U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,324 posts, read 5,321,913 times
Reputation: 3821

Advertisements

Has anyone heard anything about dogs who were not allergy prove prior to going grain free being unable to tolerate a regular diet if switched back after an extended period of time...seemingly developing food sensitivities once switched back?
My dogs have been on grain free for about 3 years (I have been rotating recipies within the brand with no problems).
Decided I would switch to a Solid Gold product due to it being easier for me to purchase location wise and within a week and a half 3 dogs with hotspots and gnawing at their feet. 4th dog is doing fine and has no symptoms.
I like Solid Gold, I've fed it in the past without issue and I would like to continue with it.
I tried switching them before from the grain free to another brand (don't remember what) a few months back and had the same problem.
Don't want this to turn into a debate of brands just wondering if anyone else had heard of anything like this happening.
I'm blaming the food solely because its the only thing that's changed and I would find it hard to believe that three unrelated dogs just happened to develop food allergies at the exact same time in one household.

I did switch them back to grain free about 5 days ago and already the symptoms are resolving.

Any thoughts or info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 19,803,672 times
Reputation: 9531
yes, it cancause this issue...

in general with mostallergies exposure often lesses the effects...
so a dog with MILD grain allergies on a grain based diet may not ever show obvious signs of allergies (or signs that you woudt think obvious allergies) because of teconstant exposure....
but remove them from the grain for a while the allergies often become more svere upon re-introduction...

kinda like how many children "grow out" of pet allergies if thers a pet in te ouse while there growing up...
but if they are notexposed the allergies tend to get increasingly worse...

It can also be a time issue...allergies that were ild and even none existent can intensify with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 AM
 
10,608 posts, read 13,400,793 times
Reputation: 17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Has anyone heard anything about dogs who were not allergy prove prior to going grain free being unable to tolerate a regular diet if switched back after an extended period of time...seemingly developing food sensitivities once switched back?
My dogs have been on grain free for about 3 years (I have been rotating recipies within the brand with no problems).
Decided I would switch to a Solid Gold product due to it being easier for me to purchase location wise and within a week and a half 3 dogs with hotspots and gnawing at their feet. 4th dog is doing fine and has no symptoms.
I like Solid Gold, I've fed it in the past without issue and I would like to continue with it.
I tried switching them before from the grain free to another brand (don't remember what) a few months back and had the same problem.
Don't want this to turn into a debate of brands just wondering if anyone else had heard of anything like this happening.
I'm blaming the food solely because its the only thing that's changed and I would find it hard to believe that three unrelated dogs just happened to develop food allergies at the exact same time in one household.

I did switch them back to grain free about 5 days ago and already the symptoms are resolving.

Any thoughts or info?
Yeah three at once would surprise me, too.

How long ago did you feed the Solid Gold before switching? Was that the last one 3 years ago?

She might have changed the formula since then. Or the sources of her ingredients. It's a "possibility" that there is one common ingredient in both brands that doesn't agree with them.

example:

http://www.lukesallnatural.com/newsl...ngeJan2010.pdf

But I do agree, it could just be their allergic threshold was reached on the switch.

My SUPER allergic Bulldog tolerated SG really well but gained too much weight on it back in the day. As he got older he would have an immediate reaction to ANYTHING with Flax in it....even though it was in the SG formula that he ate for about 4 months while he was younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
 
3,825 posts, read 6,185,666 times
Reputation: 3869
Dogs do not eat grain. Switch to homemade dog food after doing a little research. Your dog will thank you. Have you ever seen a dog standing in a wheat field munching away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Vegas
1,789 posts, read 1,730,658 times
Reputation: 1762
I'm sorry that I didn't keep the thread but there is a series of outlets that provide pure meat foods for dogs. They are natural carnivores and usually eat only a very small amount of vegetation.

However, some dogs like my Chihuahua were bred as close family pets and fed scraps from the table. That means she not only eats meat but frijoles and tortillas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
 
10,608 posts, read 13,400,793 times
Reputation: 17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Dogs do not eat grain. Switch to homemade dog food after doing a little research. Your dog will thank you. Have you ever seen a dog standing in a wheat field munching away?
Oh right!

Did you forget you're the one who just said there is only one dog food on the market worth feeding you dog... then listed a can of TRIPE that isn't even a dog food but a supplement.

Your ~credentials are invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,189,222 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Dogs do not eat grain. Switch to homemade dog food after doing a little research. Your dog will thank you. Have you ever seen a dog standing in a wheat field munching away?
Dogs DO eat grain, just not very much. They're not obligate carnivores. They're opportunistic scavengers. having adapted to a huge variety of foods. If the stomach/intestinal contents of their prey contained grains and vegetation, that's what they ate. While I agree that many dog foods contain far too much grain and promote it as a source of healthy vitamins and energy, I think we as humans know that too much grain (outside of a macrobiotic diet) can be a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 PM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,725 posts, read 4,910,236 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Dogs DO eat grain, just not very much. They're not obligate carnivores. They're opportunistic scavengers. having adapted to a huge variety of foods. If the stomach/intestinal contents of their prey contained grains and vegetation, that's what they ate. While I agree that many dog foods contain far too much grain and promote it as a source of healthy vitamins and energy, I think we as humans know that too much grain (outside of a macrobiotic diet) can be a bad thing.
Right dogs need carbohydrates in some form
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top