U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
The guidelines on the bag, or what a breed book tells you, is a good starting point, but chances are you will end up having to feed them a little less or a little more than what the bag...
So true. I don't feed my dogs anywhere near what the bag indicates - they'd be huge if I did.

A good rule of thumb is that your dog should finish his meal within 30 minutes. If there is food left after 30 minutes, there is too much food (dog not hungry enough).

I also break the meal up into 2 meals - breakfast and dinner. I know this does not work with everyone's schedule, but it's something to consider if it works for you. It can help their metabolism to break it into 2 meals and it's probably easier on their belly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 10:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,458,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So true. I don't feed my dogs anywhere near what the bag indicates - they'd be huge if I did.

A good rule of thumb is that your dog should finish his meal within 30 minutes. If there is food left after 30 minutes, there is too much food (dog not hungry enough).

I also break the meal up into 2 meals - breakfast and dinner. I know this does not work with everyone's schedule, but it's something to consider if it works for you. It can help their metabolism to break it into 2 meals and it's probably easier on their belly too.
We do the same thing, except our pups have to eat a bit more than what the bag says because they are so incredibly active! lol! But we split their daily amount into two meals, one in the morning and one in the evening. And we will give them 30 minutes to eat what they are going to eat. We would pick their bowl up after 30 minutes, even if they hadn't finished, but that has never happened. All three of our dogs are always completely done eating within a couple minutes! lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or