Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,990,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't feel that "Simply nourish" would be a good thing to feed any animal.
Look at what's in it.

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Pumpkin, Beef, Carrot, Green Pea, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate, Vitamin E, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Potassium Iodide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I don't think feeding my dog any thing with chloride would be a good thing.
I am not a chemist, but isn't chloride in the same family as chlorine?
Bob.
Actually this does not sound like a poor dog feed to me. choline is a supplement for liver health: CHOLINE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Any dog food that lists any kind of real meat (chicken) in the first ingredients is good. And it does not have a long list of preservatives. All the additives you see listed are vitamins supplements:
Manganese: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
EFSA - Scientific Opinion of the FEEDAP Panel: Cupric sulphate pentahydrate for all species
There is some question about the safety of copper sulfate pentahydrate, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM

811 posts, read 1,548,690 times
I feed my dogs Victor Senior/Healthy weight and they both do well on it and like it. Premium food (4.5 stars per Dog Food Advisor) at much less cost. I also supplement my older boy with yoghurt and pumpkin. He's a bulldog mix and I haven't found a food yet that helps with the gas!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM

92 posts, read 315,355 times
We feed Wellness Core: Reduced Fat.

5 stars on Dog Food Advisor. 6 stars on Dog Food Analysis.

Not cheap, but worth it.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,638,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
My dog has been on Royal Canine years ago and it was much cheaper and you got a lot more in the bag than you do now. I went to Petsmart tonight and saw Blue went up. I think it was like $5 less when I was buying it. I looked around and I just couldn't decide if I really wanted to switch, so I got another bag of Royal Canine. He's been on this for almost a year now, and the longest time he's been on any food.
Quote:
He's been picky since a pup. If I had to cook for him, there would be no meat in his diet. I am a vegetarian and WILL NOT cook any meat here~! I know I buy dog food that is meat, but it is stored on a porch where he eats.
Are you afraid you will be contaminated? You may be a vegetarian, but your dog is not. No wonder he's a picky eater. Personally, I'd run away. Maybe you shouldn't have a dog. Get a bird instead.

However, if you persist...try home cooked. Remember, he still needs protein! Will he eat beans? you might be able to make your own concoction of foods he likes. Add something that he naturally craves, and you may not have a picky eater any more.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Royal Canin is a 3-star dog food according to Dog Food Reviews - Royal Canin Medium Breed Adult 25 - Powered by ReviewPost

On a 6-star scale, that would put them about midway. Not real good, not bad. Maybe deciding factor would be comparison of ingredients in other brands to price. There may be better ones at very little cost difference.

For example, on Royal Canin Medium Dog Food | Review and Rating (dogfoodadvisor.com) Royal Canin Med. (dry) is only 2.5 stars. Note the "controversial ingredients" in red. I'd like to know why they are controversial, and why they are in the dog food.

I haven't done that comparison but I am looking at the Acana line, and like the 5-star rating on dogfoodadvisor.com for Acana Grasslands. No red questionable ingredients there, and the site says this food is "enthusiastically recommended". It's got a bit more protein than I like, so hopefully I can find a lower protein in their line of grain free, and one that doesn't use white potatoes.

We have learned over the years that poor nutrition does lead to health problems over time. Not always, but why take the chance. I'd rather spend the money on food now than later at the vet. Too much heartache comes with that too.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
there controversial because while they may not be "good" ingredients, there not "dangerous" either and are industry standard "fillers"

ie corn and corn based ingredients will always be controversial, MOST dogs have at least some degree of allergy to corn, and corn is a CHEAP filler, theres realy no nutritional value to corn, its simply stratch (sugar)...but its not against any legal or industry standard and is a frequent ingredient in dog food because its cheap!
byproduct is controversial because while technically its still "chicken" theres little to no MEAT involed (beaks feet and feathers) (and often includes bits off the floor, stuff jammed in the machines, and in super cheap foods frequently included floor sweepings and potential for metal shavings and such..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,902,313 times
I feed a combo of a good kibble (no corn, soy, wheat) and raw (chicken and goat) For treats I find ones that are of the same quality as kibble or I use baby carrots. They love Jack mackerel and it's great for their coat.

I'm very picky about what my dogs eat...I learned many moons ago and after spending ungodly amounts of money at the vet that these three things are a big allergy triggers in dogs.

I had a lab who had skin issues and stunk to high heaven and was plagued with ear infections... my current vet kept telling me to feed him Science Diet and keep cleaning his ears and bathing him 3x a week and insisted that Milk Bones were perfectly fine for the dog. About 6mths later he hired a newly minted vet who literally changed my life and my dogs lives...she very quietly suggested we dump the SD (that they sold for $$$$$) and to find a kibble that had no corn, wheat, soy or beef.....it took a bit, but we found one I think it Nutro and within 6 weeks or so you could see the difference...within 6 mths he a was like a brand new dog. She also said your lab doesn't need to be bathed but once a year...stop over-bathing him and feed him good quality food and you'll see a difference.

The really sad part of this story?? She told me that if I ever told her associates what she told me, she'd lose her job because they don't want to know about diet and nutrition for dogs...just want to sell as much SD as they can.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I feed a combo of a good kibble (no corn, soy, wheat) and raw (chicken and goat) For treats I find ones that are of the same quality as kibble or I use baby carrots. They love Jack mackerel and it's great for their coat.

I'm very picky about what my dogs eat...I learned many moons ago and after spending ungodly amounts of money at the vet that these three things are a big allergy triggers in dogs.

I had a lab who had skin issues and stunk to high heaven and was plagued with ear infections... my current vet kept telling me to feed him Science Diet and keep cleaning his ears and bathing him 3x a week and insisted that Milk Bones were perfectly fine for the dog. About 6mths later he hired a newly minted vet who literally changed my life and my dogs lives...she very quietly suggested we dump the SD (that they sold for $$$$$) and to find a kibble that had no corn, wheat, soy or beef.....it took a bit, but we found one I think it Nutro and within 6 weeks or so you could see the difference...within 6 mths he a was like a brand new dog. She also said your lab doesn't need to be bathed but once a year...stop over-bathing him and feed him good quality food and you'll see a difference.

The really sad part of this story?? She told me that if I ever told her associates what she told me, she'd lose her job because they don't want to know about diet and nutrition for dogs...just want to sell as much SD as they can.
This is a great post. Thank you for sharing all that. So true. (rep coming your way)

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,024,047 times
Whoever posted me a reputation from here, I don't get the Royal Canine dog food from the Vet, but from Petsmart.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Whoever posted me a reputation from here, I don't get the Royal Canine dog food from the Vet, but from Petsmart.
Doesn't make it any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs