Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We use those and another type on our hunting dogs. They wear two.

Still, they can get out of range and in time the batteries will deplete.

It would not have helped with Brandy much.

I have a dog that is hard to catch.....the collar tell us where he is but, do not help getting him.

If anyone tries these collars, get the longer antenna's.
I didn't say it would have anything to do with Brandy. I posted that to Tina who said she has a nagging worry her dog will bolt. She doesn't have a fenced yard and the dog is not out of her sight, either.

Obviously it doesn't help CATCHING, duh. And obviously batteries eventually die. etc etc etc.

But I disagree anyway. How WOULDN"T GPS have at least helped knowing where Brandy was? Instead of leaving food out all over two states.

And not every dog travels far. Some hide under a bush or porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
Great update(s), am so happy for Brandy, thank you BLD, and thank you too, Dawn, for posting the nice picture of Brandy relaxing on her new bed (I like the collar too), she's made a lot of progress in a short time (but I know it's an ongoing process), hope the checkup goes well and shows she's gained some weight, sounds like she's gained some confidence venturing into the yard w/o Lori right by her side etc. Great way to start my day!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,402,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Lori just updated me. It's been eight days since Brandy was captured. She is eating well and this morning was rolling on her new bed and then on Lori's bed, tossing the quilt and just looking joyful while playing and rolling. She advanced to letting Lori stand on the deck while she and the others went in the yard. Previously, she wouldn't leave Lori to go into the yard, and had to be walked out with Lori. She's getting a vet checkup today but seems to be recovering remarkably well. She's so resilient and active at 14 1/2! I wonder when she'll start seeming like an older dog!
Lori says I didn't "dump" Brandy on her and that she should have been more aware before asking me to adopt her as to how attached Brandy was to her, but she was too busy and it got past her. We both agree that the most important thing is that Brandy is home and getting well and is happy. I don't think she'll be running away again, and I do think she was looking for Lori when she ran from my house.
Very happy to read this update. Brandy deserves every good and comfortable thing in life!!
It's incredible--and humbling--how resilient dogs can be, even after going through some very tough situations. That's one reason why I am such a dog lover--they have an amazing capacity for love, devotion and forgiveness that many people (including myself) struggle with in relations to other people.

It so easy for me to love dogs, and it feels harder for me to forgive people. We recently adopted another rescue dog--it was at the same time that Brightdoglover had brought Brandy to her home/I think we may have crossed paths in Massachusetts--and our little one had a stressful situation too. Irresponsibly abandoning a dog is something I will never, ever understand.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
I love adoption and rescue. Everybody wins!
Except my boy Dodger, who has been waiting for nine years to be the king and outlived everyone else, then I bring in a new rescue dog who doesn't get that he's the king.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I didn't say it would have anything to do with Brandy. I posted that to Tina who said she has a nagging worry her dog will bolt. She doesn't have a fenced yard and the dog is not out of her sight, either.

Obviously it doesn't help CATCHING, duh. And obviously batteries eventually die. etc etc etc.

But I disagree anyway. How WOULDN"T GPS have at least helped knowing where Brandy was? Instead of leaving food out all over two states.

Re-read the thread.

There was many times people was near Brandy.......and she bolted away.

I have a dog we turn out in 5000 acres to hunt and until HE is ready.......he will not be caught.

It is normal for him to run 25/30 miles chasing a bear.....if the bear keeps going, so will he.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

We will have a fenced yard two weeks from today, yayyy! We signed the contract a week ago and are SO excited about this. We will fence off 3/4 acre which will include most of the back garden, and the berms where the dogs like to play hide-and-seek. The first order of business will be training the dogs ahead of the fenceline. I doubt either dog will be inclined (or able, in Teddy's case) to jump it, but they'll be less inclined if they are trained to steer clear of it.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM

A little bit more update on Brandy.
When I adopted her, apparently she would only eat one kind of food- Pedigree bacon&cheese, and only one kind of treat, Bacon Beggin strips. I figured that might have eased up on the run! Lori tells me that Brandy is now getting 1/4 can of food every four hours- real chicken stew, real pot pie in a can, premium stuff, and that she "wants to eat all the time." I guess I'll give those cans of Pedigree to my dogs as a treat on their kibble. Brandy is doing so well!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
Thanks for all the updates.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
Such great news, Bright! So she developed champagne taste when she was on the run!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM

I knew when she was spotted eating something in front of the Feng Shui restaurant that she'd gone uptown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs