U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM

857 posts, read 1,674,858 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Tramadol for their dogs.
My old girl has been on it for 3 days now and she usually sleeps most of the day.
She has been awake most of the days since being on it, sleeping at night but waking earlier than usual.
Is there an upper in this med?.

She seems a lot more comfortable.
I have Rimadyl for her but see this has a better effect and it is supposed to have less side effects?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Maybe having less pain is why she's awake more? It sounds like its working for her. Tramadol upset our dog's stomach, but he had a history of tummy problems anyway. I never heard of it acting as an upper. When your dog is awake all day, is she agitated or is she acting normally?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
Yes one of my clients switched from Rimadyl to Tramadol because he was worried.

She's been WAY livelier and playful ever since - like two years now. She's 14. She was always feisty personality (cute not annoying) and just this week he called me to tell me she wanted him to get UP so she proceeded to pull the blanket off the bed - first time ever. LOL She usually just waits for him to get up first in the morning. She also has done things like pull food out of the grocery bags from the floor even though he's had the same routine of putting them there since she was little while unpacking. And THIS dog happens to have a Cushings diagnosis but no real symptoms. Eating more is a Cushings side effect but she's eating the same amount without acting any more hungry than ever.

Also I had another one with a good result switching his 12 yo St Bernard to it. Personality wise. He was starting to growl at strangers and stopped when he switched meds.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
We also switched from Rimadyl to Tramadol when our peke had some back issues. It seems to happen
at least once a year. It has worked well for him. (My husband uses Tramadol too)

Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Well it seems Tramadol it is.
I have read it is addicting but that isn't really an issue, since my girl is going on 14yrs and pain relief is the most important issue.

Rimadyl didn't seems to do that much and it scares me to death

Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Well it seems Tramadol it is.
I have read it is addicting but that isn't really an issue, since my girl is going on 14yrs and pain relief is the most important issue.

Rimadyl didn't seems to do that much and it scares me to death
I have a 17 yo on Rimadyl as needed right now. For a front leg limp. It's not really working for her anymore if she's active but she still loves to walk. She just had bloodwork that came back excellent thank goodness. So I'm gonna ask her vet to switch to the Tramadol after reading this thread. I actually didn't think about it before. THanks!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 PM

If you have your dog on Tramadol for a length of time, don't stop it suddenly otherwise your dog will have withdrawal symptoms/Taper off slowly.

I am enjoying seeing my old girl so lively.

good luck.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
What is the correct way to withdraw dogs from tramadal? How do you taper the meds?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,427,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1006 View Post
What is the correct way to withdraw dogs from tramadal? How do you taper the meds?
Ask your vet. Nobody here knows your dog and his/her situation nor is qualified to answer unless they have DVM after their name.

Tramadol is a narcotic...thus the caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs