Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times

Advertisements

I strongly second LOve's recommendation of a raw diet. Grain-free does not mean carb-free...they gotta use something to allow the food to undergo processing and remain in kibble form....and that is either grains or non-grain carbs. The yeast will enjoy carbs as it does grains.

I would use a probiotic supplement rather than yogurt since you gotta give so much yogurt to match what the supplements offer. Although yogurt is a great addition to foods...we give it along with raw. The Benefits of Probiotics for Your Dog - Whole Dog Journal Article

And aquastone's experience with coconut oil is typical...the stuff is awesome. How Coconut Oil Benefits Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

Meds can certainly help...and may be necessary in an overwhelming infection...but they only address the yeast itself and not why the dog has a yeast problem. If you don't address the underlying cause the yeast will likely return eventually. Not always but it often does.

If you decide to try raw here is a great guide to easing your dog into it. Don't change his diet overnight. Bravo Beginning Booklet - Bravo Pet Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
It MAY be yeast or it may be something else. I'd take it to the vet first to make sure there isn't something else going on especially since he's older and a Boxer.

Have you had his teeth checked recently? Do you think it could be from an infected tooth or is the smell not emanating from his mouth?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,072,428 times
All great suggestions. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytogo View Post
Hi, I just wanted to share my experience for help to other doggies. I rescued a cocker in Florida and for 10 years I have spent THOUSANDS, in the double figures, trying to sort her continuous yeast, allergy, scratching, licking, bacterial infections out. You name it, it was always related to her triangle cycle of scratching, it getting infected and then stinking of yeast and just could never get a hold on it. A lifetime of antibiotics and vet/dermatologist visits. Poor thing has had the works. From a spectrum of natural and holistic remedies to the antihistamines and steroids etc etc.

The last course of antibiotics she took a few months ago, I decided to give her some probiotics just to see if it avoided the looming yeast infection. It did! Not only that, I noticed an improvement in her skin. I researched it to see if any other people had noticed a difference. I stumbled across a different probiotic that had good reviews - Probiotic Miracle - I bought it on Amazon. Her skin and her ears are a clean pinky color, not the brown, stinky, gloomy mess that they have been her whole life. I wanted to share this with as many people to try as possible. They have always suspected a food allergy, well she has been getting all types of foods and treats now, and nothing! Amazing. Please let me know if anyone else has had this luck, it would be interesting to know. The vet didn't think it could be that, but its the only change I have made in the last few years due to cautiousness! Good luck with yours!!
Hey there~ Newbie here. Your posting looks almost exactly like I would descibe my ****-tzu situation. 1st I took her to 3 vets. All they wanted was my money giving expensive antibiotic vaccines and steriods. I have proabably spent $3000 just this year. For the last 6 months I have been doing my own research online. I cant tell you how many nights I have been online until 2am and as late/early as 5 am. Please get back to me with probiotics and anything that can get my poor little doggie well.

Last edited by Dale2; 07-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: misspelled word but couldnt fix

Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Feed him some yogurt, as well as all the above.
I've been doing this. She loves it. And it's been helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs