U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM

2,967 posts, read 4,162,345 times

Advertisements

This was just published in the last 20 hours. Thousands more are sick or dead.

Read your labels and do not buy poison from China! It is in latex and plastic dog toys also. (South American products have also killed dogs because they use toxic chems to cure rawhides and jerky)

Jerky treat mystery: Nearly 600 pets dead; still no source, FDA says - NBC News.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM

559 posts, read 1,208,043 times
I think we need to target the Dollar stores, Walmart and BJ's Wholesale and other retailers that allow these treats to be on their shelves. American pet owners are either dumb, out of touch with news and self indulged to continue to buy these treats or for that matter any thing edible from China. We also have to pressure the FDA for clearer labeling so that if our pet food is manufactured with ingredients from China we know that since the Chinese even poisoned Infant formula.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,538,676 times
I wonder when dog owners will realize that rawhide chews, pig ears and jerky treats will almost always be dicey, not to mention choking hazards when chewed down to nubs.

If sales of jerky treats drop far enough, retailers might stop selling them. Market pressure is always the most effective. This story has gotten an awful lot of press. Anyone who continues to buy jerky treats for their pets is just a clueless idiot.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,003,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I wonder when dog owners will realize that rawhide chews, pig ears and jerky treats will almost always be dicey, not to mention choking hazards when chewed down to nubs.

If sales of jerky treats drop far enough, retailers might stop selling them. Market pressure is always the most effective. This story has gotten an awful lot of press. Anyone who continues to buy jerky treats for their pets is just a clueless idiot.
I agree Tina!! This has been in the papers for years now. I don't buy anything for Bella from China.

When I had my lab Ben, he liked to steal my underwear and eat it. Actually the first time is was my DDs underwear. It must have stayed in his stomach for a while before he threw it up because the "Hello Kitty" wasn't very visible by then.

Anywho, one day my BF brought Ben pigs ears. I had never seen them before but they looked like rawhide and I knew that was bad so I called the Vet. My vet is a trip. I told the girl that answered the phone that my BF wanted to give Ben pigs ears and would she ask the Vet if that was ok.

His response........I'd rather you fed him your underwear.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM

13,348 posts, read 7,331,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post

Ha! I love your vet!!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,162,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I

Lmao. I'm sure vets love those $1,000 underwear eating surgeries. My old boss' dog had a penchant for her husbands ripe underwear, and her vet surgically removed more than 1 pair

Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM

9,188 posts, read 11,660,568 times
I actually found the topic title to be a grave disservice to pet owners.

The FDA releases a report each year outlining the claims of illness/deaths related to these treats. There are over 45 different brands from the big name "bad treats" all the way to "natural Made in USA" treats. Since China accounts for over 90% of the jerky pet treats in the USA, they naturally will also account for 80% of the complaints. The FDA reports pretty much validates the ratio. However, so many non-China treats are also represented in smaller quantities (proportionate to their market share), that limiting the warning to just "China" give a false sense of security that all others are safe.

The fact that the warning has been expanded to include ALL jerky treats from chicken to sweet potatoes, is an indication that something in the manufacturing (from ingredients to additives) to the packaging (preservative ingredient and/or interaction) to the Quality Control (irradiation, nitrogen injection, absorption packs) all the way to combination with normal pet products (medications, foods, shampoos) could all be suspect as a cause.

I strongly suggest that people cease using products that are or associated with the jerky treat industry, both foreign and domestic, until the cause is identified. We have all experience harmful interaction in human and pet foods where the initial suspect turned out not to be origin based but rather process based. Since the FDA is only mentioning China because they account for the majority, does not mean they are saying domestic jerky treats are not also causing illnesses and deaths.

You are all free to decide for yourself, but in the absence of any fact that this is limited to only Chinese manufacture or sourced treats, I for one will abstain from giving ANY jerky treat to my dog, period!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 PM

429 posts, read 782,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I actually found the topic title to be a grave disservice to pet owners.

The FDA releases a report each year outlining the claims of illness/deaths related to these treats. There are over 45 different brands from the big name "bad treats" all the way to "natural Made in USA" treats. Since China accounts for over 90% of the jerky pet treats in the USA, they naturally will also account for 80% of the complaints. The FDA reports pretty much validates the ratio. However, so many non-China treats are also represented in smaller quantities (proportionate to their market share), that limiting the warning to just "China" give a false sense of security that all others are safe.

The fact that the warning has been expanded to include ALL jerky treats from chicken to sweet potatoes, is an indication that something in the manufacturing (from ingredients to additives) to the packaging (preservative ingredient and/or interaction) to the Quality Control (irradiation, nitrogen injection, absorption packs) all the way to combination with normal pet products (medications, foods, shampoos) could all be suspect as a cause.

I strongly suggest that people cease using products that are or associated with the jerky treat industry, both foreign and domestic, until the cause is identified. We have all experience harmful interaction in human and pet foods where the initial suspect turned out not to be origin based but rather process based. Since the FDA is only mentioning China because they account for the majority, does not mean they are saying domestic jerky treats are not also causing illnesses and deaths.

You are all free to decide for yourself, but in the absence of any fact that this is limited to only Chinese manufacture or sourced treats, I for one will abstain from giving ANY jerky treat to my dog, period!

While i totally agree that people need to read lables and stop feeding their animals food and treats not made in the USA or Canada. And it is terrible that pets have died and become ill from eating jerky treats i also think that ssome of this is being blown out of proportion and going to cause panic for many many pet owners. Im not trying to down play what has happend to the poor dos that have become ill or even worse (and heartbreaking) died. But the figures that the FDA has shared that almost 600 (ive also read almost 500) dogs have passed away and 3000-4000 have become ill. Those totals are an accumulitve total from the last 7 years. also you have to keep in mind that in the year 2012 the number of household pet dogs was estimated to be at nearly 70,000,000.You also need to keep in mind the number of jerky treats sold each year and how many dogs eat those jerky treats that havent been effected.
Compare these numbers (which is the total number in the last 7yrs) to the food recalls of 2007 where it was estimated that 3900 pets dies and 12000 became ill in less than a years time.
Im not saying that there isnt anything wrong with jerky treats and i DO think there needs to be an investagation. Cause 1 pet dying or becoming ill from food or treat is 1 too many . however i do think the situation is being miscunstrued by the media and being hyped up to be bigger than it is.
I apologize to anyone that has lost a pet or had one become ill due to these jerky treats and please dont think im trying to down play your loss cause i honestly am not.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,705,883 times
My vet recommends green beans however our dogs don't care for them as much as broccoli so we give them broccoli as a 'cookie.' It's a lot cheaper than the manufactured dog treats and once their digestive system became accustomed to it all was well. A friend suggested Baa Baa Q's and although the dogs love them, they're expensive (probably because they're produced in the USA) and worse, the cats try to steal them.

My GSD mix steals my socks every chance she gets - clean or dirty. Although she's never eaten any, she buried quite a few when she was a pup. I kept hoping we'd have a sock tree or at least a plant pop up but no luck, LOL

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,570,749 times
"Made in the USA exclusively from products grown and processed in the USA." Look for this on labels. If it doesn't say this or something equivalent then there is no way to be sure you aren't getting products made or made from products from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or