U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with returning her if she wasn't a good fit. Hopefully the new knowledge will help her find the right home. In the wrong hands someone could have tried to force kids on her and then have her put to sleep for aggression so you may have done her a favor if the shelter still considers her adoptable.

You might want to try fostering for the shelter or a rescue. That way you can observe a dog in your home environment and work on training and figuring out the right home for the dog. If you should come across the perfect dog for you in the process then that would be the one to adopt. In the mean time you would be helping some dogs recover from illness, surgery or just shelter stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 PM

74 posts, read 114,356 times
Yea you should feel guilty. I was gonna ask if you even tried to work on the problem, but I already know the answer because you didn't have the dog long enough for that. So where is the dog now, put down?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 PM

74 posts, read 114,356 times
The responsible thing to do would be either training or find a good permanent home for him, not take him back to the shelter where he will most likely be put down.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,003,463 times
I think you did. We had to endure giving up two 30 pound dogs we had rescued from a shelter that we had had for six years. We moved to a new home and for reasons that elude me one decided to attack the other dog and it was a fight to the death if I hadn't pulled them apart. The odd thing is that the formerly submissive one is the one who tried to kill the more dominant one. Both were spayed females.

We were going to put them down but the local vet had access to a no-kill shelter in a nearby home. We bid them goodbye although it broke our hearts. But it had to be done.

A few days later we adopted a sweet 10 pound male neutered dog who is simply wonderful and has no aggressive behavior. He is spoiled rotten and sleeps under the covers with us. But he doesn't pose a problem to us or anyone else.

Unless one can be certain that a dog won't be aggressive to others they shouldn't have them. I was nearly attacked by a pit bull one time and I greatly feared for my life.

Had a good friend who had an older female pit bull and I told him that those things were not safe. He said she had never caused any problems. She eventually died and he got another. One day this dog came over and chomped down on his service boot for no apparent reason and that ended that illusion. He took the dog outside and killed it. He didn't want it attacking his two year old daughter. He now believes that pit bulls are simply too dangerous to own.

You do what you have to do. If a dog is unpredictable and aggressive, I wouldn't keep it. Get one without aggressive tendencies and they are out there. You don't want a dog with mental issues or behavior you cannot control. It just isn't worth it.

Sleep soundly and hope you find another who behaves himself.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 AM

429 posts, read 782,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I think you did. We had to endure giving up two 30 pound dogs we had rescued from a shelter that we had had for six years. We moved to a new home and for reasons that elude me one decided to attack the other dog and it was a fight to the death if I hadn't pulled them apart. The odd thing is that the formerly submissive one is the one who tried to kill the more dominant one. Both were spayed females.

We were going to put them down but the local vet had access to a no-kill shelter in a nearby home. We bid them goodbye although it broke our hearts. But it had to be done.

A few days later we adopted a sweet 10 pound male neutered dog who is simply wonderful and has no aggressive behavior. He is spoiled rotten and sleeps under the covers with us. But he doesn't pose a problem to us or anyone else.

Unless one can be certain that a dog won't be aggressive to others they shouldn't have them. I was nearly attacked by a pit bull one time and I greatly feared for my life.

Had a good friend who had an older female pit bull and I told him that those things were not safe.

You were going to put both your dogs down because one of them attacked and tried to kill the other? Really? Cause seems real logical (sarcasam). You were going to kill a perfectly healty 6 yr old dog because another dog attacked it and it defended its self against the attack.
Also there is a HUGE differene between dog to human aggression vs dog to dog aggresion. Which i highly doubt a healthy formely submissive dog suddenly became aggresive over night. You said you were in a new home, moving and change can be very stressful on an animal. It can cause them to become scared and unsure of their saftey. In a new unfamilar place. So off to the vet you take them to be put killed. Did you by chance have the vet do a physical exam before you ordered there deaths? Maybe have some bloowork done? Is it possible that maybe the dog had become injured or ill and that is what caused it to attack? From the sounds of your post i doubt you did.

Sorry if this seems harsh or mean but honestly what you did or tried to do was harsh and mean

"those things" ? ..... things? ...... Im not gonna even waste another second to respond to that or the rest of that story.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 AM

429 posts, read 782,839 times
" So the alternative would have been to leave her in a kennel 4-5 times a year for a week at a time"

Cause ^^^ that ^^^ would be so much worse than being dead? or living in a kennel for how many weeks or months waiting and hoping to get adopted?

Truthfully the dog would be in a different home then yours where it would recieve the proper training and had someone that knew how to deal with its issue (and that is not meant in a mean way, most people myself included do not know how to work with or train a dog with dog to human aggresion issue). But taking it back to the shelter ways more than likely a death sentence. The dog has now been labled as dog to human (really it would be dog to child) aggresion. Im not saying you should keep the dog for the rest of its life but surely volunteering at a shelter you know the fate of dogs labled "aggresive" Its too bad you didnt try to find the dog a rescue or someone with exoerience with aggresive dogs to take the dog in instead of taking it back to the shelter . Its understandable that not everyone wants to put the time and effort into a dog that has issues or problems and i respect that people admit it, its much better to admit it than someone who just has the dog killed or lies about the dogs issues and dump it an unsuspecting person. its just to bad u took him back to the shelter instead of trying to find an alteritive so his life would be spared.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times
OP, I think you did the right thing. The sad thing about this is that even if a childless couple adopts her, they really can't take her on walks easily and need to make sure she doesn't get out of a fenced yard. This dog is a danger to any child anywhere near it. They can't take it to a dogpark or a park unless there are absolutely NO children around and none show up. They will have to be careful if they walk the dog that no children are anywhere near them at anytime. This is very sad for the dog, it will be harder to place it.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 AM

161 posts, read 135,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post

Had a good friend who had an older female pit bull and I told him that those things were not safe. He said she had never caused any problems. She eventually died and he got another. One day this dog came over and chomped down on his service boot for no apparent reason and that ended that illusion. He took the dog outside and killed it. He didn't want it attacking his two year old daughter. He now believes that pit bulls are simply too dangerous to own.

You do what you have to do. If a dog is unpredictable and aggressive, I wouldn't keep it. Get one without aggressive tendencies and they are out there. You don't want a dog with mental issues or behavior you cannot control. It just isn't worth it.

Sleep soundly and hope you find another who behaves himself.

I can understand if an owner cant handle 2 females that fight and would rehome 1, but why would you put them down? I have 2 female Cane Corso that can get snarky and have had a full blown fight. It would never cross my mind to have them put down. I manage them and never leave them alone together. Like another poster mentioned, DA does not = HA.

Believing all pit bulls are dangerous because 1 dog chomped down on a boot is pretty silly.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 AM

161 posts, read 135,197 times
OP, I think you did the right thing also. If you couldn't handle the dog's issue's, you had no choice but to return her.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuFromNJ View Post
The responsible thing to do would be either training or find a good permanent home for him, not take him back to the shelter where he will most likely be put down.
Oh RIGHT!

Because this guy, who is already afraid of dogs, has NO experience, no knowledge, no contacts, no ANYTHING is perfectly equipped to take on all that responsibility that the PROFESSIONALS in the SHELTER couldn't do.

Makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs