appreciate not having moles in my garden, I'm not fond of cleaning up after the kills! At least she doesn't try to eat them, she just tosses them around and "plays" with them!
Yes...her tail threw me off, so I Googled her breed and saw pics of schipperkes with short and not-so-short tails. (I've only ever seen the ones with short tails.)

She is definitely part fish! The videos of her in the water are a riot!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Yes...her tail threw me off, so I Googled her breed and saw pics of schipperkes with short and not-so-short tails. (I've only ever seen the ones with short tails.)

She is definitely part fish! The videos of her in the water are a riot!
Yep, her breeder didn't crop. I guess some are born with shorter tails or tails that don't curl as well. But if you look on youtube, a lot of the schipperke videos are from Europe where you'll see the tails since it's largely illegal there to crop I believe.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Yep Tail got me too LOL ONLY ones I been around were BORN Tailless! Inc their pups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs