U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,864 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I am an international student and I have a 4/5 year old beautiful, kind, playful, most amazing Husky. My mother refuses to keep her back home because now that I am in college she wants to travel. I can't see her be given away to another family because this dog has been with me through some really tragic events.

I want to bring her here after Xmas but right now I study in Trinity and have to live on campus at least until September. I need to find someone who would keep her for me. I would see her like 4 times a week and probably take her with me as much as I could. That shouldn't be a problem but of course I can't have living with me permanantly.

I would cover all the expenses and perhaps I could pay extra for this as well. I hope someone can help me because I really need to make this work.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,321,163 times
Need a little more info, please...where are you, and where is "back home"? No other relatives that could assist, or maybe a close family friend? Maybe we can come up with some ideas, but I'm not sure where you are and where your dog is.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,510,262 times
hope you can work this out. I feel bad for you as it's clear you want to keep your dog your just in a werid situation now. ....I can't take the dog, but if you give me more info ....location,etc maybe I push the info along to animal friends of mine. Could you look into a rescue just to foster her until you can have her back??? I don't know animal rescue rules, but maybe that's a option

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 AM

That's why I'm trying to figure out where she is and where the dog is, although most rescues that run foster programs obviously want to have foster dogs they can adopt out...still, we might get lucky if we know all the circumstances. Never can tell!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

133 posts, read 694,405 times
If you google the OP's screen name, there are a couple results that indicate they may be from Mississippi.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Yeah, but where is the dog? International student possibly in Mississippi with an IP out of Texas...gotta admit I'm confused. Hopefully Malenkii will check in soon!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Would contact Siberian Husky rescue and see if they have any available foster homes who might be willing to foster her, would imagine you'd have to sign a contract outlining everything and pay for food and meds and she'd need to be UTD and spayed (if not already), in addition you'd probably pay a boarding fee (might be negotiable but that w/b between both of you), a portion of the fee would probably go to their rescue. THey know the breed and might be open to dogsitting (although 6 months is a long time) or they may have other suggestions. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,510,262 times
i think u all are awesome for helping her out!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM

3,336 posts, read 12,643,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenkii7 View Post
Hey everyone.

I am an international student and I have a 4/5 year old beautiful, kind, playful, most amazing Husky. My mother refuses to keep her back home because now that I am in college she wants to travel. I can't see her be given away to another family because this dog has been with me through some really tragic events.

I want to bring her here after Xmas but right now I study in Trinity and have to live on campus at least until September. I need to find someone who would keep her for me. I would see her like 4 times a week and probably take her with me as much as I could. That shouldn't be a problem but of course I can't have living with me permanantly.

I would cover all the expenses and perhaps I could pay extra for this as well. I hope someone can help me because I really need to make this work.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.
While I can't help with finding anyone that can watch your pooch, aside from anothers post saying see if there is a local Husky rescue group, I will add this. If you do find someone that will care for you dog draw up an agreement stating the length and conditions of care. People can become very attached to animals and you need to protect yourself. By the way is she spayed? If not would you consider breeding her. You may find a breeder that is looking to a breed a dog. You may be able to work out a situation that is beneficial to both of you. Good luck to you and your pooch

Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
If not would you consider breeding her. You may find a breeder that is looking to a breed a dog. You may be able to work out a situation that is beneficial to both of you. Good luck to you and your pooch

Exhdo1, with all due respect - #1, this poster has not said her dog is a registered Husky or what bloodline it is from. I am sure if the potential for breeding this dog and maintaining a well bred line was there, it's already been done....so what we would end up with is yet another litter of pups we don't even know the familial history on. Not to mention that in the wrong hands the poster's dog could go into heat and end up having Huskadoodles or something.

Again - with all due respect, I think that is an idea that needs to be dropped before it's even considered....then again, I'm a whacko about animal population control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or