Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times

Advertisements

All my life I have been plagued with an odd ability to attract dogs. Used to run home from school from dogs that would follow me, even ended up keeping a few of them. My partner and I moved to our home here in 2000 and ever since, we have had dogs show up in our yard, 14 now after 13 years. I have had to keep none of them, fortunately and only one of them did I find off of our property. One day it was 3 black dogs in three sizes, another day it was 2 great pyrenees. I have had large dogs and little dogs. Today it was a nice well behaved brown and white male dog, I had just opened the gate for the cable/internet guy and this dog came in and went to our back door and dog door. I found his phone number and address on his tags and called the owner who was at work 25 miles away from here. He said to just put the dog back in the yard and I did, but the dog came back 20 minutes later, back in our yard. So now I am waiting on the owners Mom to come and pick him up. His name is Tyrone and he is very well behaved, sits, lays down and stays on command. They live about 3/4 of a mile from me and Tyrone has done the round trip twice now, so he has had a good walk today. Anyone else have a problem/blessing of attracting dogs
Attached Thumbnails
People who attract dogs-tyrone.10-24-2013.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Dang it, this dog got in our side yard and killed two of my chickens and chased the rest off. Out of ten hens and three roosters, all I can find are the oldest rooster and five hens. Try to save someone some money by not turning their dog into animal control and this happens. Oh Fudge.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
With me it's dogs and kids. While I don't have stray kids turning up in my yard on a regular basis, can't say the same for dogs. Somehow they know a dog loving fool lives here.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
With me it's dogs and kids. While I don't have stray kids turning up in my yard on a regular basis, can't say the same for dogs. Somehow they know a dog loving fool lives here.
It might be that smell

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Well yeah, there is that...

Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Dang it, this dog got in our side yard and killed two of my chickens and chased the rest off. Out of ten hens and three roosters, all I can find are the oldest rooster and five hens. Try to save someone some money by not turning their dog into animal control and this happens. Oh Fudge.
Oh NO! Tyrone did that?

I'm so sorry.

So you'd probably make a good pet sitter/dog walker with that energy you have. It may be that you've also been attracting strays on the property because of the live stock. If dogs can smell cancer they definitely can smell animals/food from far away.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh NO! Tyrone did that?

I'm so sorry.

So you'd probably make a good pet sitter/dog walker with that energy you have. It may be that you've also been attracting strays on the property because of the live stock. If dogs can smell cancer they definitely can smell animals/food from far away.
Half my neighbors have livestock of some kind or another, any given day one can go out and hear chickens, geese, roosters, goats or cows and once in a while a horse. One of my neighbors is like me, dogs show up at her house regularly and she only has dogs. At the dog park, the dogs come right up to me as if to talk and frequently it seems like I know what they are saying. I am also that way with many birds and even once had a wild squirell come to me for help and a ram at the park followed me and my dog till I got it to the caretakers dwelling. When we raised manx cats, when ever one gave birth, they demanded that I assist every time. I was conceived on a dairy ranch and raised around animals, my first were guppies in kindergarten that led to gold fish, hamsters, dogs, cats, mice and rabbits, then for awhile it was snakes, now it is birds that I have adopted or flew into my life, literally flew into my life, one a parrot and one a parakeet. Even had a small brown rabbit show up in our yard that refused to leave, so I told him that he would have to have his own cage for his own protection and he obliged us and seems like a happy rabbit, safe and secure. Sometimes, ha ha, many times is more like it, I feel like a sort of Dr. Doolittle. In the morning I sit on the sofa drinking my coffee and have a dog laying beside me and a parrot on my shoulder while I am on my laptop.

Oh, I have been both a pet sitter, once for 21 days, and a dog walker for a friend with two big dogs and another one that has two medium sized dogs. I also maintain more than 30 yards in my garden service. Everyone is always asking me where I get my energy from and I really do not know, but I take advantage of it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Half my neighbors have livestock of some kind or another, any given day one can go out and hear chickens, geese, roosters, goats or cows and once in a while a horse. One of my neighbors is like me, dogs show up at her house regularly and she only has dogs. At the dog park, the dogs come right up to me as if to talk and frequently it seems like I know what they are saying. I am also that way with many birds and even once had a wild squirell come to me for help and a ram at the park followed me and my dog till I got it to the caretakers dwelling. When we raised manx cats, when ever one gave birth, they demanded that I assist every time. I was conceived on a dairy ranch and raised around animals, my first were guppies in kindergarten that led to gold fish, hamsters, dogs, cats, mice and rabbits, then for awhile it was snakes, now it is birds that I have adopted or flew into my life, literally flew into my life, one a parrot and one a parakeet. Even had a small brown rabbit show up in our yard that refused to leave, so I told him that he would have to have his own cage for his own protection and he obliged us and seems like a happy rabbit, safe and secure. Sometimes, ha ha, many times is more like it, I feel like a sort of Dr. Doolittle. In the morning I sit on the sofa drinking my coffee and have a dog laying beside me and a parrot on my shoulder while I am on my laptop.

Oh, I have been both a pet sitter, once for 21 days, and a dog walker for a friend with two big dogs and another one that has two medium sized dogs. I also maintain more than 30 yards in my garden service. Everyone is always asking me where I get my energy from and I really do not know, but I take advantage of it.
OMG that's fascinating. I'm especially interested because I am a pet sitter/dog walker LOL. You get your energy from your family and being born with animals, I guess. But I never thought about them just picking someone out of nowhere randomly. ( I meant energy in the calm trustworthy sense not duration sense haha).

Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
they show up in my yard with some regularity....

in about 2005, an elderly Rottweiler and his pal, a little beagle.... they stayed about 10 days and then took off again for parts unknown.... I had JUST found rescue to take the rottie, but was going to keep the beagle ... when they made their escape.....

a few years with none....

in 2009, a beagle escaped his neglectful home several times and came straight to mine.... was going to keep him until it became clear my Davey-Long-Legs was having none of THAT.... so he went into rescue in another state

in 2010, a neighbor's dog showed up in my yard.... took her to the vet to check for a chip and she was reunited with her people within the hour.....

in 2011, first Roxie in August and then Chico in November showed up..... no one made any real claims to them so they are with me to this day.....

in 2013, I have had a neighbor's dog escape his house three times now and come to mine.... next time he shows up, he will go into witness protection....

2011 to now.... a neighbor's great dane gets loose every now and again and comes over.... he's so freakin' big, he barely fits into the backseat of my Sonata.....

Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
We have had two female labs (sadly, both long gone), but they both loved, LOVED! my hubbie's cousin AND an older friend of ours. Neither one of these gentlemen had a dog, but both of our labs swooned at these men to the point of embarrassment lol. I always wondered what would happen if the men came to visit at the same time. We only had one of the labs at this point, and she turned inside out with delight at having both of the men in our house. She ran back and forth to them. It was funny.

These labs just had a "thing" for these men, and we never knew why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs