Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

Best Dog Escape - Compilation Video - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
LOL, the beagle was quite creative and based on some of the patches my guess it wasn't his first time. I'm glad I don't have a climber.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL, the beagle was quite creative and based on some of the patches my guess it wasn't his first time. I'm glad I don't have a climber.
The climbers were flat out amazing. In all my years I have never seen a dog do something even close to that.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
Hahahah!! I can add to that! This is our Teddy at 10 weeks!! And now I'm wondering if he will ever attempt to climb the rail fence with chainlink backing that's going in next week! Uh-ohhh!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...94014659784061

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Hahahah!! Ican add to that! This is our Teddy at 10 weeks!!

Too funny!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Too funny!
That pup is SUCH a hoot. He also takes flying leaps from one piece of furniture to another, But do you think he will climb into the Jeep to go for a ride? No! He's over 45 pounds now and I am still lifting him into the Jeep!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,582,849 times
My late Jazz was an escape artist but would do so only to go find me if I left. At 12 weeks and having owned her only a couple days she went over a 6 ft fence to try to find me when I left! And no she was not destructive nor did she bark non stop when I left so it was not like separation anxiety disorder, she just felt if I went some place she should come too. She was very attached to me and probably did not want to miss out on any fun she thought I might be having I was able to solve the issue by creating an enclosed pen with a top that she could not move at all so my dog door opened into it so she could go outside to pee if I was gone. They all started viewing that as just that their own private bathroom and we would come in from a walk and they would rush over to the pet door and go out to pee or poop. I was able to open the side of the enclosure so I could clean it out and it was only about a 4X4 ft area but it worked great and she never escaped from my home but escape was still an issue when we would go visit my parents.If I left their house she had to be crated or left in a closed room where she just laid own and slept but if I left her out even with my parents home ..zoom she was out the pet door and over the fence and if she could not find me she would go visit my nephews who lived a few houses away as next to me she thought those little boys were the best things around. She also knew that often when I walked some place from their house it was over to my brothers so that was the first place to look for me too.

A thing that totally amazes me is the dog park we go to has a very low fence and just about any dog can jump it. Well then you have my two who do agility and jump hurdles so you would think they would view that fence as nothing to get over. Yet if I go get something out of the car they just stand and watch and never attempt to go over.When they are near it and a dog does go over it as some do it to get out some do it to get in, my two have a look of total amazement on their face like how did he do that? Don't get me wrong as I am not complaining as I love the fact that they do respect a barrier but it is amusing that the two dogs that do hurdles and climb A-frames and dog walks are the two that are amazed by dogs jumping low fences.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Hahahah!! I can add to that! This is our Teddy at 10 weeks!! And now I'm wondering if he will ever attempt to climb the rail fence with chainlink backing that's going in next week! Uh-ohhh!

Tina how much of your property have you decided to fence in? and what kind of fence? ''We just finished our 7ft deer fence on three sides and really nice wooded fence at the front-part visible from the street. it is so nice to be able to just open the door and let the dogs out to pee. I sometimes throw a ball for Toby to get some exercise before the girls come home to walk them. But Lucy, the old lady just does her business and wants to come back in.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM

NK, we're doing 600-ft of round rail fence, backed with chainlink. It will encompass 3/4 acre, almost all of the really landscaped part out back, and I'm having five 6-ft wide gates put in. I tried to design the layout to have the least impact on my mowing. The round rail lasts a lot longer than split rail and is made from pressure treated wood. It's just 4-ft tall, but I do think it will be sufficient. It's the same kind of fence as we have at the dog park. Heck, it had better be for what it's costing!

We will still take the dogs out on leashes early morning and after dark. I need to be able to see what they're up to out there, and Teddy likes to dig as well as eat everything he sees. I'm not concerned about him digging under the fence, though. Our native soil is so hard and rocky, he'll get too tired out! So he will probably dig in the flower beds.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
That sounds really nice. Our new 7ft black heavy mesthfence has 3 ft at bottom reenforced with black coated wire to keep rabbits out and hopefully to keep any dogs from digging out. Right now our dogs are too prissy to even think of dirtying their delicate feet by digging. heck I can barely get Lucy The Bicon Princess to walk on the grass. She walks around in the 2 ft cleared area between the beds and the grass. She is a hoot to watch.
If we weren't dealing with marauding heard of deer I would have a 4 ft fence. But the mesh is quite inconspicuous and blends in with the woods. I think we will be very happy. Hope yours works well for you.

DH is out of town and he usually walks the dogs at night. It's so great to just open the door and shoo them out for the last pee and not worry about them running away or barking at neighbors. But you are right. It is ridiculously expensive. We built a 28 ft section across the front of the driveway which is 5 ft tall with 2 feet of lattice on top of that and a 6 ft gate with modest trellis on top of that and it cost almost $2700. I don't remember the cost of the deer fence but probably that much as well. What we do to protect our dogs and our gardens!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs