U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,150,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Why do you think dogs (or cats for that matter) are turned down at emergency clinics if their owner is not able to pay for treatment in full? I have always found this to be really unfair. Doctors are required to treat humans at emergency hospitals.. so why should veterinarians be able to turn out dogs that need emergency care?

I know that people seem to value a dog's life much less than a human's, but I do not. In fact, I love my dog more than most people.. do you think there should be some kind of law placed where veterinarians are required to treats animals that need emergency care?
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: off topic/hijacking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,088,204 times
mod cut

There are no laws pertaining to the emergency treatment of animals.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,278,513 times
Quote:
Because sometimes things happen and not everyone has $10,000 for emergency surgery. The person could have bought the dog when he was financially stable and then suddenly lost his job... then what? I just think very few people have compassion these days.
It's not one dog that the vet will have to cover. There could be hundreds of people who take their pets to that one vet, and if 10% of them (probably there would be more) claim financial problems, that could end up being well over $100,000 in just one year that you think the vet should cover in order to be compassionate.

Whenever I hear people think that someone should just swallow $10,000 to help someone else, I always wonder what those people have done. What I mean is, if you found out about a dog that needed $10,000 worth of emergency care and the owner couldn't pay, would you write the owner a check for ten grand to cover it? If not, then why should the vet?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM

13 posts, read 20,420 times
Furthermore, I don't know where you are located, but the emergency vet clinics I have been to in SW PA are not "top notch", nor do they have "other vets referring patients to them".

The places I have taken my pets were more of a "we'll get them patched up as best we can until your vet can see them" type of FOR PROFIT owned by BIG BUSINESS establishment.

Oh, and the "How many euthanasias do YOU feel comfortable doing in a year"? comment: COMPLETELY heartless and cruel to say to someone who has recently suffered the loss of a beloved pet.

UNBELIEVEABLE how cruel people can be. (See that? I can capitalize entire random words also).

Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 PM

819 posts, read 2,831,004 times
Where does somebody start to look for Pet Insurance that isn't a total scam?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,108,076 times
Quote:
Why do you think dogs (or cats for that matter) are turned down at emergency clinics if their owner is not able to pay for treatment in full? I have always found this to be really unfair. Doctors are required to treat humans at emergency hospitals.. so why should veterinarians be able to turn out dogs that need emergency care?

I know that people seem to value a dog's life much less than a human's, but I do not. In fact, I love my dog more than most people.. do you think there should be some kind of law placed where veterinarians are required to treats animals that need emergency care?
Would you be willing to put money into a fund helping pet owners pay the bill. I don't mean 5 dollars.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM

856 posts, read 1,365,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Would you be willing to put money into a fund helping pet owners pay the bill. I don't mean 5 dollars.
If I had it, of course.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,088,204 times
Quote:
If I had it, of course.
You can start with my kitten. Her ER bill was $1,000 for the first night we found her. She was a six-week-old feral dying in the middle of the road. The ER vet said she might not have lived another 15 minutes. She was starving to death and her glucose dropped was 30. I'll set up a fund. I'll call it Bucks for Bobbles. Heck, I'll call it Bucks for Bobbles and the Basset since the Basset is getting old.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,556,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Where does somebody start to look for Pet Insurance that isn't a total scam?
Pet insurance companies are not a scam, total or otherwise. They're like any other insurance we buy, and they are subject to every state's insurance regulations. Pet's Best is one company. We have VPI, or Veterinary Pet Insurance, and we like them a lot. We pay $275 each for two dogs annually, and we got more than that back in claims this year for one of our dogs. (The other guy's policy just came.) Submitting a claim is very easy, too. Scan the vet bill and email it to them with their form filled in, and then wait for the check.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM

43,471 posts, read 52,484,972 times
I do not have pet insurance, but everyone I know who does seems happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or