U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,994,261 times

Advertisements

My family has planned a quick weekend getaway camping trip. We've even talked ourselves into bringing our three dogs. We have a 1, 4, and 10 year old pitbulls. All will be confined to leash or cable tie-out while supervised at the camp site, leashed during hikes, and in the tent at night.

I am nervous about how much work it will take to get normal things done like using the restroom, bike riding, and cooking with them there, but we have to start somewhere. I am bringing 3 crates so that if it becomes too much, we can get a much needed break occasionally. Hubby and I will take turns, and our daughter is 8, so she can lend a hand also. Are we crazy for doing this?

I am looking for some experienced furkid camping tips for people with high energy dogs. We have no pull harnesses and heavy duty tie out- no chance of escape

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times
If they are well trained then you will have a blast. Commands like settle, quiet, sit, down, stay are really important with three big powerful dogs. Smart idea with the crates. They will become a valuable, no worry parking spot. If they lunge and bark at everyone then you may be asked to leave the campground even if they are secured.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM

They won't bark at people, but will happily wag their tails til their butts fall off. That doesn't mean that a passerby won't take offense to the big scary pibbles, though.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
They won't bark at people, but will happily wag their tails til their butts fall off. That doesn't mean that a passerby won't take offense to the big scary pibbles, though.
Well, you can't help that. But most knowledgeable people will see the wagging tails and realize their friendly. Not being barkers is a big plus. That can really bug people while camping because of how the sound carries and is non-stop with some dogs.

Our dogs love to camp for the hiking. They aren't really friendly so don't want to meet anyone or their dogs. They are quiet and do well in a pen as they have no interest in escaping. Have to tell people not to pet them though and warn them off from letting their dogs greet because ours hate strange dogs. We've had tremendously good luck camping with other dogs. Most people who leave them loose are pretty responsible. The worst ones are the ones with dogs on tie out who let them lung and bark at people. I've heard some horror stories of attacks when the dogs get loose.

Good for you for giving it a try. Likely your dogs will have a blast. Try to precondition them with long walks and hikes. I know some people who took couch potatoes hiking and then had problems with the dogs paws as they are not used to walking on rocks and rough surfaces. City dogs.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Well, you can't help that. But most knowledgeable people will see the wagging tails and realize their friendly. Not being barkers is a big plus. That can really bug people while camping because of how the sound carries and is non-stop with some dogs.

Our dogs love to camp for the hiking. They aren't really friendly so don't want to meet anyone or their dogs. They are quiet and do well in a pen as they have no interest in escaping. Have to tell people not to pet them though and warn them off from letting their dogs greet because ours hate strange dogs. We've had tremendously good luck camping with other dogs. Most people who leave them loose are pretty responsible. The worst ones are the ones with dogs on tie out who let them lung and bark at people. I've heard some horror stories of attacks when the dogs get loose.

Good for you for giving it a try. Likely your dogs will have a blast. Try to precondition them with long walks and hikes. I know some people who took couch potatoes hiking and then had problems with the dogs paws as they are not used to walking on rocks and rough surfaces. City dogs.
I hope we don't have an issue with loose dogs. Mine seem ok with other dogs but then again, I am always responsible in HOW they meet other dogs. The park mandates people keep their dogs restrained, so i hope they do so.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,125,099 times
Just one word of advice if your dogs aren't used to lying on the ground outside: geta couple of dollar store carpets for them, or take some old blankets for them. My brother's spoiled rotten lab cried until they let her into their tent so she had a soft place to lie down (rolls eyes) lol

Have fun!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I hope we don't have an issue with loose dogs. Mine seem ok with other dogs but then again, I am always responsible in HOW they meet other dogs. The park mandates people keep their dogs restrained, so i hope they do so.
Unfortunately lots of people feel the rules aren't for them. Most dogs know the words "No" so if I tell the owners that my dogs aren't friendly and they don't call them back (usually they say, oh he is friendly and just wants to play) I will get out in front and tell the dog "No" loudly and sternly and often that works.

Unfortunately my girl looks friendly (her eye sight is bad and she knows I don't want her to fight so she displays no unfriendliness until the dog jumps her). With pits you shouldn't have that problem because people will probably believe you if you warn them off. But you also have the problem of not wanting people to be scared of them because they are pits. Something like "Sorry, we don't allow the dogs to greet" is probably your best bet. That way you aren't saying they are dangerous but are also telling people to respect their boundaries.

I doubt you will have problems. As I said before we've had tremendous luck with camping dogs. Most off leash ones have been well behaved and mind their own business. The problematic ones are the ones tied at the site who are lunging and barking. I hate to think what happens if they get loose and it is scary to walk by them. My girl will fight back but my little boy gets scared and tries to run away but can't because he is on leash. He has gotten attacked and bit a few times by dogs running out of a camper or away from their owners. I then risk getting bit by trying to kick the dog away.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM

169 posts, read 487,731 times
We camp often with our 2 labs. They love it even though they have to be on leashes which they are not at home. As soon as we hook up our camper they come running to the truck. All campgrounds require that all dogs are on leads but every now and then you get the person who does not follow the rules. I try to steer clear of any unleashed dogs and our girls are good with a "leave it" when it comes to other dogs. I also do not like to let our dogs "meet" other dogs because they tend to get excited. They have their own mats for ouside and their beds for inside the camper. For outside the camper to tie them I use a 15 ft. cotton leash and tie it to the picnic table. They are not pullers and they tend to stay right with us. For their walks to do their business I use a regular size leash. You will find that most campers have dogs. That is one of the main reasons that people go camping because they can take their dogs with them. Have fun and I am sure your dogs will enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or