Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,959,445 times

Advertisements

If you give him to the rescue, they will simply put him down. It would be far kinder to have him put down at your own vet. I see no reason to give away your female Boxer assuming she normally behaves well. The fact that she attacked your other dog does NOT mean she is likely to attack a child. That is a common misconception (I still wouldn't leave her, or any dog, unsupervised with the child).

I know you are very stressed but I think you are still making the right decision (put down the 13 year old, keep the 10 year old). I can't understand your husband's wish to give both dogs away, that plan doesn't make any sense.

And shame on the people harassing and criticizing you for the IBD treatment. You followed the advice of your vet, you did nothing wrong. Let's be realistic, a 13 year old large breed dog is at the end of their life, healthy or not. It is not realistic for most people to spend thousands and a lot of time caring for an extremely elderly and sick dog, or to expect a 13 year old chronically ill dog to recover. You've done the best you could for your dog, and it is time to end his suffering. There should be no shame or guilt in that, whatever people try to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 PM

429 posts, read 969,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
If you give him to the rescue, they will simply put him down. It would be far kinder to have him put down at your own vet. I see no reason to give away your female Boxer assuming she normally behaves well. The fact that she attacked your other dog does NOT mean she is likely to attack a child. That is a common misconception (I still wouldn't leave her, or any dog, unsupervised with the child).

I know you are very stressed but I think you are still making the right decision (put down the 13 year old, keep the 10 year old). I can't understand your husband's wish to give both dogs away, that plan doesn't make any sense.

And shame on the people harassing and criticizing you for the IBD treatment. You followed the advice of your vet, you did nothing wrong. Let's be realistic, a 13 year old large breed dog is at the end of their life, healthy or not. It is not realistic for most people to spend thousands and a lot of time caring for an extremely elderly and sick dog, or to expect a 13 year old chronically ill dog to recover. You've done the best you could for your dog, and it is time to end his suffering. There should be no shame or guilt in that, whatever people try to tell you.

I hope you werent refering to my message. My intent was in no way to critizize the OP or imply there was anything she did wrong not even in the least bit was i trying to do that. Perhaps it was an inapproriate time/thread to post what i did. I also was not saying she should go the route of surgery either. i should have been more clear of that.
If i offended tho OP please kow that was not my intent.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM

639 posts, read 1,959,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
I hope you werent refering to my message. My intent was in no way to critizize the OP or imply there was anything she did wrong not even in the least bit was i trying to do that. Perhaps it was an inapproriate time/thread to post what i did. I also was not saying she should go the route of surgery either. i should have been more clear of that.
If i offended tho OP please kow that was not my intent.
There was another person in the thread who yelled at and criticized the OP.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,847,063 times
Quote:
The criticism is of the husband wanting to send the dog(s) away and not euth compassionately.

The OP said there was an ULCER. The IBD is a side effect. I guess you didn't read my post thoroughly.

You can't tell from the original post that they followed the advise of the vet. Ask ANY VET or human doctor. The condition of treating an ulcer is very complex and demanding and MOST PEOPLE even HUMANS with the protocol are non compliant. Carafate changes your entire life. You cannot give any water, food or meds anywhere TWO HOURS AROUND the time of the Carafate.

This means that you have to get up at 4 am, take your Carafate then wait until like, 6 am before you can drink, eat or take your antibiotics. And it's several times a day not ONCE. THAT'S if you're lucky enough to be able to swallow it and keep it down.

Inexperienced vets make mistakes all the time. My dog's junior vet was prescribing Pepcid and never even thought of an ulcer. When I got my real vet to take over when he got megaesophagus from violent vomiting (his boss) he said so. And he had only seen megaesophagus 5 times over his 45 year career.

My dog's Internist also prescribed the WRONG protocol after the scope. A single (wrong class) antibiotic instead of quadruple therapy as the entire WORLD knew was the right treatment, thanks to Dr Marshall's discovery about Helicobacter Pylori and gastric ulcers. I didn't even OWN a computer until that happened and found out how to treat gastric ulcers properly.

When it was time to euth my dog I insisted the younger one do it when my vet offered to do it. I wanted HIM TO REMEMBER it was HIS error. He was crying tears and apologizing to Rocky for his mistake when he inserted the needle.

Sometimes you have to be OBJECTIVE and not tell everyone what the internet wants to hear.

You don't think I FELT GUILTY not getting my dog the help he needed soon enough? His ulcer was untreatable at that point. He couldn't swallow/eat anymore and was battling cyclic vomiting that no antiemetic drugs could help. There's a thing in the brain that causes that type of vomiting.

My post was meant to address the vague original posting "facts" that were given in the hope that another person on Google would hit on City Data as is usually the case, and help another dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs