U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 AM

1,686 posts, read 2,587,652 times

Advertisements

Two years ago, my parents, with whom I was very close, died 4 months apart. I cared for them both, and after their passing I decided to move to another county with more ground for my dogs, so I moved to Kennett Square, PA, into a small development of 6 homes each with about three-quarters of an acre. I was thrilled by the home, and fenced off about a half-acre before I even moved in. My Doberman, Luna, LOVES, LOVES, LOVES playing Frisbee! My other two are wonderful rescues, a Collie and a Pointer mix.

I noticed that the neighbors were rather cold to me. I introduced myself and the canines, and they really didn't have much to say. After two years, they still don't, although I noticed that they get together for their pool parties and barbecues with the other neighbors. Two of the other 5 neighbors have dogs and two have cats...so they are pet people, obviously.

Now I am a good "doggie neighbor." They are always securely indoors when I'm not home, and I'm usually outside with them during play. The biggest barker is the Collie, and if she barks at the children (that's her social way of "talking"), I always hush her up so as not to disturb. I have tried to engage these people. I have purchased cookies, books, bracelets from their children who are constantly knocking at my door selling something. I thought perhaps they were thinking I was some kind of oddball: single, no kids...but so what? In my old neighborhood, which was much more diverse, my dogs and others were like family members, and we all go on so well, even "pet sitting" now and then for each other.

Recently I found out from a guy in another development that the reason they are so cold is because they were upset that a Doberman was in the neighborhood. Dear God! SERIOUSLY??? When they see what a good girl she is? When one of their snarling dogs got loose when we were walking, barked like a lunatic in her face, and Luna just stood there and sniffed???? This is a dog who didn't budge from my dying Mother's side, who still comforts me constantly in my continual grief; who puts up with being "herded" by the young Collie since I rescued her as a puppy. Shoot: I've had Dobes, usually in pairs for 26 years, and they've ALL been STELLAR.

I'm putting the house up for sale next month. I am sickened by the ignorance around me. Just had to vent, and thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
That's terribly sad. I know that a good neighborhood and good neighbors can make a big difference in your everyday life, I hope you find a better place to live with you pups.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,492,225 times
Dobie owner here.
Their loss.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,672,984 times
I had Dobermans from 1970 to 2007. I'm happy to report I never experienced this. Is there some type of groupthink in your neighborhood? Are they all Stepford robots? I can see one or two people not trusting the breed due to lingering prejudices, but being shunned by the lot is chilling. It's like an Amish thing, but based on dog breed. I get the creeps just reading about this. Move next door to me, I'll welcome all Dobes.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
ive had this response to my new dobe pup...shes small so people thik shes a min pn come ove aww howcute then freek when they notice how big her feet are and that shes not a :mini: afterall...*rolls eyes*
she doesntcare, shes pretty indifferent to peope anyway (mommas girl) and id refer people to ignore me (SA lol)

but th worst are the other idiots, the ones that getup on my cae for NOT cropping her ears...or because eim goig tospay her..or because I training her to be a srivce dog and not soe jun yard attack dog baby momma...Id rather have people terrified of her than the latter...

I do think itssad though....sounds like the kind of neighborhood that would free ut if somoneof the wrong Race oved I too,..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,708,090 times
Ignorance knows no bounds and I'm so sorry you found a pack of it. I hope you find a loving neighborhood for yourself and your fur friends, they and you sound delightful and you all deserve to live in a place that accepts and loves you back. You need a place that welcomes you especially now when you are recovering from your loss, I hope one day these ignorant, cold people realize what a treasure they let slip through their stiff fingers. Best of luck to you and your fur friends.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Recently I found out from a guy in another development that the reason they are so cold is because they were upset that a Doberman was in the neighborhood.
Are you moving because they don't apporve of your Doberman? If that is the case, do not rely on some stranger telling you that is the reason your neighbors are cold. Flat out go ask them. This guy could be wrong. What do you have to lose? If they say it is because of your Doberman, then you were going to move anyway (and it makes them look stupid because they had to say it out loud.) If it is something else, maybe you can remedy it because it is a mis-understanding.

I would never give up my house because I heard something from "some guy in another neighborhood". I would always verify with the actual source.

(Dobermans are wonderful dogs!)

Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM

12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times
I wouldnt move even if it is because of the Dobie! People are stupid...just live your life & Ignor them. Stop buying for the neighbors even the kids! BTW They dont consider the dogs dangerous if they did they wouldnt be sendingf the kids over to get things from you or sell things to you!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,166,602 times
As a fellow Dobe owner, it is their loss. Best, most loyal, and intelligent breed known to mankind. Seriously.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM

1,686 posts, read 2,587,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I had Dobermans from 1970 to 2007. I'm happy to report I never experienced this. Is there some type of groupthink in your neighborhood? Are they all Stepford robots? I can see one or two people not trusting the breed due to lingering prejudices, but being shunned by the lot is chilling. It's like an Amish thing, but based on dog breed. I get the creeps just reading about this. Move next door to me, I'll welcome all Dobes.
HA! Funny you should mention this, as I refer to my street as "Stepfordville." Actually, I was so stunned to hear this, that I broke down in the danged store where I was having the conversation. The man I was talking to felt badly for telling me...but I am actually glad to know the truth since it explains why I felt as though I was living in a parallel universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs