Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times

Advertisements

Lots of great information and now I don't know if I should try diet or just treat the skin first. I guess the skin would be quicker to see results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Would try to avoid food (and treats) w/ corn, soy or wheat - even if there was no problem in the past, sometimes there can be later. Not sure if it's been sugg'd but what about chemicals on the lawn, could they be causing a problem? Also, use a mild detergent and dont overbathe the dog as than can cause their skin to dry out (and itch them).

Some dogs are even allergic to chicken, salmon etc - weird but true. Just another thought.

PS Am vaguely remembering that the dark patches on the skin can be connected w/ a yeast / staph infection and selson blue shampoo can help, not sure why though

PPS Just found the link http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/6g...its-chest.html (not sure if it's allowable to post it but if it gets deleted, just google 'yeast or staph infection and black skin in dogs'

Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Lots of great information and now I don't know if I should try diet or just treat the skin first. I guess the skin would be quicker to see results.
Is she licking/chewing her feet?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Skin is a long slog, often no easy answers.

Often the owner waits too long or only goes to the vet when they HAVE TO or it gets bloody or whatever....and doesn't embark on a year round effort. You didn't mention steroids which is a significant omission, so maybe that's relevant or you just omitted that? Pretty much EVERY VET I know would prescribe a type of steroid or antihisamine for something like this if they thought it was allergy AFTER the course of A/B if it could wait...as a preventative to keep the condition to escalating to needing an A/B because of open sores.

Anti fungal? Did a skin culture show sensitivity to that?

That does not sound like food allergy to me - if the bumps are like pimples. If the bumps are like HIVES, perhaps. Of course I'm only going by generalities it could totally be diet, I guess. But normally you don't get antibiotics for a big swollen hive/histamine type bump so I'm assuming they are bloody and more pimply?

Yes, does he lick his paws/arms?

What you describe is fairly typical in terms of challenges with that set of symptoms. Have you ever just kept him OFF GRASS?

Not every antibiotic kills every bacteria there are 4 classes. That's why they do a culture to grow it and see what it responds to. Same with pneumonia they get material from the lung to culture via lavage before the patient dies because sometimes the antibiotic/s they chose only PARTILLY work and there remains a low grade level afterwards that needs a different antibiotic or combo.

Without seeing, it's hard to guess. A/B doesn't fix classic food allergy only the side effects from the allergy so if the bumps/bloody get better that's not the allergy, they are healing. I never saw an A/B "fix" allergy or even do anything for hives.

So I guess I'm thinking it's not food allergy, per se since you said she's more normal on A/B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post

PS Am vaguely remembering that the dark patches on the skin can be connected w/ a yeast / staph infection and selson blue shampoo can help, not sure why though

PPS Just found the link http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/6g...its-chest.html (not sure if it's allowable to post it but if it gets deleted, just google 'yeast or staph infection and black skin in dogs'
Right. YEAST. That was true for my dog who didn't have allergies but long term neglect that went too far. After months of antibiotics and mite tx, we cleared the final areas up once we "found" the yeast - with Malaseb. Under veterinarian's care.

You must be very careful with that mite + antibiotic treatment because it lowers the resistance/immune system and can create other medical problems. When that happened to us, I regretted taking an aggressive "let's make him perfect" approach too much too soon. In our case it caused a Helicobacter Pylori bacteria to become aggressive/opportunistic and cause a bleeding ulcer and IBD that caused megaesophagus. I would have preferred mange/skin.

DURING treatment: (where my hand is there's fur growing back where it was black. The pink is yeasty areas that we didn't realize because I was inadvertently covering it up with too many cleanings with normal medicated shampoos)

After, cured:

My dog came to me all messed up so we had years of mess to clear up and really didn't expect the black leathery skin to regrow hair but it did. He only had the red bumps only on top of his head, the sterotypical place for the mites/mange.

I would try Malaseb treatments to see if it's yeasty and responds- shampoo + spray or pads if your vet agrees. It's relatively benign. The bumps? may be something else. I would try a different class antibiotic OR try and really get a good scraping for mite testing if it really is intolerable and you have to find a fix.

Go SLOW. Skin is not the worst thing compared to other adverse reactions ...especially in your case. NOT TOO MANY MEDS at once and give him long breaks in between.

I really BELIEVE in BOOSTING the dog's immune system versus tough medications like insecticides but that's easier said than done and I don't know that mites can ever be cured that way.

I would ADD a good probiotic - most vets are using FortiFlora I think. And perhaps a complete change of diet to the most clean food you can find. Of course, raw meaty bones is always an option but not everyone is suited to take that on. If you buy chicken buy organic. Members here have reported allergies to grocery type brand chicken but not organic

When I fed my OTHER food allergic Bulldog Raw Bones and Meat diet it only subsided his flair ups pretty well but did not CURE the condition and environmental allergies.

It COULD be ONE SIMPLE THING. FLEA BITES???? It sounds like that, too, if it's pimply-ish.

All fragrances, carpets...carpets with even mites embedded in there, Febreeze, even the laundry soap changed to, dryer sheets, .... Get her her own bed and keep it spotless with vinegar rinses in the washer after you wash the bedding and pick a very SIMPLE bedding like a waterproof pad that can't soak in the allergens. In a crate if you have to.

I would get her OUT of the beds.

I have a client who's Boxer ONLY itches/turns red on his CARPET anywhere in the house, worse where he mostly lives when the guy's at work, tho - the "game room". . If he stays at a friend's with a house of tile, he's fine. HOWEVER, he has another dog that has urinated on that room's carpet and he only spot cleans it with a Bissel so that urine is getting all over the allergic dog! I put him in the pool every day pretty much.

Lastly, my allergic dog was allergic to the hypoallergenic food ZD because while the protein chicken is HYDROLIZED (lake baby formula) the starch was not and he had starch allergies. I spoke to the chemist at Hills about it.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-22-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Is she licking/chewing her feet?
Not her feet, no. She chews where she itches, where she can reach. Mostly her belly and back.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Attachment 119853

Attachment 119854

here are pics of her back and belly. The belly looks red in this picture, but it's really more dark than that. (she wasn't cooperating for pictures). On her back you can see some spots - small ones, where she has small pimples - they are hairless but the hair grows back once the pimples are gone.

Last edited by kab0906; 02-18-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
It looks like allergies or mild mites. The allergies could be anything.

For example, if he is getting bitten by fleas and he's allergic to fleas, it could make him itch all over. Is he on a monthly flea medication? Revolution kills fleas and mites. Like I said, it's difficult to do a skin test for mites so you can't really rule that out unless you treat for it.

You haven't mentioned steroid treatment. If it's an environmental allergy---like my dogs ragweed allergy---it might not go away until you have given antihistamines and steroids. You're just thinking laundry soap when he could be allergic to anything people are allergic too also.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
I am a gardener by trade and also a pet owner, this time of the year I often find that most of my lawns have a fine mold on patches of the grass and since dogs belly's are close to the ground and exposed to the dew on the grass, as I have often found with one of my dogs that had a low belly, her belly would get wet from walking in the grass. Maybe a doggy T shirt would keep the allergin from getting on the dogs abdomen.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
I think yu have couple issue going on
the dark sin and fold issue sounds and looks fungal, my bet would be yeast
unfroutnatly with dogs prone to yeast infections topical creams edications ect will only help temporarily unless the underlying caue if found. generaly yeast infections are exhasperated and will keep returning when theres an underlying allergy.

the bumps/spts are ome kind of dermitis. from an allergy most likely given location, grass, fleas, ants or skin mites.
and the first 3 are theones that seem most likey.

hes what I would do.

1: check her food switch t a food with NO corn soy or wheet...if you can go grain free even better, and choose lamb, venison, duck, salmon ect... go for a limied ingredient diet. lamb and rice, duck and sweet potatoe ect...(chickens a common allergen) a foodallergy WOULD exhasperate a yeast issue.

2: add a good probiotic..., either in the form of a good no sugar added plain yogurt, or a human grade acedopholis capsule.

3: treat the dark skin spots wth a 50% Listerine 50% witch Hazel, gently whipe down with the mixture once a day for the first wee then cut back to ust a few times a week from then on...this will hep treat ay fungal infection gently.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
for the allergy issues theres unfrotunatly not as much thatcan be done without nowng the exact allergy.
keep up on flea/tck preventative eand useone with a REPELLANT (ie k9 advantix) and spray the yard with a permethrin based spray to rid of the bugs. a perethrin based dip or ivermectin treatment would get rid of mites...

if its a grassallergy or otherwise contact allergy all you can do is try to reduce contact, given its her back too it looks more like bug buts than grass/pollen...if shes itchy bathingin an oatmeal based shampoo will help too.

getting her on a good healthy diet will usuay help even environmental allergies..god food boosts the immune syste, the strongerthe immune syste the less sever dermal allergies tend to be,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs