U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,398,202 times
Default How to tell if your rescue dog was abused?

As you know our baby is a rescue. He has a great temperament but a mind of his own. I call him to come but he comes at his convenience. We were at the vet today, and he tried giving our dog a pill. He kept resisting and wouldn't let the vet open his mouth. Do you think he was abused? Do I need a pet psychologist for him?

He likes his belly rubbed but when I try to turn him on his back he seems 'distrustful' like someone smacked him one too many times in a past life. I always talk in a calm voice to him and when I rub his belly, he is fine. But, he has his eyes open the whole time, as if he is very cautious.

Will he ever 'grow out of it'? What can I do to help him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 PM

3,100 posts, read 179,638 times
lots of dogs are abused but i dont think any of these are necessarily signs. maybe he just didnt want to take a pill (probably wasnt beef flavored right?). maybe he just doesnt feel secure on his back. some dogs are just gonna do what they want and no one can seem to force them. i wouldnt worry but you never know right?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,256,300 times
I have dogs that hate pills so that not a sign and belly rubbing and trying to get him on back that is a submission position and he may have alph personality.

Abused dogs I have rescued are more shy and lift hand or anything they cower or run. Some it takes time to get used to new surroundings and realizing get love not beatings.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I have dogs that hate pills so that not a sign and belly rubbing and trying to get him on back that is a submission position and he may have alph personality.

Abused dogs I have rescued are more shy and lift hand or anything they cower or run. Some it takes time to get used to new surroundings and realizing get love not beatings.
Thanks. It's good to know. The vet thought it was unusual since it was the first time he had a hard time trying to give a dog a pill.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM

829 posts, read 6,591,923 times
I have a girl who hates pills, but I never abused her. I usually put them in a hot dog so she will easily take them.

Lots of dogs don't like to be flipped over. They might like belly rubs and will lay on their back for you but if you try to turn them over they will resist or be looking for a time to turn back over and get up. I have tried to make my female lay on her back once but she didn't want to. I was going to try to clip her nails like that because I thought it'd be easy but she didn't want to lay on her back.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM

1,932 posts, read 7,331,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
As you know our baby is a rescue. He has a great temperament but a mind of his own. I call him to come but he comes at his convenience. We were at the vet today, and he tried giving our dog a pill. He kept resisting and wouldn't let the vet open his mouth. Do you think he was abused? Do I need a pet psychologist for him?

He likes his belly rubbed but when I try to turn him on his back he seems 'distrustful' like someone smacked him one too many times in a past life. I always talk in a calm voice to him and when I rub his belly, he is fine. But, he has his eyes open the whole time, as if he is very cautious.

Will he ever 'grow out of it'? What can I do to help him?
I'm definitely not a dog expert.. lol .. But to me, that doesn't sound like your dog was abused, that sounds like a dominance problem. I guess that could be from abuse, but those are all things that a dominate dog would do. As you know, we own three APBTs and APBTs tend to be a dominate breed. All of our dogs are well trained now, but when we first got each of them and we had to completely train them, they would try to be the dominate ones every now and then, and they would do the same kind of things you described. Even Brooklyn who was never abused or neglected in any way. I don't know ho you are with your dog so I really couldn't tell you if it is a dominance thing, but like I said, that's what it sounds like to me. I guess it could be from abuse though. Do you think that your dog sees you as the pack leader all of the time?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Do you think that your dog sees you as the pack leader all of the time?
How do you tell? He does tend to growl at dogs who are bigger. He does tend to mark every vertical structure outside.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 AM

25,088 posts, read 11,211,920 times
The pack submits to the alpha male or female. My dogs have all been indoctrinated I am the Lord, Master, and Alpha male.

And believe me, there are many times when they forget. Like begging for food while we eat at the table. (I don't mean just staring, our older female will put her paws up on "someone's" leg!) or continuing to bark after I have told them, "no bark".

If I want my dog on her back, she will submit- period. No whining, struggling, or otherwise. But that is just me. When we first brought our "unsocialized" adult male german shepherd home, he refused to submit or to be on leash and it became a test of wills.

For the dog's own safety, IMO you must teach your dogs to submit to you. I have been to the vet thousands of times and see owners who are passively attempting to get their dogs to obey, which is really to submit. It is PATHETIC! When we go to the vet, my dogs are always on their best behavior.

That has always been my pet peeve: Owners who cannot control their animals.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 5,406,022 times
here are some of our abuse signals we got from our Dog!
He was scared of hands or being in the reach of people.
He get scared if objects are raised above him ...once I handed my husband a big spoon and cody flipped out. Another time he was hanging near me and I lifted a hammer to the wall and he fliped out.
He can't handle stress and shuts down to the point where he can't hear us and does sniffies(reason he will always b a leash dog!!!).
He is very cautious around men, especially darker skinny men, but he loves big fat Caucasian men. It took my Dad two week to get Cody to let him touch him, but now he i in love w/ him.

Doesn't sound like your dog was abused, sounds like your dog doesn't like it when you put stuff in his mouth and who can blame him. Put the pill in cheese or peanut butter ..works every time.

We don't worry about our dog submitting to us. He knows who is momma is and is a pleaser by nature, but I know some breeds will test your position in the household.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM

133 posts, read 470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Thanks. It's good to know. The vet thought it was unusual since it was the first time he had a hard time trying to give a dog a pill.
The first time? I mean this with the utmost respect...... but I don't believe that for one second - unless that was the first time they tried giving a dog a pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs