U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM

324 posts, read 772,082 times

Advertisements

My dog has been diagnosed with "anxiety" and It was suggested by a trainer that I consider meds. I don't want to put him on traditional medications but I was open to the idea of homeopathic meds. I had my first appt and he concurred with the diagnosis and recommended a homeopathic treatment of "belladona pellets". Anyone have any thoughts or any success stories going this route. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,494,166 times
I've had really good luck with homeopathic treatments for my dogs. I have used just about all the homeopet remedies at one time or another for my dogs and foster dogs. You will be amazed how well it work. Because of the success I had with the dogs I started using homeopathic on myself and have had good luck with that also.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,576,448 times
Our vets are holistic and whenever possible treat our dogs homeopathically and/or herbally with great success.

I would also look into the Bach Flower Remedies for dogs, expecially Rescue Remedy (always part of my canine first aid kit). Bach Animals, Rescue Remedy Pets - Information on Bach Flower Remedies

Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Not to avoid your question and I'm sure there's more to the story so maybe nothing I'm going to say is helpful so sorry if that's the case.

But did he have a thyroid test? It should be a FULL PANEL, not the routine screening.

We have to make sure we don't rule out a real solution to FIX the problem not just medicate it. Dogs don't get anxiety unless they're born with something physical out of balance or or get a disease like parvo or distemper etc OR something environmental with their living conditions/owners took over.

Sometimes the answer is with the human - dogs are a mirror feeding back what they feel around them - or what's lacking like leadership. So even though you're willing to look for a chemical cure I would want to be sure that a cause is ruled out and then that leaves behavior/environment.

I walk two Boxers and the female is WAY WAY WAY too anxious and powerfully paranoid. I really have trouble doing anything for her because she MIGHT have a physical condition - but I know she DEFINITELY has a weak energy overly sensitive owner who doesn't know how to help her.

Just tensing up on the leash is enough to trigger anxiety. (like when you see someone approach and you anticipate an episode).

The fact that a "trainer" suggested meds makes me wonder.

WHO made this "diagnosis" a vet or this trainer and why didn't the VET suggest meds.

I'd look for a BEHAVIORIST. Try to get to the root of the problem versus covering up the problem with training. They're two different things.

Here's an example of a dog with extreme (fearful) anxiety (not aggressive or dominant anxiety)...that was diagnosed as a mixture of "probably" having had a a puppy illness that caused his initial problems and how they were addressed in a slow methodical manner that was a long haul but it worked.

Good luck, I'm sure it's stressful and you being stressed doesn't help calm HIM. That being said sometimes solutions are not in our grasp - like a mystery.

Season 5 Ep 17 Part 1 (there are several parts to this episode)

Dog Whisperer S5 Epi 17 part 1 - YouTube

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-23-2013 at 04:03 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,559,815 times
I concur with RWS. Then if the cause of the anxiety is found to be internal (genetic or hard wired) then you can consider meds. We had a VERY anxious dog for 14 years. We tried EVERYTHING, including Bach's Flower Essences. I bought every essence that is used for anxiety, fear, panic, confidence, etc. they were useless.

Then we tried Thundershirt, a behaviorist (at Patricia McConnell's clinic in Madison, WI); homeopathic meds, Chinese medicine, acupuncture, massage, melatonin, and I can't remember what else.

We weren't depressed or anxious. We have a happy and laid back household. We couldn't figure it out. Plus, he was a very healthy boy. We were having full wellness exams twice a year.

Finally, when he was 8 years old and still anxious so much of the time, our HOLISTIC vet decided enough was enough and suggested Xanax (alprazolam).

The Xanax worked.

Now, before you decide that is poison, let me assure you, it is not. And dogs do not become addicted like humans can. With the proper dosage, our dog just acted normal and happy, not drugged and zoned out. I wish we had gone that route years earlier.

So try all the herbs and other holistic methods, but please do not resist a med like alprazolam if they don't do the job.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,860,570 times
What are the consequences for unusual behavior = attention
The more it is expressed the more attention.
Kids and dogs do the same things .
As long as it keeps on working the character is not going to change.
I have a little dog ,call it a lap dog, but I am training him that it is a privilege and not a right. I bring him on my lap when I want him on my lap not when he want's on my lap.
He does not get treats if he does not preform , hence , he is learning very fast the disciplines of my house hold.
My dogs share the same yard with the geese and chickens and know not to chase them though it is in their nature to do so.
By requiring a disciplines, it is like a job most dogs are bread to perform, giving them purpose.
By putting a back pack on an anxious German shepherd he calmed down during walks ,I am told.
Not saying it's your dog's problem , but from the discussion of several failed attempts to correct and limited information , it's Just My POV.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Look, if the OP's dog is suffering from real anxiety, NO amount of operant conditioning or behavioral therapy is likely going to work. I'm not just saying this because we had a very anxious dog and tried everything under the sun to fix him. I am also saying it because a few years ago, I also developed a very serious case of generalized anxiety disorder. I cannot begin to tell you how awful it is, how paralyzing it is, and how impossible it is to fix an anxious brain without medication -- mainly because you have to use the same brain to do it! It's like repairing a broken car engine with broken tools.

I came to understand more than ever just what our Jimmy was going through, because I was feeling the same way he was. I got medical help after hypnosis, acupuncture, herbs and meditation did absolutely nothing for me. I got meds. I was on them for two years and am now completely cured and off all medications.

Medication wouldn't be my first choice for treatment, but I would say if you try a few things that do not work, by all means, give up on any New Age protocols and get medication. It isn't evil, it isn't dangerous, and it works.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 PM

324 posts, read 772,082 times
I appreciate input thus far. I have gone thru no less than 4 separate trainers, spent well over $2000 and have seen no change. I am aware that my reaction can influence him and I have made an attempt to always be calm- no pulling on leash etcc... His issue is he is on edge- jumps at everything, every sound. Some dogs he growls and lunges at other dogs he's perfect. No human aggression issue- very sweet and loving. Was in day care during puppyhood and adult hood and then "something" happened and a switch flipped. He's been tested and am quite frankly I'm pulling at straws. He sits and whines. Oftentimes he doesn't want to walk- he drops to the floor and refuses to move. How many dogs don't want to go for a walk. But I continue to try with him and will look at all avenues.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Cranky, don't laugh, but you could try an animal communicator. You might be pleasantly surprised at the out one of the session. We did it a few times, and any skepticism I had is gone. I feel for you. It's so hard seeing anyone you love, animal or human, being miserable. Your dog probably feels very confused, too. Somewhere deep down, he knows something isn't right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs