U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Chicago
860 posts, read 1,369,730 times
Reputation: 1902

Advertisements

Why do you think dogs (or cats for that matter) are turned down at emergency clinics if their owner is not able to pay for treatment in full? I have always found this to be really unfair. Doctors are required to treat humans at emergency hospitals.. so why should veterinarians be able to turn out dogs that need emergency care?

I know that people seem to value a dog's life much less than a human's, but I do not. In fact, I love my dog more than most people.. do you think there should be some kind of law placed where veterinarians are required to treats animals that need emergency care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Manhattan, Ks
1,280 posts, read 6,145,562 times
Reputation: 1805
mod cut If you own a pet, their care is your responsibility and no one else's. Why should the vet and her staff pay to treat your dog?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-26-2013 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago
860 posts, read 1,369,730 times
Reputation: 1902
Because sometimes things happen and not everyone has $10,000 for emergency surgery. The person could have bought the dog when he was financially stable and then suddenly lost his job... then what? I just think very few people have compassion these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM
 
13 posts, read 20,489 times
Reputation: 55
It's my understanding that pets are considered property under the law. So, it's very doubtful that veterinarians will ever be required to treat an emergency situation if the bill can't be paid. It would be the same as forcing a mechanic to fix your car for free so you can drive to work. Never going to happen.

I completely understand what you mean about loving your pet(s). When my Lab was diagnosed with Stage IV-A lymphoma, we spent over $4,000. trying to save his life. It didn't work, we lost him after 6 months of treatments.

Pets are very expensive to own. When we didn't have enough cash to handle an emergency vet clinic visit, (piece of wood lodged in throat, bee sting with facial swelling), we used a credit card and paid it off over time.

In my experience, the after hours emergency animal clinics are extremely costly, and most likely, profit driven. Sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,580,700 times
Reputation: 4251
This will sound cold, but this is reality. Emergency medical care for pets is not an entitlement. You cannot expect veterinary hospitals to pay for treatment that people can't afford. As was mentioned above, the federal government reimburses for unpaid ER visits by humans, but there is no way the government is going to do that for animals, especially with the ACA going into effect, which is designed to reduce those unpaid ER charges to the government.

You could buy insurance for a dog, but most people don't because they prefer to take the risk they won't have a crushing veterinary bill. Notice I said it was a risk. Sometimes you just lose. After spending more than $20,000 in vet bills in 2012 and losing both dogs in the process, we now have insurance for our two new dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
Reputation: 47257
Has nothing whatsoever to do with lack of compassion. It is economics. Too many people feel vets should give their services away cause sweet little puppies and kitties need it. Vets are, by nature, compassionate. They also have tens of thousands of student loans, rent and staff salaries to pay. it is a business and those who don't treat it as such don't stay in business very long.
Too often some folks promise to pay and then renege and in the mean time the vet has given her time and talent for which she gets no compensation. What is she supposed to do? Hold the pet captive till you can get back with the rest of the money. And of course not every body has that kind of money sitting around. That is why every reputable vets office has application for a special credit card which can be used in emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Reputation: 43641
OP, if you are worried about paying for emergency vet care, then get yourself a couple of credit cards. Put them away, unused, and keep them for emergencies only.

That way you have the means to pay for emergency care for your dog.

I can see no reason for the taxpayers to pay for your veterinary care. I can't see any reason why the veterinarian should absorb the cost of care for your pet, either. It's your pet and your responsibility to pay for your own pet's care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago
860 posts, read 1,369,730 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Old Bread View Post
It's my understanding that pets are considered property under the law. So, it's very doubtful that veterinarians will ever be required to treat an emergency situation if the bill can't be paid. It would be the same as forcing a mechanic to fix your car for free so you can drive to work. Never going to happen.

I completely understand what you mean about loving your pet(s). When my Lab was diagnosed with Stage IV-A lymphoma, we spent over $4,000. trying to save his life. It didn't work, we lost him after 6 months of treatments.

Pets are very expensive to own. When we didn't have enough cash to handle an emergency vet clinic visit, (piece of wood lodged in throat, bee sting with facial swelling), we used a credit card and paid it off over time.

In my experience, the after hours emergency animal clinics are extremely costly, and most likely, profit driven. Sad, but true.
I'm very sorry about your Lab =( Losing a pet is like losing a child..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago
860 posts, read 1,369,730 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
This will sound cold, but this is reality. Emergency medical care for pets is not an entitlement. You cannot expect veterinary hospitals to pay for treatment that people can't afford. As was mentioned above, the federal government reimburses for unpaid ER visits by humans, but there is no way the government is going to do that for animals, especially with the ACA going into effect, which is designed to reduce those unpaid ER charges to the government.

You could buy insurance for a dog, but most people don't because they prefer to take the risk they won't have a crushing veterinary bill. Notice I said it was a risk. Sometimes you just lose. After spending more than $20,000 in vet bills in 2012 and losing both dogs in the process, we now have insurance for our two new dogs.
I'm sorry about your loss =( I have looked into pet insurance and to me, it's really not worth it. It's not like human health insurance.. you actually have to pay the entire cost of treatment out of pocket and then the insurance reimburses you. What's the point in having it then? What if you don't have the money to pay upfront? That's why you bought insurance in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 01:25 PM
 
857 posts, read 1,777,387 times
Reputation: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Why do you think dogs (or cats for that matter) are turned down at emergency clinics if their owner is not able to pay for treatment in full? I have always found this to be really unfair. Doctors are required to treat humans at emergency hospitals.. so why should veterinarians be able to turn out dogs that need emergency care?

I know that people seem to value a dog's life much less than a human's, but I do not. In fact, I love my dog more than most people.. do you think there should be some kind of law placed where veterinarians are required to treats animals that need emergency care?

Not sure what kind of work you do but out of a good heart would you provide items plus work and do it for free.

No I think not, not to be unkind but it is impossible to support something like you are asking.

People should take responsibility for their pet.
Sadly some people don't think about this before buying a dog.


You can buy insurance or get a loan ,there are ways to pay off your dogs bills slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top